New rider here, very young too lol

athif
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

New rider here, very young too lol

#1 Unread post by athif »

hi, i live in brampton ontario 18 years old, i just got my m2, im thinking of getting a bike, something to ride to work.

how much would insurance cost for me, roughly, and what kind of sport bike should i get, nothing too powerful

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

If you took a CSC motorcycle safety course, you will get a discount on insurance from most companies... but you're still going to pay a lot as a new rider on a sportbike. There's a whole thread on sportbikes for beginners and new bike recommendations for beginners in the "New Bikers Forum" here that you might want to browse through. They should help you decide what to buy as a first bike.

And welcome to TMW!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#3 Unread post by dean owens »

the best thing to do when you've narrowed down what bikes you're really looking at is to call your insurance company and ask them how much insurance will be. and call a few different companies to get different quotes. i've had geico my whole driving life until now. i got an fz6. geico wants to classify it as a sports bike and charge me about $800.00 a year. farm bureau classifies it as a standard and is going to charge me $320.00 a year.

as gummiente said, there is a great thread about starting off and getting sport bikes. there are a few great ones to start on. i think y'all have the cbr125 up there. might be too small for you, but worth a try. there's the ninja 250 and 500. there are some other grey area sport bikes but i'd start there and see what you can do with those three.

good luck.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

joleicia
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by joleicia »

also, some companies will charge less if you have been insured for motorcycle driving recently. I'm paying out the nose for the first year with the company that doesn't care about insur. recent history, and then switching to the one that does after first year. Having an agent that will do the leg work for you helps.