Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

Breaking the ice in Alaska!

#1 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Okay, most of the ice is gone and I've already been commuting on the bike for about a month now, but I just had my first weekend ride for fun and thought I'd share with all of you!

I live in Alaska, which is both inhospitable toward motorcycles in winter, and quite possibly the single most sought-after destination for two-wheeled travelers on earth in the summer.

Yesterday I rode with two friends from Wasilla to Seward and back. The miles only amounted to about 360 round-trip, but what a ride it was! The weather was perfect - I mean, wear all your safety gear, and still ride-comfortable-perfect. THAT kind of weather. And when the weather is that good, you can focus more of your attention on the scenery. Scenery, you say? The Seward Highway is touted as one of the most scenic drives in the world. This was my third time on this route, but my first on two wheels. Needless to say, I will forever insist that motorcycles are the BEST way to travel this route!

It's incredible how much more you see, hear and even smell on a bike than you do in a cage.

For those of you who don't know me: I'm a 15 year veteran rider with somewhere near 100K miles under my belt. I'm a soldier in the US Army, currently stationed in Alaska. I'm never leaving. I have found my home. I currently ride a 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom that has less than 10K miles on the clock, including the 3K+ miles I've logged myself. I intend to pile on as many miles as humanly possible until it's time for the next steed. I love motorcycles, and given the choice between twoo wheels and four, I would choose two every time.

Enough of the typing, and on to the photography. My ride, and the scenery:

First, a pic of the bike that carries me around the Last Frontier:

And a group pic with my two riding partners - I'm on the right:

And finally, an example of the scenery that almost becomes boring in a place where views that make you pull-over around every corner are common. Alaska will spoil you for riding, if the scenery is what you're after.
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

Re: Breaking the ice in Alaska!

#2 Unread post by ofblong »

Very nice pics but if I want to see snow I just have to wait a few more months and winter will be upon me. When I take a vacation its down south not up north...
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

ofblong wrote:Very nice pics but if I want to see snow I just have to wait a few more months and winter will be upon me. When I take a vacation its down south not up north...
You truely don't know what you are missing.

Matt is BACK and he's bulked up since we've last seen him. Welcome home buddy. Enjoy that CX. I still haven't found that 3 weeks that I need to pop by for a beer, but someday....

Toyuzu
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#4 Unread post by Toyuzu »

High_Side wrote:
ofblong wrote:Very nice pics but if I want to see snow I just have to wait a few more months and winter will be upon me. When I take a vacation its down south not up north...

Matt is BACK and he's bulked up since we've last seen him. Welcome home buddy. Enjoy that CX. I still haven't found that 3 weeks that I need to pop by for a beer, but someday....
LOL, thanks brother! I like the "bulked up" comment. I actually have a bit, but most of it is riding gear and my wife's good cooking. :lol: I'll be shedding some of that bulk soon though, training to run a marathon. It's one of those bucket-list things, and I'm not getting any younger... :mrgreen:
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Very cool man! Oh and thanks again for the info on the dealer up there.
And happy Memorial Day! Thank you for your service.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#6 Unread post by High_Side »

Toyuzu wrote:
High_Side wrote:

LOL, thanks brother! I like the "bulked up" comment. I actually have a bit, but most of it is riding gear and my wife's good cooking. :lol: I'll be shedding some of that bulk soon though, training to run a marathon. It's one of those bucket-list things, and I'm not getting any younger... :mrgreen:
And I figured it was due to your efforts in the desert. Let's hear it for wives who feed us well!