spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Helmet too tight?

#1 Unread post by spydercanopus »

I just bought a new Icon full-face helmet and I'm afraid it could be too tight. The dealer said it would stretch out after some use and said it was better to be too snug than not snug enough.

I have noticed the helmet I bought 8 years ago has become too loose, as it pushed forward on me at high speed. But this new helmet practically smushes my cheeks into my bite. I can barely squeeze nicorete gum between my gums and lip, but it definitely feels safer and doesn't move at all going 80+mph.

What is your experience with newer helmets these days? Do Icon brand helmets really mold to your head over time or is it going to stay too tight?

Peace

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

Re: Helmet too tight?

#2 Unread post by Thumper »

You want it really snug, but if it causes pain--you get a headache after wearing it for 10-15 minutes--then it's too tight or not shaped correctly for your head. The pads will squish down a little over time, true, but not *that* much. Sit around with it on your head for half an hour. If you're not in pain, it probably fits and you just have to get used to a more snug fit after being used to a worn out helmet. If you get hit spots, like a patch on your forehead that hurts where everything else doesn't or a spot on each side of your head--then it's like the wrong shape for your head.

You don't want the helmet to move on your head, but you also don't want it to hurt...

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

#3 Unread post by spydercanopus »

I rode in it for about 20-30 minutes and while it didn't give me a headache, I did feel a little woozy. No specific pressure points like some other helmets I tried on at the store, so I know what you're referring to.

gpx750guy
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki GPX 750 R

#4 Unread post by gpx750guy »

It sounds like it's a bit too tight - have you tried other sizes of the same model to see what the fit is like?

Peterson
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: 2019/2000/honda

#5 Unread post by Peterson »

I ride in it for about 20-30 minutes and while it didn't give me comfortable, I did feel a little week. No specific pressure points like some othersI tried on at the store, so I know what ppl are referring to.
I have noticed the helmet I bought 8 years ago has become too loose, as it pushed forward on me at high speed.
But this new helmet practically smushes my cheeks into my bite. I can barely squeeze gum between my gums and lip, but it definitely feels safer and doesn't move at all going 80+mph.

foofoo
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by foofoo »

spydercanopus wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:48 am I just bought a new Icon full-face helmet and I'm afraid it could be too tight. The dealer said it would stretch out after some use and said it was better to be too snug than not snug enough.

I have noticed the helmet I bought 8 years ago has become too loose, as it pushed forward on me at high speed. But this new helmet practically smushes my cheeks into my bite. I can barely squeeze nicorete gum between my gums and lip but it definitely feels safer and doesn't move at all going 80+mph.

What is your experience with newer helmets these days? Do Icon brand helmets really mold to your head over time or is it going to stay too tight?

Peace
It is looking a bit too tight mate.

CharlesRodney
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1999/hero/splender

#7 Unread post by CharlesRodney »

I faced similar kind of issue last time, I am still searching for some proper solution. Same issue still no fix to this.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

CharlesRodney wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:52 pm I faced similar kind of issue last time, I am still searching for some proper solution. Same issue still no fix to this.
Your helmet should fit firm, but zero hot spots. You have to try on a lot of helmets to find the best fit. Where is your helmet not fitting?

sugokrang
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2019 / Honda / XRE 190 ABS

#9 Unread post by sugokrang »

I think you should be able to talk or move a little bit your mouth. If you can't do that then it is pretty tight.

And, as others say, if you feel pain after a while then you must change it, if you don't feel pain then the foam should loose a little bit and you will feel it better over time.