Brit visiting Canada, can I get a motorcycle licence?

paris
Rookie
Rookie

Brit visiting Canada, can I get a motorcycle licence?

#1 Unread post by paris »

hi everyone,
I am in the Caribbean, and am trying to find a way to get my motorcycle licence to ride the Trans american trail (USA).
Where i am, it seems to be taking incredible amounts of time and money, and so I'm researching other ways i could get it. In the USA, you must have at least a resident or student visa, ie i couldn't be a visitor and pass my motorcycle licence.

I wonder if its the same in canada? I am a UK citizen, and already have my full DRIVERS licence, for cars, but no motorcycle licence.

many thanks for any advice,
paris

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Brit visiting Canada, can I get a motorcycle licence?

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

paris wrote:hi everyone,
I am in the Caribbean, and am trying to find a way to get my motorcycle licence to ride the Trans american trail (USA).
Where i am, it seems to be taking incredible amounts of time and money, and so I'm researching other ways i could get it. In the USA, you must have at least a resident or student visa, ie i couldn't be a visitor and pass my motorcycle licence.

I wonder if its the same in canada? I am a UK citizen, and already have my full DRIVERS licence, for cars, but no motorcycle licence.

many thanks for any advice,
paris
You only have a UK issued car driving license but not a motorbike license, an yet you wish to ride here in North America?????????

My advise is forget the bikes and just rent a car.
Always ask why.

paris
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by paris »

my god, wasn't it clear from the title that my wish is NOT to ride a motorbike without a licence, but to obtain my licence in Canada as a UK citizen? maybe it wasn't that clear. i spose a bad reply is better than no reply though. :)

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

I don't know if it's possible to get the motorcycle endorsement if you're a non-resident. If you have your motorcycle licence in UK then it should be valid in Canada.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

dr_bar wrote:I don't know if it's possible to get the motorcycle endorsement if you're a non-resident. If you have your motorcycle licence in UK then it should be valid in Canada.
It's not possible for a non-resident to get a drivers or riders license in Canada just as it is not possible for a non-UK resident to get one there.
Always ask why.

Erg0n
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2007 Kawasaki 650R

#6 Unread post by Erg0n »

In alberta you need a canadian address to get a license
[size=59] A totality of numerous objects that coruscate or are refulgent are not necessarily composed entirely of auriferous substances.
[/size]

paris
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by paris »

ok thanks for the replies all, (including ceemes). paris

RTR
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by RTR »

If you're starting off in Ontario. The following would apply for obtaining a Ontario Drivers License.
How to Apply For a Driver's Licence in Ontario
1. Bring Personal Identification
Effective January 23, 2006 new standards for acceptable identity documents will apply

To apply for a licence, you must show proof of your legal name, date of birth (must state the day, month and year of birth) and signature. Documents must be original and valid. Photocopies and expired documents are not acceptable. The following documents are acceptable:

Any one of the following documents may be used to satisfy the requirement to provide proof of legal name, complete date of birth and signature.

Passport (Canadian or Foreign)
Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
Permanent Immigration Documents
Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or
Record of Landing (Form 1000) or
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (Form IMM 5292)
Temporary Immigration Documents
Student Authorization (IMM 1442)
Employment Authorization (IMM 1442)
Visitor Record (IMM 1442)
Temporary Resident's Permit (IMM1442)
Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434)
Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703 with photo)
Report Pursuant to the Immigration Act (IMM 1442 with photo)
Note: An applicant will be required to provide additional documents if the document presented from the list above does not indicate the legal name, complete date of birth (day, month, year), or signature. The applicant will be required to provide additional documents proving the missing or incomplete information (i.e. legal name, complete date of birth and signature) from the documents listed below.
Weblink for additional information.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... vlicen.htm

Good luck!
www.redfridays.ca