Help, Help, Help! 1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 750

Bizi-boy
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Help, Help, Help! 1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 750

#1 Unread post by Bizi-boy »

Hey guys,
I'm not sure what to do, but I just bought this bike. When I start riding, I don't notice any problems. Once I get to my destination, I notice my boots and and jeans have little specks of oil on them front. I am by no means a mechanic in anyway, so I look in the owners manual looking for an answe, I feel like it mine as well be written in Swedish. I would just like to be able to ride the bike with a nice pair of jeans on and still feel confident when I'm done. After emailing the previous owner, he says the bike does that and he beliefs that the problem is likely a "valve-cover leak" or a "cam plug leak". Also saying it requires a "valve cover gasket" and a "tube of gasket sealant". If that's the case, why didn't he fix it? But that's neither here nor there... Tell me guys, how easy is it to get this stuff? Can I do these repairs myself (with someone's guidance)? Should I even consider taken it to a shop and let them charge me my life's savings? What do I do? :frusty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

To be honest from the looks of the Zephyr you're gonna have to do a lot of work just to GET to the gaskets. If you're not handy with a wrench and missing a service manual you might want to go to a shop...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha