Proposed Trip to Canada/Alaska

Babs
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Proposed Trip to Canada/Alaska

#1 Unread post by Babs »

Hi, my parents and I are trying to arrange a bike trip from Vancouver, BC up to Anchorage, Alaska and then back to Calgary, Alberta. We estimate it will be a 4 week trip. Bike hire prices are so steep that we've looking into air-freighting our trusty Triumphs there and back but I have to wonder if there's a cheaper option! Is it possible to buy a bike on arrival in Canada or does this require a Canadian licence? Any advice would be very welcome!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Proposed Trip to Canada/Alaska

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

Babs wrote:Hi, my parents and I are trying to arrange a bike trip from Vancouver, BC up to Anchorage, Alaska and then back to Calgary, Alberta. We estimate it will be a 4 week trip. Bike hire prices are so steep that we've looking into air-freighting our trusty Triumphs there and back but I have to wonder if there's a cheaper option! Is it possible to buy a bike on arrival in Canada or does this require a Canadian licence? Any advice would be very welcome!
Hi from the Vancouver BC area.

Given the price of good bikes along with price of insurance, your best option is to air freight your bike here and then back home. Depending on who you use, the cost round trip should be between 1000 to 2500 pounds sterling per bike. Last year I ran across a lad from the UK who did exactly the same thing and I have been considering do it as well during my next trip back to the UK.
Always ask why.