2011 Ducati Diavel - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

YOUR COOLNESS FACTOR OF THE 2011 Ducati Diavel IS...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 Ducati Diavel - VOTED: Discussion In Progress

#21 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:Some of the craziest fun that I have ever had on a motorcycle was a V-Rod Muscle. The Diavel looks like a similar concept (except not nearly as good looking), but with a lot more power, and a lot less weight. It should be great fun.
Your Super Duke 990 is quite the blast to ride, I'm surprised you liked the V-Rod over that, but hey, maybe you are (as you like to say to me) "Coming over to the dark side"...haha

Yes, I do agree the Diavel concept of less weight more power isn't a bad one... Although we did see it before with these models:

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 R

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... L1000R.htm

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 S

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... L1000S.htm

And we know the rep those bikes got....

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#22 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
High_Side wrote:Some of the craziest fun that I have ever had on a motorcycle was a V-Rod Muscle. The Diavel looks like a similar concept (except not nearly as good looking), but with a lot more power, and a lot less weight. It should be great fun.
Your Super Duke 990 is quite the blast to ride, I'm surprised you liked the V-Rod over that, but hey, maybe you are (as you like to say to me) "Coming over to the dark side"...haha

Yes, I do agree the Diavel concept of less weight more power isn't a bad one... Although we did see it before with these models:

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 R

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 S

Mike
Now I didn't say that I would give up the Duke for the V-Rod, as they are both crazy fun but in a much different way.......

As for the Suzuki TL series, they were both great motorcycles, but there were some members of the British press that needed a story (More Crap Now) and they sensationalized something that really wasn't there. It's odd how there were no "cases" of the demon TL-S being the cause of any crashes outside of the UK so I seriously doubt that there was anything to it. I also had a chance to wring one out myself when they were first released and somehow lived to tell the tale of what a fun bike it was...

And if there really was an issue with the TL (there wasn't) and it was strictly down to power to weight ratio, there have been many bikes since the TL that far exceeded their power to weight ratio without issue.
The Diavel might even be able to out accelerate the the 1198 which it gets it engine from due to the longer and lower stature of it's frame (even though it is much heavier and missing 8 hp). This should be interesting....

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote: The Diavel might even be able to out accelerate the the 1198 which it gets it engine from due to the longer and lower stature of it's frame (even though it is much heavier and missing 8 hp). This should be interesting....
That would be interesting... The Diavel might even be a decent drag strip bike as well...

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#24 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote: Yes, I do agree the Diavel concept of less weight more power isn't a bad one... Although we did see it before with these models:

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 R

2001 Suzuki TL 1000 S

Mike, Highside was saying that the Diavel has more power and lot less weight than the V-Rod Muscle, which doesn't actually make it slender by any stretch of the imagination. :mrgreen: I'm also confused by your comparison to the TL? :?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#25 Unread post by HYPERR »

I hope the imminent epic failure of the Diavel is not going to drain Ducati financially... :(
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:Mike, Highside was saying that the Diavel has more power and lot less weight than the V-Rod Muscle, which doesn't actually make it slender by any stretch of the imagination. :mrgreen: I'm also confused by your comparison to the TL? :?
I was comparing the Diavel to the TL, how in it's day the TL was quite the power bike with loads of torque.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

HYPERR wrote:I hope the imminent epic failure of the Diavel is not going to drain Ducati financially... :(
BMW had it's failure with the Montauk, it's Cruiser. BMW at the time wanted to try something new, sure it didn't work out for them, but it did inspire BMW to make some new engine designs and new models after that.
Whether cutting through mountain gaps or rolling along open plains, the new
BMW Montauk was built for long rides through big sky country. Packed full of torque
(72 lb/ft), its got ample energy to ascend winding mountain roads and an updated
5-speed gearbox to keep the miles rolling by smoothly.

The new Montauk also features BMW’s two spark ignition system, an advancement that improves exhaust emissions, fuel consumption and response, setting a new benchmark for cruiser performance.

Stylistically, the Montauk retains the clean, elegant lines of the classic
R 1200 C but with a few extras to give it a presence all its own. Complementing the purity of the open design, the Montauk features a subtle windshield, extending riding comfort on long stretches of road.

Like its touring cousin the R 1200 CL, the Montauk takes a broader stance with a widened BMW Telelever suspension up front and vertically arranged dual headlights. The new Montauk looks equally imposing from the side. A higher, narrower passenger seat and redesigned side cover give the Montauk a powerful profile.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#28 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
HYPERR wrote:I hope the imminent epic failure of the Diavel is not going to drain Ducati financially... :(
BMW had it's failure with the Montauk, it's Cruiser. BMW at the time wanted to try something new, sure it didn't work out for them, but it did inspire BMW to make some new engine designs and new models after that.
BMW is large enough that they can afford "mistakes" like the R1200C, Ducati is not. The early flop of the 999 almost made Ducati go belly up. It was the Monster that kept them on life support. I loved the 999 from the moment I saw it live for the first time, however...
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#29 Unread post by Gummiente »

totalmotorcycle wrote:BMW had it's failure with the Montauk, it's Cruiser.
Ick. Icky-icky-ickyickick. GAWD, but that bike was ugly. The handlebars looked like tiller bars borrowed from a Roto-Rooter. I think pretty much every manufacturer has its share of ugly inbreds in their history, but the Suzuki Madura, BMW Montauk, Victory Vision and Amazonas are at the top of my list for pure butt-ugliness.

But I don't see the Diavel as being capable of knocking Ducati down for the count. At least not because of its looks, anyway. The whole streetfighter/technobike style seems to be all the rage these days and I think the younger generations are the ones responsible for this genre. Old farts like me can appreciate bikes like these for what they are, but it's highly unlikely one would ever find its way into my garage as I prefer the more traditional style and features of machines from the era I grew up in. Bikes like the Diavel and V-Rod Muscle and such are aimed at the young pups with their endless quantities of testosterone.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#30 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote:Bikes like the Diavel and V-Rod Muscle and such are aimed at the young pups with their endless quantities of testosterone.
I think the opposite. I think the Diavel and the V-Rod Muscle are targeted for the old pups with the diminishing testosterone. They are targeted towards the midlife crisis group. I can't see any young kid wanting one of these...besides, I don't know too many young kids who have $20K US to drop on a bike.
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS