Lack of Support for U.S. troops

NYGiantsGuy
Regular
Regular

Lack of Support for U.S. troops

#1 Unread post by NYGiantsGuy »

I have a rant/ am asking for others' input. As a novice, I try to keep up with the efforts of the IAVA in raising awareness and support for our troops returning home. Recently they solicited on the internet 111,000 "pledges of support." No money, just a few seconds to essentially sign a petition of support. I was disappointed and surprised to learn that they fell far short of their goal. By, like, 90,000 or something.

I know when our troops come home they are greeted with joy and respect, unlike in the Vietnam era, but this sort of apathy gets me wondering. Are people just sick of the conflicts overseas? Did not enough people know about this particular effort (it was just one thing, after all)? I'm concerned, in literally the simplest ways, people are unwilling to support our military men and women.

Thoughts?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

There is a big difference between supporting our troops and fawning over them.

Does this "pledge of support" include revealing your e-mail address?

FYI I do support the military, I don't agree with the politicians that use it incorrectly.

However I never respond to any "chain letter" deals.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#3 Unread post by Nalian »

I would not sign something like that - to me the feel meaningless. I'm not sure what it does other than really make the people who are creating it and some people who sign it feel better. I mean, was there something attached to hitting that number - was it going out there? What was the point of it?

I spent the past year participating in the "Soldiers Angels" group where we are assigned to a group of soldiers and we send them all kinds of things - DVDs, magazines, candy, snacks, and other things to remind them of home. I usually include a short note that thanks them for their service and dedication as well. There are literally thousands of us that do this for them, expecting nothing back.

This year at work we made our holiday 'volunteer' time associated with some local groups that we felt need a lot of help, but last year we assisted a charity that works exclusively with veterans. Every time I've gotten myself involved with one of these groups, I am just one of many.

So I guess I am not seeing what you're seeing, and I think that the troops have a lot of support. I wish that our government did a better job of taking care of them both overseas and when they're home, but all I can do there is try to vote in people who I think will make that happen.

NYGiantsGuy
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by NYGiantsGuy »

Nalian wrote:I wish that our government did a better job of taking care of them both overseas and when they're home, but all I can do there is try to vote in people who I think will make that happen.
That's essentially what this is for, to raise the profile and awareness of what the IAVA is attempting to achieve. I understand your objections to this sort of thing, but I've seen what the IAVA has begun to undertake first hand, and I'm just trying to get more people aware of this great association.

Best.

Nalian

#5 Unread post by Nalian »

If that's their goal, I'd say they're a fail. That's not the impression I got from their site and that's not info that was easily accessable, so I guess I'm not too surprised that they didn't reach their goal.

NYGiantsGuy
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by NYGiantsGuy »

Nalian wrote:If that's their goal, I'd say they're a fail. That's not the impression I got from their site and that's not info that was easily accessable, so I guess I'm not too surprised that they didn't reach their goal.
Exactly. Trying to change that.

Nalian

#7 Unread post by Nalian »

NYGiantsGuy wrote:
Nalian wrote:If that's their goal, I'd say they're a fail. That's not the impression I got from their site and that's not info that was easily accessable, so I guess I'm not too surprised that they didn't reach their goal.
Sorry - you're trying to change their message and their website, or you're trying to get their poorly framed and unaccessable "message" out?

NYGiantsGuy
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by NYGiantsGuy »

Nalian wrote:
NYGiantsGuy wrote:
Sorry - you're trying to change their message and their website, or you're trying to get their poorly framed and unaccessable "message" out?
The latter.