EzPass / SmartTag on a bike ??

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

Re: EzPass / SmartTag on a bike ??

#11 Unread post by koji52 »

pchast wrote:I tried it in my breast pocket on the Rip Van Winkle and it never worked. I'm using a windshield now with the tape things and haven't had a problem. It works on the t-way too, so far.
Same issue for me. It doesn't read while in any of my pockets. Best bet is to mount it on the bike somewhere.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#12 Unread post by JC Viper »

Just get a tank bag with a clear pocket and place the EZ-Pass in there and it should work fine. A lot of riders in the shop around here have theirs mounted on the tank, in a tank bag, a custom locking place on the fairing or handlebars/ dashboard area. The fairing mounting was original and creative but he had to drill holes to make a custom bracket to surround the EZ-Pass.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#13 Unread post by RockBottom »

I bought some rare earth magnets from Amazon and fastened them to the velcro adhesive on the transponder, then put some electric tape on the bottom of the magnets. It sticks right on my tank and is very easy to remove. I use it infrequently so didn't want any sort of permanent mount, and didn't want velcro sticking on the bike. (You can see from the photo that I've done the same with my garage door opener, except I superglued the magnet. I've also done the same with my Spot Messenger, using Gorilla Glue to attach rare earth magnets to a RAM bracket made for the Spot).

planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

bandit600
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 10

#14 Unread post by bandit600 »

Ohh I like the idea of the magnetic mount. So the magnets don't affect the EzPass from functioning and you haven't had any problems with it registering at tolls with that orientation ??

How did you "fasten" the magnets to the velcro strips, did you just use the peel and stick adhesive on the velcro strips.

Also nice bike and setup :)
2003 Suzuki SV1000S
1999 600cc Suzuki Bandit - SOLD

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#15 Unread post by RockBottom »

bandit600 wrote:Ohh I like the idea of the magnetic mount. So the magnets don't affect the EzPass from functioning and you haven't had any problems with it registering at tolls with that orientation ??

How did you "fasten" the magnets to the velcro strips, did you just use the peel and stick adhesive on the velcro strips.

Also nice bike and setup :)

I've only tried it once and it read fine on the entry but not on the exit. But I exited at a little out of the way place where it often doesn't read my car one either. That suggests to me that the magnets didn't affect it.

I did just use the adhesive on the velcro strips. Seems to work.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#16 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

mine sits in the bottom of my saddle bag with stuff on top of it. never had a problem, thats is there the guy at the office told me to put it
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#17 Unread post by pchast »

Dumb move today. I left the EZ-Pass on the bile and used the truck........... had to call EZ Pass NY.

So I got a heads up:
Now in N.Y.S. you are required to use a 'Motorcycle' Smart Tag. If you are not and caught she said
its a fine and they take the tag. The Rep I spoke too did not say how much nor when it went
into effect. I know that MC tags were not available when I added my Motorcycle to the truck tag.
No one notified me that I'm aware of..must have slept that day. Don't you love it.
My wife checked her(NJ) account and they also have a MC tag available.

So how many actually have a Motorcycle tag and not a Car one?
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L