License Plate?

Crank
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

License Plate?

#1 Unread post by Crank »

Questing for you guys;

I bought my ride in California in November last year and the bike still has a US license plate. I have insured the bike already here in Alberta but I am not sure if I can ride with the US plate. I have not gone to get a new license plate because of the weather :frusty: . Any advice would be appreciated. I would really like to go for a ride today :P

Thanks,

Crank

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

How could you insure it if you don't have it registered? If the bike is registered, then you would have an alberta plate for it.

I assume you got all the required import paperwork, inspections, and modifications done on the bike when you brought it into Canada? If you haven't, then good luck getting it registered, and if the insurance company doesn't know that it's a California bike, well then.......
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Crank
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Crank »

I had to insure the bike before I imported it into Canada. All the paperwork is done, all I need to do is take it to Canadian Tire to get inspected (i.e., daylights). Without the proper paperwork in place; I would not have my bike sitting in my garage right now, it would be sitting at customs. 8). All I need to do is go to Canadian Tire get the inspection done, from there go to AMA and get the license plate but unfortunately Canadian Tire does the inspections Monday to Friday only( Which means I have to take a day off from work). What I was wondering was if I can ride with the California plates? Is there a “allow” time for me to ride with those plates?

Thanks again,

Crank

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#4 Unread post by Gadjet »

I don't know if there is an 'allow' time for that. Are the California plates in your name?

If not, then if you get stopped you could be in a lot of trouble (possible stolen plate charge?)

I'd recommend getting the inspection and registration done before you try to ride it.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by jonnythan »

Gadjet wrote:How could you insure it if you don't have it registered? If the bike is registered, then you would have an alberta plate for it.

I assume you got all the required import paperwork, inspections, and modifications done on the bike when you brought it into Canada? If you haven't, then good luck getting it registered, and if the insurance company doesn't know that it's a California bike, well then.......
You can insure anything you want. I can take out an insurance policy on *your* bike if I wanted.

You can't ride it if it's got California plates and is registered to someone in California. You have to register it with your local motor vehicles bureau.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Crank
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Crank »

Ok,

Thanks guys, I will wait till next Friday and get it inspected and I should be able to get the Alberta Plates :).

Crank

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by slimcolo »

Not sure about Canadian legality, but in California,Texas and a few other states the tags belong to the bike. They transfer with ownership, where as most states they are property of seller not buyer.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Ok, so, lemme get this straight... you bought a UK spec Harley in California and imported it to Alberta and now you need to get a plate for it. Can I tag along when you go to the Motor Vehicle Registry? :lol:

Seriously, though, the Alberta MVR are the ones you should be asking about the legality of riding on a California plate, anyway. I don't know what the laws are like now, but back in '86 when I was stationed to Calgary after serving in Germany for 4 years, I was able to ride my BSA 650 Thunderbolt and drive my Chev Malibu Classic with the European plates; all I had to do was provide proof of insurance for them in Alberta. I did have to change over to Alberta plates after 90 days, though.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Crank
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Crank »

Gummiente wrote:Ok, so, lemme get this straight... you bought a UK spec Harley in California and imported it to Alberta and now you need to get a plate for it. Can I tag along when you go to the Motor Vehicle Registry? :lol:

Seriously, though, the Alberta MVR are the ones you should be asking about the legality of riding on a California plate, anyway. I don't know what the laws are like now, but back in '86 when I was stationed to Calgary after serving in Germany for 4 years, I was able to ride my BSA 650 Thunderbolt and drive my Chev Malibu Classic with the European plates; all I had to do was provide proof of insurance for them in Alberta. I did have to change over to Alberta plates after 90 days, though.
lol Gummiente,

I think you are right, a friend of mine told me the same, he said that I should be able to ride the bike with the California plates for 90 days, but I don't really want to risk it and end up paying a big phat ticket :roll:

I will get it all straighten up on Friday :kicking:

Thx

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

Gadjet wrote:How could you insure it if you don't have it registered? If the bike is registered, then you would have an alberta plate for it.
Am I missing something here? You need to have it insured in Alberta before you can get it registered.