Question for Massachussets Riders (registration)

freezingbelow
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Question for Massachussets Riders (registration)

#1 Unread post by freezingbelow »

I'm sure this question has been asked but I couldnt seem to find much on it (pardon my noobness).

But anyways here is my question, If I were to but a 1981 Motorcycle from a private seller in NH, Would I need a title on not to register/insure it? I tried doing some research and this is what I found:

"If you bought your vehicle from a Massachusetts dealer:

The dealer should present you with a completed Application for Registration and Title (form RMV-1). You need to check it and sign it. If there is a lien against the vehicle, which generally happens if you're buying a motorcycle with a loan, this will be listed on the registration application.Go to your insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent stamp and sign the application.Bring the registration application to your nearest Massachusetts RMV office, along with one of the following:A Certificate of Origin (new motorcycles only)The previous owner's title, if a titled vehicle (model year 1980 and newer)The bill of sale and proof of last registration, if a non-titled motorcycle. Pay the registration fee, which varies depending on the type of vehicle and the plates you want. The dealer should have already collected a 5% sales tax, which will go directly to the state Department of Revenue.

If you bought from an out-of-state dealer or in a private sale, the process is basically the same, except the out-of-state dealer will not supply you with the completed RV-1 form, which you will obtain instead from your auto insurance company or agent. Private sales require a title OR bill of sale from the previous owner of the vehicle.".

So If i'm reading this correctly I DON'T need a title reguardless of the year since its an out out state private sale?

I just want to be sure before I go and spend the money.

Thanks

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Question for Massachussets Riders (registration)

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

You'll need a title to get the license. No matter what state you live in.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

freezingbelow
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by freezingbelow »

Johnj wrote:You'll need a title to get the license. No matter what state you live in.
License? And its not in every state, The title is not required in NH, hence the reason most bikes being sold in Nh dont come with the title.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

I have lost or misplaced my title. How can I obtain a duplicate?

* Complete an application for duplicate title (TDMV18) submit it along with a fee of $25.00.
* If a lien was recorded on the vehicle when purchased, attach Release of Lien or other Encumbrances (TDMV20).
* If the vehicle is jointly owned, all owner’s signatures are required.

* What is the difference between a registration permit and title?
A registration permit allows you to operate a vehicle in NH, and a title is proof of ownership.

* Does NH have a salvage title law?
Yes, every salvage vehicle must have a salvage inspection before it can be registered. Once the vehicle is inspected, a (DSMV 547) will be issued.

From the NH book. You need a title to prove you own the vehicle.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.