Ontario insurance - US motorcycle license?

w_poet
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Ontario insurance - US motorcycle license?

#1 Unread post by w_poet »

Hi everyone,

I just moved back to Ontario, Canada after living in California for several years. I have a California Driver's License with a motorcycle designation. I just bought a used 1985 VX750 Yamaha Virago from someone in Quebec and would like to register and ride it in Ontario. In order to get Ontario insurance coverage on this bike, I need to have an Ontario driver's license with a motorcycle designation. The Ontario License bureau told me to show them my California driving records to get equivalent Ontario motorcycle designation. Fair enough.

The problem is that I contacted the California DMV about getting my driving records sent up nearly a month ago, and they are being very very slow about this, particularly because of the state budget crisis there - they say they get 200 - 800 driving record requests per day. In the meanwhile, I'd like to insure my bike temporarily, get an Ontario license plate, and ride before the snow begins to fall here...

Does anyhow know if this can be done? Can I get temporary Ontario motorcycle insurance with a US motorcycle license, and use it to register a bike in Ontario?

Thanks for any help!

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

This all sounds strangely familiar...
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Johnj
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Obi-wan Kenobi - These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Stormtrooper - These aren't the droids we're looking for.

Obi-wan Kenobi - You can let us go now.

Stormtrooper - You can go.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.