High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: 2011 Ride to the Mountains~~~Crash~~~

#11 Unread post by High_Side »

agraebner wrote:Very positive perspective. You through your honesty about the whole matter will make others safer too. This is being responsible. Too many people would have just blamed the road, the tires, the people they were with, the bikes ect....
Great post and I agree completely. Up until the point of the crash you had been riding well considering that you say that you are relatively inexperienced, and it looks like you were just caught out by a momentary lapse in concentration. It is an easy thing to do and with your attitude you are less likely to have it happen again.

Again - after watching that I am glad that you are OK.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#12 Unread post by madjak30 »

Thanks for the positive feedback...I think the crash was caused by a few little things that had it only been one issue at a time, I could have handled the situation...

1. Entered the turn wrong...should have been on the outside of my lane, not the inside to start a corner...

2. Miss judged the corner and was going too fast...should have slowed to 40kph or 45kph...

3. Over reacted when I ground the peg...should have just ground it into the pavement...experience showed here...

4. Panic'd when I saw the gravel...look where you want to go, not at the danger...again with the experience thing...

I believe that I would have made the corner if one or two of those items were corrected...but small string of events caused an "OH CR@P!!" moment...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hey dude, so sorry to hear about this... Man you are super mature to be taking it this way, good on you! Mike & I are heartbroken for your MT-01 (but only of course because you are okay). Get better soon and don't be afraid to get back on the horse and ride it... when you're ready... just don't wait too long!

:getwellsoon:
Andrea :sun:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I like how you identified it was multiple factors that went wrong. While they all played a part, the video makes it pretty clear to me that the peg scrape scaring you was the deciding factor. Once you stood it up, it was over. It's actually a very common reaction and I see it a bit with new riders on the track.

Now the silver lining is that a crashed bike, even a slightly crashed bike- is a great opportunity for a project. Build it back the way you want to. Google "thin strom" for some inspiration.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Woah!

Man, I am so sorry to hear you had a crash with your MT-01, but I'm very relieved to hear you are ok!

I've watched your video and it looks (and from what you said) you did the same kind of thing I did with my crash back in Sept 2000. I came out very lucky (like you) with just a sprained wrist and a damaged ego. I knew I had to get back on a motorcycle ASAP so I bought another bike right away (my bike was unfortunately totalled), so the best piece of advice would be to get back riding ASAP and learn from your mistakes. After my crash it changed the way I rode and how I took corners.

You definitely have the riding skills and seem to have been caught off guard (happens to us all). Will you be fixing up the MT-01 then and riding it again? If so, I'm sure your basket of riding skills just got bigger from this experience.

It's good you have a video of your crash; I wish I did, but I am sure I did the same thing. Basically, I went into the corner too hot and not paying enough attention, panicked, locked up my breaks, the bike stood up from a lean and off I went.

Keep us updated on you and your bikes progress...

Again, happy to hear you are doing ok and sorry to hear about the bike.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

storysunfolding wrote:Now the silver lining is that a crashed bike, even a slightly crashed bike- is a great opportunity for a project. Build it back the way you want to. Google "thin strom" for some inspiration.
I had to Google that myself, here you go for the link:

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=10560.0

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#17 Unread post by madjak30 »

Until I see the bike, I don't really know what I have to do to get it on the road again...but I am thinking of just going aftermarket and getting all the bits that broke replaced...
storysunfolding wrote:I like how you identified it was multiple factors that went wrong. While they all played a part, the video makes it pretty clear to me that the peg scrape scaring you was the deciding factor. Once you stood it up, it was over. It's actually a very common reaction and I see it a bit with new riders on the track.

Now the silver lining is that a crashed bike, even a slightly crashed bike- is a great opportunity for a project. Build it back the way you want to. Google "thin strom" for some inspiration.
Thanks...but I really think my undoing was my absolute fear of turning when there is gravel on the road...I just froze...even though I was still leaned over, I couldn't snap myself out of the trance and lean the bike further...here's another pic I took...

You can see how little shoulder there is and also the slide marks from both tires...

And yes, now is the opportune time to make some "upgrades" to the bike...I'm working on a way to mount saddle bags & add a fuel cell to extend the range...rear sets & a drag type bar instead of the stock handle bars...maybe some shorty levers...and new paint...we'll see where it all ends up...
sunshine229 wrote:Hey dude, so sorry to hear about this... Man you are super mature to be taking it this way, good on you! Mike & I are heartbroken for your MT-01 (but only of course because you are okay). Get better soon and don't be afraid to get back on the horse and ride it... when you're ready... just don't wait too long!

:getwellsoon:
Thanks for the concern, but I don't have fear of getting back on the bike...it has actually made me want to go to some track days to improve my cornering technique...I am too close to the mountains to not know how to ride the beautiful roads that they provide just a few short hours away... :evil3:

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Tsp
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1996 Suzuki Intruder VS 800 GLT

#18 Unread post by Tsp »

You didn't deserve that, your statement, the crash, to think of it as that also says that the other 2 riders deserved it. Glad you r alive, you have kids, a wife, job, biker friends. It's not worse ! What I know, and is with others, is that I will make mistakes. I feel for you all. Your trip plans were by no means a mistake, I believe.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

If you have had a crash, what month did you crash in Poll started: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=43551

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#20 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Well, at least you chose some nice roads to crash on. Ive always enjoyed the roads around Nelson, just as much as the west coast along the pacific ocean, through Oregon and Cali.

Didnt watch the video, but judging by your comments, you understand your responsibility in the crash, which a lot of people dont. So that's always good news. It sounds like a typical crash scenario for newbies, so it's good that you rode off without worse results. You might wanna consider spending some time riding by yourself to avoid distractions of riding with other riders.

Not sure what suspension adjustments the MT01 offers, but most current bikes from almost any manufacturer have just what you need on the mechanical side: A FEW MORE CLICKS of SPRING PRELOAD ON THE REAR suspension will get you sufficiently more more ground clearance, before you need to be concerned about a little scraping. Riding smoother works wonders too, or as you have discovered, taking the right line through the corner rather than compromising it with the wrong corner entry. Check your owners manual for the spring preload info.

You're better of learning to work with what you have rather than upgrade stuff at this stage. Believe me, I have raced with stock components and you can go plenty fast by learning what you have to work with, rather than believing you over-rode the bike.

Other than that the best thing is just more seat time. So just put gas in the bike and go riding, once you repair all the broken bits. In the winter you could always read a good book like Twist of the Wrist or The Soft Science of Motorcycle Road racing, or sign up for an advanced rider course at Stratotech Park or Race City Motorsport Park (if RaceCity is still open next year).
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)