SBK15
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Little trail rides on DR650

#1 Unread post by SBK15 »

I've had this DR for 3 months now, and I LOVE IT!! Theres a gravel trail near a lake where i live, so i decided to take the DR on it. after about 2 miles the gravel trail ends and it a big dirt trail begins, which is Dual Sport heaven. The only question i have is theres a sign right before you go on the gravel trail that says No dirbikes, car, fourwheelers, etc. But you can walk on it and ride a bike on it. So how much trouble would i be in if i ride on it? I ride on it ALL the time and i've never seen any body on it. I'll post a picture

-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

omg, are those tires trail wings? I rode an older DR650 with those... I "procreating" hate them. Though I probably WAS pushing their capabilities on the terrain i was riding in. Still, they suck for real off road. But I REALLY like how those DRs feel. Great machines. Oh, if you get caught on that road, probably tresspassing and illegal opperation of vehicle. Expect it to be towed.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

shadylady
Rookie
Rookie

dirt trail

#3 Unread post by shadylady »

You know, sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than permission :laughing:
When in doubt, RIDE!

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#4 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Dont make it harder for law abiding motorcyclists. There are fewer and fewer off road areas for us to ride legally as it is. We don't need the law breakers making it harder for us to keep these areas open. If it says no motorcycles then dont ride a motorcycle on it.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

fireguzzi wrote:Dont make it harder for law abiding motorcyclists. There are fewer and fewer off road areas for us to ride legally as it is. We don't need the law breakers making it harder for us to keep these areas open. If it says no motorcycles then dont ride a motorcycle on it.
+1

Fighting for offroading land is harder and harder. If it's unmarked 1 or 2track, go for it. If not, keep your bike off there.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

Ninja Geoff wrote:omg, are those tires trail wings? I rode an older DR650 with those... I "procreating" hate them. Though I probably WAS pushing their capabilities on the terrain i was riding in. Still, they suck for real off road. But I REALLY like how those DRs feel. Great machines. Oh, if you get caught on that road, probably tresspassing and illegal opperation of vehicle. Expect it to be towed.
The "death wings" are fine for easy stuff like gravel and simple trail riding. It is a true DP tire. I think it's a good match for the DR650 as nobody is going to be doing any serious off roading with it.

If you are doing mud, tight technical stuff, or sand, yeah I would get rid of the deathwing and go with TM or a more agressive DP tire.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#7 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

lol, if i had one it'd be doing mud, sand, single/double track, TAT, etc, all the while with soft luggage and a few lighting farkles. I've heard great things about TKC80's if you find you want a more aggressive offroad DS tire down the road. FWIW it's what I'd get.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]