Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Crashing in Arkansas

#1 Unread post by Johnj »

First, I'm ok. The bike (the 99 Concours) is somewhat worse off. I saw a bear cub of the left side of the road so I looked around for the cub's mama. By the time I looked back it was too late. To fast to make the curve I clamped down on the front brake hard, so I lost a lot of speed, but went down as soon as I left the pavement. I rolled to a stop, but the bike slid into the trees. Scott came riding up and told me to stay down so I did. I took stock of myself and sat up. I started to take the helmet off, but my right shoulder was protesting...I took my glasses off, undid the strap with my left hand and slid the helmet off. I put my glasses back on my face then started checking my legs, there is a minor pain coming from the right knee but nothing serious. Scott wants to know if I'm going to need EMT's and I tell him no. Scott tried to get the bike out of the trees, but needed a hand and I couldn't help. So we called the shop in Mena where I bought a tee shirt for the grand-daughter (named Mena) earlier, and they came out and picked up my bike and myself and took us back to town. I went to the hospital then and got checked out. The guys at Hog Country Cycles then found a guy to haul me and the bike home. So the damage is a separated shoulder for me and all new plastic for the 99 Connie.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: Crashing in Arkansas

#2 Unread post by madjak30 »

Ouch...the shoulder may take a bit of time to heal...and the plastics for the Connie will be a few pennies, I would imagine...but nothing else hurt...you or the bike?

This has been a rough week...I think that's three I have read about...plus a couple not on the net that I know of through family or friends that are directly invovled...mid September must be a bad time to be riding...

Hope you heal fast and your insurance covers the bike...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hey John, Man that sucks! I am so glad you are mostly okay but so sorry to hear about your shoulder. I wish you a speedy recovery and all that! Take good care of yourself.

:getwellsoon:
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Dang, another crash I am reading about this week! September isn't a good month it seems for riding, I also had my crash in mid-September! (it would be an interesting poll to create: What month did you have an accident in)

Sorry to hear about your crash John and about your shoulder... Road distractions can be a killer. I guess the positive part is it could have been much worse (thank god you didn't hit the trees like the bike did!). Thankfully it is near the end of the riding season so you may not miss much! Do you have any photos of your bike you can post?

I hope there are no more crashes this year for anyone else.

Take care of that shoulder and the Connie.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Insurance...did someone mention insurance? Well the bike shop showed up before any LEO's did so there is no Accident Report. We didn't call any EMT's to the sceen either. There is no record of me crashing in Oklahoma. I got hurt playing futbal with my buddies
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#6 Unread post by High_Side »

Damn - everyone is dropping like flies this week. Hope the shoulder is OK. I've never seen a street-fightered Connie so maybe yours will be the first!

Get well soon.

Bruce

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Glad you're relatively ok. Sorry to hear you're hurting though.
I also crashed in September, September 13th 2009, was a Sunday. Not that I have that memorized or anything.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:I also crashed in September, September 13th 2009, was a Sunday. Not that I have that memorized or anything.
Well, I think that does it, I'll create a poll of "If you have had a crash, what month did you crash in" ... I'm guessing that September might be the worst month....

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

If you have had a crash, what month did you crash in Poll started: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=43551

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

Sorry to hear about your crash John. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS