madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

2011 Ride to the Mountains~~~Crash~~~

#1 Unread post by madjak30 »

I decided at the start of the summer that I would be taking a ride through the Rocky Mountains in the late summer or early fall this year...so I planned the route and picked a date for the ride...September 10th, 2011 to September 12th, 2011...sounded like a great weekend to do it...kids are back in school (so less travelers on the road)...I even found a couple of like minded friends that wanted to come along...

The date finally came, and we were all as excited as the kids when summer break starts tomorrow...we all met up in Sylvan Lake and had breakfast at the Humpty's Restaurant...then we were off...

This is a pic of us stopped in Canmore, AB trying to find some ice cream (it was 28C outside)

Stopped and took some nice pictures while mounting our POV cameras...

This pic is where we stopped to stretch before reaching Cranbrook, BC...

The next day, someone broke their key in their saddle lock...

we got the piece out, but trying to find someone to cut a motorcycle key on a Sunday was a pain...so we improvised and found that an older Ford trunk key (if sanded or filed to be thinner) will work in an '87 Honda Hurricane ignition... :woohoo: ...we were off...at 2pm

We made it to Creston and turned up Hwy 3a...heading for the ferry across the Kootenay Lake...what a beautiful, twisty road!! We were in heaven...turn after turn, carving our way toward the ferry launch...the closer we got, the twistier the road got...it was AWESOME...until the third to last turn when I entered the turn on the left side of the lane on a left turn...the turn was a decreasing radius turn so I ended up having to lean the bike WAY OVER...I ground the peg and my boot, which startled me...so I wiggled and went a little wide, right out to the white line...and that's when I saw the gravel...next thing I know I'm sliding through the gravel and I am no longer on my bike...

These pictures still make me ill to know what I did to my baby...

The major damage was to the left fork...bent...the shift lever is broken, the air filter cover is dented and scratched and the heat cover on the left exhaust is crushed...I don't know about the rim and tire...the impact popped the bead off, but I couldn't see any physical damage to the rubber...

I ended up getting it towed to a storage place in Nelson, BC...the guy there was excellent to deal with...he rides as well and felt bad for me, so he is holding it until this weekend for free so that I can go pick it up without missing work...I did have to pay $245 for coming to tow it...but it was Sunday night at 8:45pm...so there was a call out fee and mileage plus HST...

What about me, you ask? Well thanks for being concerned...but the speed limit on the road was 60kph, so I was travelling at 70kph...the turn had a "SLOW" sign, but no speed (usually the tighter turns said slow to 40kph...or something along that line)...so we slowed to 60kph ish...then as the corner presented itself I hit the brakes some more just as I entered the corner, so probably going around 40-50kph...thankfully I was wearing my gloves, jacket, helmet, hiking boots and jeans (I know, I should have riding boots and riding pants...)

I came out with some minor scrapes where my jacket rode up my arm a bit and the glove didn't cover...and my left ankle took a beating when the bike fell over...so I came away with a scrape that wouldn't impress anyone and a limp...

I also found out that riding pillion on a Honda VFR800 Interceptor isn't my prefered mode of transport, especially for a 800kms run...

But I made it home and I'm relatively unharmed...and I know what my winter project is... :disgust:

What I did get to ride was pretty awesome, so I will try that trip again...just with more caution this time...

Later.
Last edited by madjak30 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: 2011 Ride to the Mountains...

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Sorry to hear/see that bud... But glad you're relatively ok! Since your left fork is bent, you ought to look into upgrades for your suspension! Use this as an opportunity right?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Ouch! That sucks but at least you are relatively unscathed. I agree that this is an opportunity to do some upgrades, but did you check to make sure that the frame wasn't tweaked?

JustMark
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: '06 Honda Nighthawk cb250

#4 Unread post by JustMark »

Amazing pics!!! Sorry to hear about your spill, but glad your gonna be ok.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

Bugger.
Always ask why.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by madjak30 »

Here's a link to the video from my buddies bike...he had his GoPro running when it happened...

Later.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: 2011 Ride to the Mountains~~~Crash~~~

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

Hard to tell, but it looks like you drove right off the road.
Always ask why.

agraebner
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by agraebner »

In slow motion you look pretty upright till you were off the road and the dust started. Goes along with what cemees said. Watch your video really carefully in slow motion looking for the little details of what happened and your reaction. Compare that with what you remember and see if you remember everything exactly as you see it. I have had the opportunity to watch my crashes in motocross races a few times. I found out some things weren't exactly as they seemed. It was a eye opening to run the mental replay with video. Unfortunately your video is not quite as clear and the perspective is not as good as the ones I had. I'm glad your OK. This is the ultimate learning experience for sure. I learned a long time ago, with out the spill, about roads having sand or gravel on them. It seems a lot of my rides are on roads that are covered in these things right after rain. Having a few close encounters with such things I don't ride near the edge of the road unless I can see its clear well in front of me and I ride within my ability to act if i should encounter such things. If its not gravel or sand these roads are great places for animals running out in front of you with no warning, they just pop over the line to say hi to you... Bottom line is no matter what bike you ride or what skill level you may have, when the inertia of you and your bike exceeds the amount of friction between your tires and the road gravity wins. I have been lucky and every time I start feeling too self confident I see someone else make a boo boo or be taken by surprise and It reminds me of the above and I start being more cautious again. Once again I'm glad your OK and thanks for reminding us we are not on a closed course and to expect this sort of hazard.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

ceemes wrote:Hard to tell, but it looks like you drove right off the road.
I've watched it a few times...and I know what you mean...but I think if you watch closely, I am leaned over pretty hard mid corner then I pop up to what looks straight (but is still turning, just not enough...the rider behind me told me that I was still turning when I hit the gravel...I just remember seeing the gravel and driving onto it)...at that point I am target fixated on the gravel...drive straight into it...I do think I ride over the embankment a bit, but I fall off and tumble over it...

Anyway, there is a blank from where I start to slide in the gravel until I am sliding on my hands and feet in the gravel.

Like I stated, the accident is rider error...mostly due to inexperience and riding beyond my ability :oops: ...the joy of turning and adrenaline got the best of me and I paid the price...

I feel bad for ruining the ride for the other two guys I was with, and one of them having to "double" me all the way home...that and scaring the crap out of my wife when I called to tell her that I had crashed...I deserved to crash, I'm just thankful that I didn't really get hurt...

No darwin award this time...and I'm hoping for no next time...

Later.

agraebner
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by agraebner »

Very positive perspective. I still fight with getting fixated on surprises such as gravel or sand. The scariest things Ive had recently was coming around a corner in the mountains in Amish country with very rough roads already. I was only doing about 40mph but that was more than I should have been. I was at nearly full lean on the FZR and just then noticed that ahead in the road were a bunch or golf ball and large sized hunks of rock that slid into the road. I got really lucky and only hit one but I had loosened up enough the bike was able to correct itself and absorb the mess OK. As far as your buddies go I am sure they are just glad your OK. And no do not look at it as you deserved to crash you were not riding crazy or really speeding. But you now have some priceless knowledge and experience that will make you a safer rider. You through your honesty about the whole matter will make others safer too. This is being responsible. Too many people would have just blamed the road, the tires, the people they were with, the bikes ect.... It has been a long road to get my nephew to look at things this was he had many wrecks on dirt before he finally learned it was his actions that caused his bumps. Now I am glad to say he is respectful of riding and not scared as hes started riding on the road.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500