Triggering Stoplights

Roadcowboy1234
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: motorcycle

Triggering Stoplights

#1 Unread post by Roadcowboy1234 »

I (and I assume most of you) have had some trouble triggering some stoplights to turn green. :rant: Now,,,what can be done about it? What do you do? I have on occasion, got off of my bike and pushed the pedestrian button (even tho there isn't a sidewalk for a 1/4 mile in any direction) so that will trigger the light change. I HATE waiting for the light to change. I have decided to chance it when NO other vehicles are coming after about 5 min.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: Triggering Stoplights

#2 Unread post by pchast »

Hmm, I don't know if there is a formula for it. I've had the same problem and it seems to work a little better if I can figure where the wires are in the road and get right next to one... I've also taken off when there was no response and no traffic. No one's caught me Yet.

Pete
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#3 Unread post by jaskc78 »

someone posted on here before that putting your kickstand down either right on top of or right next to the wires helps to trigger the sensors, too. might give that a shot.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

TFGeek
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1981/Suzuki/GS400e

#4 Unread post by TFGeek »

Apparently if you attatch a REALLY powerful magnet to the bottom of your bike, like one of those rare earth magnest, that would also help.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#5 Unread post by zeligman »

don't they make something that's supposed to help you do that? i'll have to google it.. lol
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

vanbc
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 BMW F650GS

#6 Unread post by vanbc »

I've been using my center stand. Pop it in N and use the kickstand "ONLY when there are no cars behind me" like a side street.
There's a video of a bicycle rider using a small magnet on youtube.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

It is annoying, we had a few lights in Calgary that you could wait and wait and wait and they would seem to never turn green for you (well, after about waiting 4 missed green lights the cars behind you get upset).

We found if you put 2 bikes beside each other then it might go, or pull right up and wave a car to come up right on your rear to trigger it... or just go on the RED.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#8 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I've put down my kickstand and run over to the pedestrian signal button and given it a shot. Or let a cage in front or beside me to trigger it.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F