2010 Zero S (Electric) - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2010 Zero S (Electric) is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2010 Zero S (Electric) - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2010 Zero S (Electric)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... -ZeroS.htm

Imagine instant torque and power from a standstill. Imagine smooth acceleration as you race out of turns. Then, imagine never needing to stop at the gas station.

Developed to aggressively take on urban environments and encourage the occasional detour, the Zero S integrates revolutionary technology with innovative motorcycle design. Using Zero Motorcycles’ proprietary Z-Force power pack and aircraft grade alloy frame, the Zero S features an industry leading power-to-weight ratio that increases its range and maneuverability.

Instant acceleration and a lightweight design enable the Zero S to take on any city street, hill or obstacle. Whether accelerating onto the highway or out of the turns, the Zero S is designed for performance.

Features/Benefits

Frame / Bodywork
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the lightweight and rigid Zero S twin spar frame. One look at the frame and it speaks for itself. It is aggressive, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero S can take on anything in an urban environment. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero S is highly maneuverable and responsive. The body is completed using custom injected molded plastics to give it aerodynamics and aggressive supermoto styling.
•Frame and bodywork designed from the ground up by Zero Motorcycles
•Extremely rigid and lightweight twin spar aircraft grade aluminum frame
•Custom injected molded plastics with new color graphics for aggressive styling and aerodynamics
•Designed to have a low center of gravity for better maneuverability and responsiveness

Power Pack / Electronics
Years of development and proprietary Z-Force™ technology make the Zero S a leader in acceleration, range and longevity. Using an advanced monitoring system, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled during charge and discharge. The onboard charger integrates into this system and uses a specially developed charge profile to optimize the power pack’s recharge time. Using isolated power systems the Zero S uses a standard 12 volt current to run the dash, lighting and other on board accessories.
•Proprietary Z-Force™ power pack for increased acceleration and range
•Redundant safety features to accommodate extreme conditions
•Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
•Onboard charger that uses a specially developed charge profile
•Keyed ignition tied to a solenoid switch for a safe and instant power up

Motor / Z-Force Air Induction
A compact and powerful motor drives the Zero S. The new Z-Force Air Induction system allows the Zero S to output more power from the motor by efficiently moving air through its core. Mounted low on the frame to increase maneuverability, the highly efficient motor lowers the center of gravity while providing high torque and acceleration.
•Z-Force Air Induction system allows for increased motor performance
•Powerful, low weight and compact motor
•Highly efficient and low maintenance permanent magnet motor design

Wheels and Brakes
The Zero S wheels are engineered to minimize unsprung weight and reduce rotating mass. Designed specifically for the Zero S, the lightweight construction includes custom hubs, spokes, and rotors. To maximize overall wheel strength the hub is configured to use straight pull spokes. The resulting wheel is lighter, stronger and more responsive.
•Specially developed high performance wheel set
•Aggressive profile street tires
•Custom designed hubs for reduced weight and maximum wheel strength
•High strength/lightweight straight pull spokes
•Full float calipers
•Custom foot actuated rear and hand actuated front brake

Suspension
The suspension on the Zero S was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycles’ lightweight design. Its inverted front fork is among the lightest in the industry and can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping.
•Zero designed lightweight front end (lightest in the industry)
•Inverted front fork to reduce unsprung weight
•Fully adjustable rebound and compression damping on the front
•Custom rear shock with adjustable spring preload and damping
•Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity

Dash / Lights
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide information on speed, charge and motor temperature. In the evening the dash lights up with the flip of a switch and is accompanied by a high intensity headlight.
•Digital and analog speed display
•Motor temperature sensor

Gearing
A clutchless one speed, the Zero S is geared for rapid acceleration and increased efficiency. Using a direct chain drive and hardened alloy sprockets the Zero S is able to achieve minimal frictional loss. This increases the overall range and channels power into speed.
•Clutchless one speed
•Geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency
•Minimal maintenance

2010 Zero S - International Specifications
MSRP: $9,950 USD (Eligible for a 10% Federal Tax Credit in the USA**)

Motor Type Brushed permanent magnet electric
Top speed 67 mph (105 km/h)
Power System Type Patent-pending lithium ion array
Capacity 4 kWh (58volts @ 70Ah)
Range Up to 50 miles (80 km)* - See real world range testsRecharge time Less than 4 hours
Charger type On-board
Input Standard 110V or 220V
Drive Train Transmission Clutchless one speed
Drive system 16T / 53T, 420 Chain
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes Front suspension travel 8 inches (203.2 mm)
Rear suspension travel 8 inches (203.2 mm)
Front brakes 2 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, hand actuated
Rear brakes 1 Piston hydraulic, stainless rotor, foot actuated
Front tire 110/70-16
Rear tire 140/70-16
Dimensions Wheel base 56.8 inches (144.3 cm)
Seat height (standard) 34 inches (86.4 cm)
Low seat height (option) 32 inches (81.3 cm)
Rake 22 degrees
Trail 3.26 inches (82.8 mm)
Steering angle + 35 Degrees, -35 Degrees
Weight Frame 18 pounds (8.16 kg)
Power pack 95 pounds (43.1 kg)
Curb weight 273 pounds (123.8 kg)
GVWR 575 pounds (260.8 kg)
Carrying capacity 302 pounds (136.0 kg)
Economy Typical cost to recharge Less than $.01 per mile or kilometer

*Range varies based on riding style.

**Federal Tax Credit and Sales Tax Deduction
The Zero S is eligible for the recently passed 10% federal tax credit. This effectively reduces the purchase price of your motorcycle by $1000 and reduces the total cost to around $8,995.

(Note, there is no 2011 Zero motorcycle models released as of Feb 4, 2011)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: 2010 Zero S (Electric) - COOL WALL VOTE: In progress

#2 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Range Up to 50 miles (80 km)* - See real world range tests
Recharge time Less than 4 hours
Dealbreaker for this alone.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted awesome because I think anyone owning this is on the "cutting edge of technology" and it will attract a lot of attention because it is so unique. I am a gasoline/petrol engine fan and I would hate to see that type of engine go away one day as it adds a lot of character and heritage to a motorcycle. The electric engine just doesn't sound like a motorcycle at all, being so quiet, but from what I've read, they offer a great deal of torque.

80km range, well, I guess that is ok, but useability wise I really think it needs to go much further and recharged much faster than in 4 hours. If we see electric motorcycles getting 150+km on a charge and recharging done in 15 mins, then we have something that will replace the gas engines IMO. That might take awhile.

At 273 pounds, it's very light but I really don't know the size of it as I've never seen one in real life so I don't know if it's like a 250cc bike or a full sized. If it's full sized then that's really impressive.

The other things I wonder about is how is it to work on? Can you do anything or is it a "sealed unit". Will a motorcycle that makes "no sound" catch on?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#4 Unread post by rayian »

I have no use for such a bike so I vote useless. I suppose if you need a commuter and you can charge up daily if would do the job

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#5 Unread post by pchast »

Sounds like a great commuter bike. Too bad its so expensive...
I'd still want a gas one for rides and trips when I work up to that.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

Fail. Useless as a commuter. 50 mile range means I can't even do one trip to work - 67mph top speed means I'd get run over on I-295 trying to make that trip....
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

I voted "Awesome". Sure, it's expensive, has a long recharge time, limited range and mediocre top speed, but 5 years ago bikes like this couldn't exist because the technology at the time wouldn't allow for it. Think back to the first cell phones (those of you old enough to remember them) and compare them to the cell phones of today... now think of the potential for electric motorcycles 5-10 years from now as the technology progresses - what if they do succeed in making an electric bike that does everything a gas motor powered one does and has zero effect on the environment? I would SO have one in my garage!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

jstark47 wrote:67mph top speed means I'd get run over on I-295 trying to make that trip....
Um... dude... find an alternate route. Ask any Ural owner what this entails. :wink: :mrgreen:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

Gummiente wrote:
jstark47 wrote:67mph top speed means I'd get run over on I-295 trying to make that trip....
Um... dude... find an alternate route. Ask any Ural owner what this entails. :wink: :mrgreen:
In this area, "alternate route" entails turning a 45-minute commute into an hour and a half as you plow through the Trenton metro area on local streets. No thanks.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#10 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I wanted to vote awesome but I feel as though the technology is not advanced enough for me to categorise it as such. I do think it's great that there is someone out there (i.e. the Zero company) who thinks it's important to invest in "earth friendlier" technology. :mrgreen:

They definitely have to work on increasing the range and implementing a way for the motorcycle to sound like it's a real motorcycle.
Andrea :sun: