British Columbia Chat

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#181 Unread post by blues2cruise »

hiya old-n-slow.
If you were ever interested in riding the Duffy Lake road, you could get there without having to come into Vancouver.

You could ride to Nanaimo and get the ferry to Horseshoe Bay. You are right beside the Squamish highway there and you could ride to Pemberton and to Duffy Lake and Lillooet from there.

Then you could come back down the canyon and you could get to the ferries via highway 10. You wouldn't have to go into Vancouver at all. :mrgreen:

Or you could do the reverse. Start with the canyon and finish at Horseshoe bay.

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#182 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Thanks Blues2C--

Would that be do-able as a day trip or would a person want to consider overnighting somewhere? It certainly sounds like a good ride. Love that Frazer canyon at any rate. I guess the Duffy lake road is likely equivalent????

I think I have a riding buddy that might just be interested.

Have a good 'un
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#183 Unread post by dr_bar »

Oh it's do-able in a day, but that's pushing it... I would over night in Lillooet and come down the canyon in the morning... Don't miss the great stretch from Lillooet to Lytton, and a side trip to Cache Creek and back through Marble Canyon Prov. Park, is also a great idea...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#184 Unread post by old-n-slow »

dr_bar wrote:Oh it's do-able in a day, but that's pushing it... I would over night in Lillooet and come down the canyon in the morning... Don't miss the great stretch from Lillooet to Lytton, and a side trip to Cache Creek and back through Marble Canyon Prov. Park, is also a great idea...
So coming over from the island would definately make it unlikely to do in a day then I guess, especailly if a guy wanted to add the side trips. So it should make a great weekend run I'm thinking. Thanks.
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#185 Unread post by dr_bar »

Seeing as how the trip along the Duffy Lake road is different depending on which way you go, you could forego the Fraser Canyon if you wanted to and do a return along the Duffy Lake road. You could then do, Lillooet - Cache Creek - Lytton - Lillooet as a loop for the side trip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#186 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it and see if I can generate any interest locally. I kinda dislike to do it by myself but I know a couple that might be more then a little interested.

blues2cruise

#187 Unread post by blues2cruise »

If you go, have a few scenic view stops along the way. And you might want to wait until it's not so flippin' hot. It will be even hotter there than here.

Dr_bar and I talked about going but taking our time so we can stop and do a little photography along the way.
That can't be done when you're in an organized (and I use the term loosely) group.

blues2cruise

#188 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Well, old-n-slow....soon I will be almost ready to give up on club rides.

You should have heard dr_bar after my last adventure. He sounded like a husband....grounds for divorce.... :wink: :laughing:
How many more of these rides are you going to go on? Translate that into you are such a slow learner. Those group rides never turn out. People always screw you around. Why do persist in attending? bl;ahblah blah...... :laughing:

It's partly true. For some reason I figured that club riding would be better. After all, the rules clearly state all the safety crap, etc., However, I guess they are just guidelines to be "translated" to suit the current leader/organizer.

Maybe we need an offshoot ....like a SCRC lite. :laughing:

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#189 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Hmm. Blues. I have to sort of agree with Dr_bar. And I understand where you're coming from with group riding.

I have to confess I'm not so enamored with riding with the local group here either. I have been distancing myself from them more and more as time passes. I find I don't have a lot in common with the majority of the members. Most seem to be heavy smokers and generally use the riding group more as a social club then a riding club. That's cool. But it doesn't work for me. I don't need it for socializing and I don't party so it's a fact I'm no fun at those type of functions and I find I have no patience waiting through a 2 hour lunch while having to choke on cigarette or cigar smoke while some of them suck back three or four beers.. Hell if I wanted that I'd volunteer as a fire fighter specializing in fighting forest fires.

I started with them because I wasn't riding all that much on my own other then for local trips that didn't require large load carrying capacity. As it is I made more miles this summer with Ken, Doug and Don and of the three of them only Don is a member of any riding group (same one as me) and I notice he doesn't make all that many rides anymore either.

Perhaps in a year or two I might have relinquished my part time job (or gotten fired) which could give me the opportunity to get away for the occasional weekend or so to do rides such as the Duffy Lake road etc. Who knows, we don't live all that far away and it's even possible that we might cross trails some time or other or share a road for a few kilometers.

blues2cruise

#190 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I've been having a good time riding with just 2 or three others. The smaller groups have been a better experience. The best ones have been when I have been road captain..... :laughing: