Looking for a riding buddy/tutor in Vancouver (2011)

vanbc
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 BMW F650GS

Looking for a riding buddy/tutor in Vancouver (2011)

#1 Unread post by vanbc »

Hi. Got my 6L last weekend and currently shopping for a bike.
As you know, 2 restrictions come off the 6L after doing the MST.
No qualified supervisor needed to ride with me (so I can ride to/from work) and the 60km/h limit is removed.
So... if anyone in Vancouver is qualified as per icbc rules and willing to spend a day with me after I decide on what bike to get please let me know.
I'm willing to pay so include what your comfortable with if that's a factor.
Thanks!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Looking for a riding buddy/tutor in Vancouver (2011)

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Will you pay for me to come from Kansas? :lol:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

swisscosmo
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by swisscosmo »

Where did you get your lessons done as I'm only 16 and planning on doing the lessons and getting a license this summer so I'm asking around on what people suggest for Lessons.

I also will be looking for someone to ride with as a Tutor so I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread:)

vanbc
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by vanbc »

Sadly nobody has replied. Other than some post from Kansas. I'll just have to wing it. They say if you take a course you are pretty much guaranteed your class6. I was going to go to the one in North Van but decided not to. Still no bike. When I find / buy the bike I will ask for a short lesson from the store/owner. One lady was selling a suzuki and she was willing to spend an hour in the parking lot with her buddy but I never bought the bike. Shifted my purchase to a bmw. Good luck.
Last edited by vanbc on Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

vanbc wrote:Sadly nobody has replied. Other than some troll in Kansas. I'll just have to wing it. They say if you take a course you are pretty much guaranteed your class6. I was going to go to the one in North Van but decided not to. Still no bike. When I find / buy the bike I will ask for a short lesson from the store/owner. One lady was selling a suzuki and she was willing to spend an hour in the parking lot with her buddy but I never bought the bike. Shifted my purchase to a bmw. Good luck.

I live in South Delta and offer my services. Payment would be cookies and coffee will be just fine. Just kidding, drop me a note, I am always looking for new riding buddies.
Always ask why.

vanbc
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by vanbc »

Will give you a shout when I finally get the bike. :ninja:
If nothing turns up soon I swear I'll just go grab the first old 250 I see posted on craigslist. (sigh)

Locky
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1999 B1200 Suzuki Streetfighter

#7 Unread post by Locky »

Join and put a post on bcsportbikes.com.I'm sure you get enough offers to keep you more than happy.Don't let the sportbike name bother you either there's lots of guys on bcsp into all different kinds of bikes.Besides you'll be dealing with a forum with hundreds of members in your area...........best of luck .......
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave,keep on thinking free.

vanbc
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by vanbc »

I'll check out the website and thank you. As far as a course, I just finished the one at jibc.ca in New Westminster. I'm a seasoned car driver and this is an excellent group of instructors. Doing my final group ride tomorrow. Still no bike but at least I can ride one home now that I have the two restrictions lifted off my learners. Jibc will rent me one if I want to go for the road test before I buy my own. Check em out.

Locky
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1999 B1200 Suzuki Streetfighter

#9 Unread post by Locky »

If or when you get yourself a bike there is a huge industrial park at the foot of Boundary on the river,it's the size of the west end and in fact goes all the way to New West.Lots of corners and huge parking lots so it's a great place to hone your skills and it has parks and is landscaped like nothing else in greater Van.It is pretty quiet in the early evening and weekends so you can practice things like panic stops and avoidance.I moved back here from the Island and was surprised how bad the traffic has gotten so I used to head to this Ind.Prk. and have some fun and sharpen my skills and it's saved my butt at least once when I had a truck turn left in front of me on Cambie.Good place to learn for a car lic. also,I taught my daughter to drive there and she passed first try.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave,keep on thinking free.

vanbc
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by vanbc »

Awesome. Thanks for the tip.