Larry Culling
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Red 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

1st 2012 season ride.

#1 Unread post by Larry Culling »

It was a short ride but a ride. I took my bike in for service on Feb 3/12. It felt good to get back on the bike and ride.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Re: 1st 2012 season ride.

#2 Unread post by mogster »

Good for you. :D
I too was going to put my bike back on the road this month but have now delayed till next month. Whilsy we have had incredibly mild weather a few days of frost caused the concil to throw loads of salt down. Now we have filthy salty roads with no frost & I am going to wait until they are less mucky.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

I am kicking myself, was suppose to be a wicked winter and when the bikes insurance expired, the first of the frost and black ice hit, so I figured, park it and take the Pathfinder to work. Now almost three months later, the Daffodils are starting to shoot up, the odd leaf is start to appear on the trees and the temps have been above 10C by the afternoon and I see bikes everywhere.....but still.....at 4:30AM, it is still chilly, ice on the windscreen of the truck and the roads don't look to inviting.....but still......
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

Compared to Snowpacalypse 2011, we're having an extraordinarily mild winter. No complaints, last winter was enough for several years. My first 2012 ride was New Years Day, and have had bikes out at least once a week since. I'm getting ready to leave work now (6:20 pm here) and ride my motorcycle 31 miles home! :mrgreen:

ceemes wrote:at 4:30AM, it is still chilly, ice on the windscreen of the truck and the roads don't look to inviting.....but still......
Don't do it. Black ice is the devil, and Connie's have lots of plastic to break. My rule is temps have to be above freezing overnight at my destination (30 miles north and higher altitude than home) for me to ride.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#5 Unread post by dirt dobber »

larry, your honda shadow looks like mine except for the turn signals. i'm able to ride often,have to to keep in practice.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

jstark47 wrote: Don't do it. Black ice is the devil, and Connie's have lots of plastic to break. My rule is temps have to be above freezing overnight at my destination (30 miles north and higher altitude than home) for me to ride.
Don't I know it. One of the last commutes to work three months ago was interesting to say the least. Was coming up to the intersection of Highway 10 and 17 when the light turned amber, so applied just a wee bit of rear brake to slow me down a bit before going through the down gearing and my bloody rear wheel locked up causing Connie to swing her a$$ out a bit, off the brake, pulled in the clutch as the engine stalled, hit the horn as I sailed through the intersection against a red....black ice.....luckily it as around 4:15 in the AM so traffic was really light....but scared me silly.....so think I will wait until the end of the month before I start commuting again, but she will be insured this weekend so I can at least play a bit.
Always ask why.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#7 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Gald someone is riding I took my slipper clutch actuator out who knew it was gonna be this mild?
But GOOD ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'll get there eventually :D
there aint nothin like it

Larry Culling
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Red 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

#8 Unread post by Larry Culling »

dirt dobber wrote:larry, your honda shadow looks like mine except for the turn signals. i'm able to ride often,have to to keep in practice.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

Fired up the Connie at 4:20 this morning rode to work. Temps were warm, roads bone dry and traffic very light. Was able to hammer it hard and made from home to the office in under 25 minutes. Wore only my riding leathers, helmet, gloves, boots and office clothes underneigh and was not even the slightest bit chilled. Three hours later, I look out the window and its bloody snowing, really coming down and sticking.......but 2PM, the stuff melted away, temps back up to where they should be, roads dry, cloudy but the sun trying to peek out, traffic sucked but not a bad ride home....but WT Flying F is going on with the weather.....snow in Vancouver and temps above 20C in Ontario and Manitobia.......weird.....
Always ask why.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

Amazingly I have gotten a lot of riding in for the season here in Calgary. Absolutely amazing weather and clear roads have made this the best winter for riding that we have ever had. Keep venting the CO2 my friends :mrgreen: