Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

To the mountains

#1 Unread post by Johnj »

A friend and I are going on a trip to the mountains. More to follow.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Johnj

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Well that was fun. Scott and I left last Thursday for our trip to the mountains. First we jammed out I-70 to Oakley KS and headed south on US-83 where we turned south. We stopped at Monument Rocks (Pic 1Pic 2Pic 3) then camped out at Lake Scott State Park.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Johnj

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

We got up Friday morning, broke camp and rode into Scott City for gas and coffee. Looking over the route, which had us going south to Garden City then west on US-50, I suggested we take KS-96 west from Scott City because it turns into CO-96 and ended at US-50 just east of Pueblo. It turned out to be a nicely paved, straight, lightly traveled road. We had to slow to 35mph two or three times, and the only stop sign was where we took fuel. We averaged 70mph over that section so we made good time.
Once we got on US-50 traffic built up and we just crawled along through Pueblo. The run to Cańon City wasn't bad, but Cańon City itself was a nightmare. It was hot and the traffic was stop and go but we finally made it out of there and started the run to Monarch Pass. We stopped for gas in a much cooler Salida and inquired about the weather at the pass, as the mountain top was dissapearing into this ominous looking storm cloud. "It's snowin' at the pass now, but that will clear out before you get to the top" the attendant assures us. I added a LSTshirt and my textile jacket as Scott bundled up and we were off. The temperature dropped as we rode up the mountain and I was getting some hints of snow. I could see snow on the ground on both side of the highway but the road itself was fine. The dark clouds that had engulfed the mountain top continued moving to the north and as we crested the pass blue sky could be seen to the west. Down the mountain we went. On to Gunnison CO where the over night low was going to be upper 30s or low 40s so we got rooms. I love Gunnison, a room, Chinese diner and a pint of Svedka for under $75.00

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

The run to Cańon City wasn't bad, but Cańon City itself was a nightmare. It was hot and the traffic was stop and go
Its the three major construction projects going on right now. Especially the new storm drainage/sewer, that and the fact that Canon seems to take about 5 times as long to do a project as other towns. (if you think that US50 is bad you should see some of the off hiway projects like 5th St. and Orchard that have been torn up since last October, actually part of same sewer project, glad i live out side of Canon city limits) Don't know if last weekend was worse than usual as I was up in Denver

Johnj

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Saturday morning started sunny and chilly. Scott and I walked two blocks to get breakfast, then returned and packed the bikes. Turning north on CO-92 we stopped at the Blue Mesa Dam (Pic 1,Pic 2) CO-92 is the West Elk Loop Scenic Byway that skirts one side of Black Canyon. The pavement is good, the speed limit is 35mph and there are lots of curves. I mean those tight ones, where your between a rock and a no place. Big sweepers, little zigs and zags, series of s-curves, over hill and through dale. We stopped and took in the scenery often. Like at Hermits Rest, which overlooks the rugged San Juan Mountains (Pic 3). We spoke to a nice British couple there. We watched when they pulled in and approached a group by the restrooms. After several minutes of conversation they headed over to us. "Which way are you going" she asks with a accent. "North" we reply and I point to the north. "Well there is a tree down in the road on your side about two miles from here." Scott deadpans "Damn...your taking the surprise away." I reply "No duck and weave man." I can see her man standing behind her starting to crack up. Then she asks if I have a cell phone to call the Rangers. "Somebody is already on it lady" I say "I'll bet some guys have that tree hooked up to their bikes trying to drag it off the road." "Awesome burnouts dude" Scott quips. "And if that don't work I bet someone else is on their way to town to get a chainsaw." She replys "You Yanks don't seem the least concerned about this tree in the road. We're British you know." "I thought you were from Dallas" I say, causing her man to laugh out loud. She turns and gives her man 'the look' and he stifles his laughter. She turns 'the look' on Scott and myself and we keep right on smiling. She moves off to the next group of people. As her man turns to leave I say "Good luck mate". He gives a little wave and moves off. About four miles up the road we came across a tree down in the north-bound lane that had a bunch of guys standing around directing traffic and doing burnouts trying to drag the tree off the road. We didn't stop but I imagine someone was on his way back there with fore mentioned chainsaw. I think I kinda overloaded on the scenery. (Pic 4,Pic 5) It just got to the point were I had to stop looking around and concentrate on the road. Running along the bank of Crystal River with the towering red rocks on my left and all too soon the rocks fade away and we reach the urban setting surrounding Carbondale. North to Glenwood Springs and I-70. West to Rifle and north to Rifle Gap State Park. This is a great facility. The camp spot had water and power but wasn't WIFI yet so no web again. We went into Rifle to find something to eat. We found a bar full of Harley guys and gals. They were very helpful with suggestions about future purchases we should make. We declined and gave a bit of a geography lesson. We also left to find some place that served food. After eating some pretty good wings at Wingdings (I kid you not) we went back to our camp site. We were situated with the camp host on one side and the obnoxious group on the other. It was like a bad reality show, with the park ranger showing up to read the riot act a couple times and then they all passed out by 9:30. The sky at night is so awesome, up in the mountains like that. I always sleep really good while camping. The fresh air, the night sounds, those buttheads in the next campsite puking their guts out at 2:30am. Which brings out a new park ranger for another reading of the riot act. I get up about 6:30 and set a fire for coffee. Drinking coffee and breaking camp, folding and rolling tents, air mattresses, and sleeping bags, packing bikes and making sure the fire was out we rolled out about 7:45. Now we get on I-70 East. I generally don't like interstate highways much but this section between Rifle and Denver is all right. Big sweeping curves, tunnels, elevated roads. All too soon we reach Denver and then boredom. The only thing worse than the eastern slope is knowing the Kansas Plain is next. Thank $@# for Colby KS an oasis of motels, fast food, gas stations, and liquor stores. That's where we met this guy (Pic 6) with the trike. As with many chance encounters on the road no names were offered by any parties. We spoke of his trike, how he bought it as a new bike, had a couple back surgery's, then installed the trike kit. He built the trailer himself, and was taking a GM 4-speed transmission from NV to PA. We gassed up in the Monday morning sunlight and headed east on 70. I was running around 75mph with Scott trailing. Trike dude settled in about 70 and slowly faded in the mirrors. We thought he might pass by while we stopped for breakfast but we didn't see him again. The rest of the trip was uneventful.

I highly recommend this road as a day trip if your anywhere nearby.