Cross-country ride

Monk
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Cross-country ride

#1 Unread post by Monk »

I'm considering a ride from Oregon to Massachusetts (& back). I ride a Honda VT 1100 Shadow Sabre. I'd appreciate any suggestions about luggage, routes, preventive maintenance, any helpful ideas. I'm a geezer, if that matters. Thanks in advance.

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

Re: Cross-country ride

#2 Unread post by jaskc78 »

I'd say just make sure you have an extra of everything you can fit on your bike without sacrificing too many other things. Spark plugs, tire repair kit, allen wrenches, fuses, some bright/reflective rain gear (will serve two purposes), a couple bottles of emergency water and some snack foods, maps, medications, and whatever else you can think of in addition to the clothes and souvenirs and miscellaneous other items you'll be stuffing into your saddle bags or tour pack.

As for preventive maintenance, just have it throroughly checked before heading out. Lube the cables and check brake fluid, etc. That you could either do yourself if you feel comfortable doing it or take to a mechanic or a friend that you trust.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: Cross-country ride

#3 Unread post by mgdavis »

Done any long rides before? Make sure the body is able. Get off and stretch every hour or two. Stay hydrated. Snack. When I ride long days I really notice myself losing attentiveness and not riding as smoothly if I go for too long.

I think the Honda is shaft driven, which is nice for extended riding. If you're going to need to do an oil change en route make sure you're able to. Make sure your tires will last through the trip, or make provision to change them part way. Know how long you can go before running out of fuel, and keep track of the next gas station. Some guys carry an MSR bottle of fuel for just in case.

AAA and a credit card in case something major breaks. And some cash, because not everywhere takes cards or checks.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!