How was Your Weekend Ride?

ShawnKing
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

How was Your Weekend Ride?

#1 Unread post by ShawnKing »

My wife and I have just recently moved to the Danbury, CT area and it's my "job" to find nice places to ride/restaurants/places to see, etc. This weekend while she was out of town was spent doing just that.

I'm a big fan of taking your ride to an isolated area to test aspects of it - for me, I've been wanting to test out the ABS to get a feel for when it kick in and how it feels. I got the chance to feel the ABS this weekend - unfortunately....

I was cruising "comfortably" through some back roads, nice and twisty, when I noticed this particular mailbox on the side of the road. I thought that it looked really odd cause it was so low to the ground and had an odd looking stand....like it was on skinny legs and...it was walking across the road...

DAMMIT! WILD TURKEY!

See, we don't have those damn things in Canada so I'm not used to seeing them, walking across the fricking road. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to at least stand the bike up before I hammered both brakes.

While trying to bring the bike down from speed, I thought, "What the hell is *that* feeling?" It wasn't until the bird had figuratively flipped me the off and meandered into the woods that I realized It was what the ABS felt like when it kicked in - an odd fast pulsing through the wheels.

The most fun I had this weekend was following a group of cars. Now, these weren't ordinary cars - I happened to come up on 10 Porsches and BMW sports cars. I was following about $750,000 worth of 4 wheeled beauties.

As I followed I noticed they weren't going all that fast, relatively speaking. And even though we were on a fairly twisty (and definitely fun) mountain road, there were quite a few (short) passing zones....Hmmmm....

Next chance I had, I hammered the throttle of the FJR. It felt like someone had lit a rocket under my seat - I was amazed at how the FJR just leapt forward with no downshifting necessary.

This could be fun!

Sure enough, I managed to catch/pass 9 of the cars and all of them relatively easy. I would have caught the last guy but he turned off into a gas station. :)

As always, I'm glad I wear a full face helmet because it would have been embarrassing to have anyone see me giggling to myself. What a great weekend to put another 500 miles on the new bike. :)
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

One of my favorite roads in your part of the world is NY State Route 22 - just 7-8 miles west of you. The first 15 miles aren't so good, but north of Wingdale it gets better, and stays nice all the way up (well, I've only been as far as Salem, NY). Not extreme twisties, but nice sweepers and beautiful views to the east of the Berkshire and Green mountains.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ShawnKing
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by ShawnKing »

jstark47 wrote:One of my favorite roads in your part of the world is NY State Route 22 - just 7-8 miles west of you. The first 15 miles aren't so good, but north of Wingdale it gets better, and stays nice all the way up (well, I've only been as far as Salem, NY). Not extreme twisties, but nice sweepers and beautiful views to the east of the Berkshire and Green mountains.
We're heading up to Americade in June and it looks like you've just planned out our route - thanks! :)
Shawn King
Your Bike Life
http://www.yourbikelife.com
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

Stories - Weekend Ride

#4 Unread post by RocketGirl »

I had an awesome weekend for riding. Weather was great here and a friend was riding up from Annapolis, MD area. With my husband and I (rookies), that made for a manageable group ride of three.

We started out from New Castle, DE to Oxford, PA via Elkton, MD. Time constraints dictated that we stop in Oxford for lunch to get me back in time for an evening engagement. My husband's GPS told us that the Oxford Diner was nearby (of course all I did was peak around the building to see where it was). A great place where locals, young and old, like to frequent. Good, fresh food at reasonable prices.

The next day we met another rider friend for brunch and we gave them a tour of Longwood Gardens and looped around to finish up at a homemade ice cream place, Woodside Farm Creamery.

On this spectacular riding weekend, my odometer clicked over 1,000 miles! I'm looking to build up my saddle time and stamina to make a trip to Ocean City, MD before the year's end. :D

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#5 Unread post by Brackstone »

I was sick :(
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

I just got my bike back after being hit by a car in June. So needless to say, it was a great weekend for me. :D
2008 SV650