Hi from Edmonton

motokid
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Hi from Edmonton

#1 Unread post by motokid »

Just joined and wanted to say hi. I'm about to get into biking, getting ready for my riding course) and would like to hear some info, opinions and experiences about the typical newbie stuff:

- Safety gear. I have to get some of that for the course. What would you suggest?

- Insurance. Is there a consensus about insurance companies available around here. What's the best way to go about it. What should I expect for 250 cc bike?

- Dealerships. After looking around for used stuff, I'm getting the idea that buying new might make sense in certain situations. So, my naive question is: how does it work with motorcycle dealerships in town? Do they work the same like auto dealers or the rules are different. Can I expect to test ride a bike on their lot? Am I expected to haggle to get the best price or the price on paper is set in stone? What other charges are reasonable to expect? Any good out there. Dealers to avoid? (I'm looking into Yamaha/Honda/Hyosoung).

- Buying used. How does it typically go? I'm not asking what to check for - the info is already available around here. Are test rides generally allowed? Any places/pros to have a bike checked before buying or I'm overly paranoid?

- Practice lot. Is there any good empty parking lot/surface on the south-west side of the city, where I'd be able to come and practice riding with passenger?

Thks a lot if you even take time to read all this. Any response highly appreciated.

K

RTR
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Hi from Edmonton

#2 Unread post by RTR »

motokid wrote:Just joined and wanted to say hi. I'm about to get into biking, getting ready for my riding course) and would like to hear some info, opinions and experiences about the typical newbie stuff:
Have fun with the course. You will be taught everything you will need to know to be successful for the weekend. Be sure to ask plenty of questions of your instructors. Draw from their experieces.
- Safety gear. I have to get some of that for the course. What would you suggest?
For the course itself. You can get away with just wearing denim jacket and pants. Along with a DOT approved helmet. Gloves that cover the entire hand. Boots that cover the ankle. Then for the open roads. You will want to get some proper riding gear. However, it's a matter of personal opinion what to wear. Personally, I like the textile gear. Joe Rocket Ballistics.
- Insurance. Is there a consensus about insurance companies available around here. What's the best way to go about it. What should I expect for 250 cc bike?
Best thing to do is pick up the yellow pages and start calling the insurance companies and brokers. Keep shopping until you find the best rate you can. Also ask your instructors at the course who they have their insurance with. They maybe able to direct you to a more motorcycle friendly insurance company in your area.
- Dealerships. After looking around for used stuff, I'm getting the idea that buying new might make sense in certain situations. So, my naive question is: how does it work with motorcycle dealerships in town? Do they work the same like auto dealers or the rules are different. Can I expect to test ride a bike on their lot? Am I expected to haggle to get the best price or the price on paper is set in stone? What other charges are reasonable to expect? Any good out there. Dealers to avoid? (I'm looking into Yamaha/Honda/Hyosoung).
You probably WON'T be able to test ride the bikes from the dealerships. Sometimes they will host a DEMO day, where you can go and test ride certain bikes. Keep you eyes and ears open for those postings. Also ask at the dealerships when they are going to be hosting a DEMO DAY. Can always try haggling. Never hurts to try.
- Buying used. How does it typically go? I'm not asking what to check for - the info is already available around here. Are test rides generally allowed? Any places/pros to have a bike checked before buying or I'm overly paranoid?
Sorry, I have never bought a used bike. Therefore I don't know how to advise.
- Practice lot. Is there any good empty parking lot/surface on the south-west side of the city, where I'd be able to come and practice riding with passenger?
Again, sorry but I am from Ontario. I don't know Edmonton very well. However, it is best for you to be comfortable riding the bike before considering taking a passenger.
Thks a lot if you even take time to read all this. Any response highly appreciated.

K
Good luck with everything. Be sure to post up pics once you get your bike.
www.redfridays.ca

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by KarateChick »

What RTR said, +

MC Course - I've heard nothing but positive about both the Safety Council and NAIT courses. Relax & enjoy the course, have fun. There will be a lot taught. If anything happens (what I mean is any kind of "oops" during the course) just take a deep breath, break if needed and continue. Don't feel embarassed but just keep going, the instructors have likely seen it all and are great.

Gear - If you're not sure what to get yet, just borrow some if you can. You can always do your shopping later. Prices get better later in the season (August...) altho the selection decreases.

Insurance - Shop around. Be sure to check with your current insurer if you have one.

Buying New - Have heard nothing negative about Edm's dealers. Usually no test rides, only sitting on a bike. Bike prices have gone down from a year ago, 08 models cost less than the 07's.

Buying Used - Test rides will depend on the seller. I didn't allow them when selling my bikes. If you are uncertain about a bike, bring along a knowledgable friend if you can to look at the used bike and make sure you ask the seller lots of questions.

Practice Lot - Always a great idea. Since I don't know exactly SW where in Edm I don't have any suggestions. Keep your eyes open when you are out and you may see a good one. Ummm... if you are a new rider, why are you looking to practice with a passenger already?
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

motokid
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by motokid »

thks for replies so far. keep them coming.

Why am I asking about passenger - very good question. It's because I don't know. I intend to approach the whole thing with caution and smarts :). Start on smaller bike, practice a lot and not get stupid. In the meantime, I'm quite into mountain bike riding, have been driving stick all my life and in good physical shape. So, you tell me, how much of solo practice/experience before it is reasonable to try with the passenger practice on the parking lot. Once I try that, I'll know when I'm ready to take it to the streets.

thks

K

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

motokid wrote:So, you tell me, how much of solo practice/experience before it is reasonable to try with the passenger practice on the parking lot. Once I try that, I'll know when I'm ready to take it to the streets.

thks

K
Personally, I would give it the better part of a whole season of riding before taking on a passenger. And that's a season filled with a whole lot of riding under all kinds of different road and weather conditions...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

motokid
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by motokid »

KarateChick wrote:...
Buying New - Have heard nothing negative about Edm's dealers. Usually no test rides, only sitting on a bike. Bike prices have gone down from a year ago, 08 models cost less than the 07's.
You know, I have noticed that even though I don't know anything about last year's prices. Contrary to common logic that it is better to buy used for the first bike, just glancing the local adds makes it questionable. Owners of 1 or 2 year old bikes are asking pretty much close to for what one can get them new. Example, there is 2007 Rebel advertised for $4400, 2007 Virago 250 for $4000, 2002 Rebel for $3500.

What is reasonable depreciation on bike in one or 2 years? I'd certainly rather dish out $4600 on new bike than $4000 on used one, no matter the mileage.

K

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by KarateChick »

Don't know what is reasonable deprec but my #'s went like this:

0% for 1st bike (2001 Ninja250) bought used and sold next year for same $

2006 Ninja250 - new for 6300, sold after 1 year and over 10,000 km with 23% deprec

The 2007 Ninja250 (old style) was selling for 6300 and the 2008 model (new style) sells for 4250. On top of that GST has gone down from 6% to 5% but dont forget to figure that in on a new bike.

With that kind of math I would think it's tough to get someone to buy a pre-2008 used bike (just talking the ninja250) unless the asking price is a lot lower plus there is the mileage consideration on used and usually a 1-yr warranty on a new. Now I don't have any info on the Rebel or Virago but definitely worth checking if those are what you are interested in to start with.
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

FlyGrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Another YEG Rookie!

#8 Unread post by FlyGrrl »

Aloha!

It's been two years in the making and I'm finally committed to one of those AB Safety Council courses in August; p.s. I'm super pumped about finally getting a bike!

It kinda sucks though from what I'm reading that my bike of choice (GSX-R 600) might be a bit much for me to handle as a beginner. I'm 5'8" ish, have some dirt-biking experience in the Okanagan, and fly planes...what do you think? Will I be able to handle it?

I'm hoping once I get back to e-town at the end of summer I might be able to link up with an experienced rider to show me really how to ride! I'm not in it to be stupid, I just want my "Top Gun" moment riding to the airport...lol

Thoughts? Comments? Queries on life?

motokid
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Another YEG Rookie!

#9 Unread post by motokid »

FlyGrrl wrote:
Thoughts? Comments? Queries on life?
Hi,

I can't endorse enough ASC course. It's amazing what those guys can do to your riding and confidence level in 2.5 days. At the end, when taking on lot test for class 6, you'll start wondering like "that's all that's necessary to pass the test - too easy?"

As for the good prospective on beginner's bikes, check out this site:

http://bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/

K

FlyGrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks!

#10 Unread post by FlyGrrl »

Hey, good tip!! That reading will keep me busy for a good part of the day...I'm bored anyways since we got weathered out from flying this morning in Winnipeg.

Thank you for the link :P