Any Montrealers here?

buttongirl
Rookie
Rookie

Any Montrealers here?

#1 Unread post by buttongirl »

I'm looking for some input about a parking ticket I got with my motorcycle.

Has anyone ever received a parking ticket on their bike for being less than 5 meters from the intersection? Did you contest it, and is there any point in contesting?

Thanks!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Was your bike parked less than 5 meters from the intersection ? Pay the fine.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

buttongirl
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by buttongirl »

Now, see, that's why I'm asking for the opinion of Montrealers... It is common practice here, and in fact many marked and metered parking spots are less than 5 meters from the curb.

I was parked in a spot where I have seen bikes parked every day, far closer than I was, without tickets. Not to mention they're on every corner.

So... any Montrealers?

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

OK then retain a lawyer and take them to court.

It's common practice (here in the States) to drive above the posted speed limit. Does that make it right? Does that mean I shouldn't get a ticket if I get caught?

Why does it make a difference that I don't live in Montréal? Are you saying that only people from Montréal can have opinions on this subject? For all you know I'm a native that happens to reside in KC.

Do try to have a nice day.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Sandibeach
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by Sandibeach »

I agree with John - unmarked streets here have max 3 hour parking (talking about the suburbs). Nobody complies with that, my neighbours park on the street rather than their own driveway 24 hours a day. But every once in a while they come around and ticket everyone.

Being 2 hours away from Montreal, I figure it's the same thing... you probably just parked there on one of those off days.

Live & Learn!
2007 Honda CBR125

feliz
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by feliz »

Guilty as charged but contest it if you feel like waisting everyone's time. Where I live usually just showing up in court will get you off, the courts are too busy with real issues.
feliz -
1975 Yamaha XS650
1974 Kawasaki KZ400
2001 Kawasak W650
2009 Susuki Bandit 1250
1977 Kawasaki KZ400
1982 Yamaha SR250 Exciter
2011 Honda CBR251R

Erg0n
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2007 Kawasaki 650R

#7 Unread post by Erg0n »

i'm a native of montreal, but now live in calgary. parking is 5 meters from an intersection, i remember my mom got a ticket for parking within 5 meters with her car. however in the downtown core this usually doesn't apply unless it's rush hour and theres a bus stop at the intersection. whichever the case you can contest it .I know a guy who has several speeding tickets and contests every single one. he may not have gotten the tickets waved but managed somehow to get it reduced
[size=59] A totality of numerous objects that coruscate or are refulgent are not necessarily composed entirely of auriferous substances.
[/size]

viennatech
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Any Montrealers here?

#8 Unread post by viennatech »

buttongirl wrote: Did you contest it, and is there any point in contesting?

Thanks!
I'd say that contesting a ticket anywhere in North America is a great idea, EXCEPT Quebec. Here you are not allowed to send in a "rent a cop lawyers" you must have a real lawyer. (Or represent yourself). Do you speak French? it will require you to jump thru hoops to get an English court date.

It's WAY harder to contest tickets here than anywhere else that I've expereinced.

If it's under $100 I'd just suck it up and pay as much as it hurts me to say that.
and you are right, looking ut my office window now I count at least 6 bikes that qualify for your ticket. and that's just at one intersection...