State Inspections checkpoints

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

State Inspections checkpoints

#1 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

In New Jersey, we've recently done away with state inspections for motorcycles. That's all fine and dandy.

However, last week, I took a trip into New York and ended up in a mandatory vehicle inspection checkpoint (it was right in the middle of a street in Buffalo...I've never encountered something like it before, but apparently it happens). Now, I still have my inspection sticker on my plate, so there were no problems, but what happens in the future when there are no stickers (I think we're supposed to remove ours and the law took effect August 1st, so in theory there could have been a motorcycle from NJ without a sticker at the checkpoint). The police officer specifically asked for the inspection sticker (he seemed to be looking for it on the windscreen and I had to direct him to the plate). What might have happened if I didn't have a sticker? or if I don't remove mine(those things aren't easy to peel off) and it says that it's overdue(even though there aren't inspections anymore)?
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: State Inspections checkpoints

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Tell the nice officer you're from Jersey. :)
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#3 Unread post by havegunjoe »

The NY cop will probably beat the hell out of you just because he can. Jersey cops return the favor to NY riders I am sure.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#4 Unread post by zeligman »

sorry - I don't understand WHY they would do away with safety inspections. income for the state, safety for us....
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

zeligman wrote:sorry - I don't understand WHY they would do away with safety inspections. income for the state, safety for us....
State budget problems. It wasn't income for the state, it was expense for the state. They did away with mechanical inspections for cars, now have only emissions inspections. Rationale was the low rate of mechanical problems and the idea people will take of mechanical issues like brakes, etc, themselves. Motorcycle inspection was mechanical only, so now that's completely gone.

It was a joke anyway. Basically consisted of an inspector coming out the back door of the station, eyeballing your bike, and saying "yep...... that thar's a motorsickle alright....... passed!"
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#6 Unread post by zeligman »

jstark47 wrote: It was a joke anyway. Basically consisted of an inspector coming out the back door of the station, eyeballing your bike, and saying "yep...... that thar's a motorsickle alright....... passed!"
No Joke here in MA - my bike failed with a loose turn signal wire - which I only caught at inspection.

I still think they're important. Shrug.
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!