2011 Yamaha FZ8 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Yamaha FZ8 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 Yamaha FZ8 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 Yamaha FZ8

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ha-FZ8.htm

The all-new FZ8 has a streetfighter attitude with sporkbike manners.

Have it all.

The all new 2011 Yamaha FZ8 is a do-it-all sportbike with amazing all around performance for both urban commando and the weekend canyon carver. And at 800cc it splits the difference between a 600 and liter-bike so you get light weight handling along with great torque... all in a stylish, upright package.

Combining sports bike performance and aggressive naked styling with all day riding comfort, the 2011 Yamaha is a special breed of motorcycle. The word practical pops to mind, but don't confuse practical with dull. Most riders can only afford one machine and the new 2011 FZ8 is worth a serious look. It delivers solid performance from its new 779cc inline-4 engine and excellent handling thanks to the Yamaha FZ1 inspired twin spar aluminum frame. And when it comes to comfort...

The motorcycle world is becoming more highly specialized by the day.

Special niche models are popping up everywhere. Unfortunately, most of us can only afford one bike. The new FZ8 is a brilliant "all-rounder" that brings fun, excitement and adrenalin to each and every ride. It is ready to slice its way through the "twisties", cruise the backroads in comfort and style or make that daily commute a bunch more enjoyable. Attitude, power, handling and style, the new FZ8 is the ultimate everyday sport bike.

The motorcycle world is becoming more highly specialized by the day.

Special niche models are popping up everywhere. Unfortunately, most of us can only afford one bike. The new FZ8 is a brilliant "all-rounder" that brings fun, excitement and adrenalin to each and every ride. It is ready to slice its way through the "twisties", cruise the backroads in comfort and style or make that daily commute a bunch more enjoyable. Attitude, power, handling and style, the new FZ8 is the ultimate everyday sport bike.

Aggressive looks and aggressive character define the new Yamaha FZ8 – a high performance real world sports bike designed to deliver a shot of adrenaline every time you turn the key.

At the heart of the FZ8 is a flexible and powerful 779cc engine with instant drive and torque at low revs, and a trademark Yamaha rush of horsepower as you approach the red line. Light, easy handling and roomy ergonomics round out the ultimate everyday sports machine – and the optional ABS system makes hard braking safe, whatever the conditions.

The FZ8 is not a bike for beginners – it’s the naked sportsbike with true attitude and the power to back it up.

The FZ8 – instant adrenaline with an attitude

Yamaha’s FZ range packages supersports performance into a versatile chassis for everyday enjoyment. The FZ8 breathes new life into the mid-class bike category – for a more assertive machine with instant grunt lower in the rev range.

The naked FZ8’s muscular stance alerts you to the fact that this is a serious sports bike – and that light, fast handling and instant, willing power encourages bad behaviour and begs you to explore its full potential every time you turn the throttle Ride it hard with confidence – the FZ8 packs attitude, adrenaline and Yamaha’s renowned build and finish quality into a flexible street sports machine for everyday performance riding.

Aggressive, mass-forward design

The FZ8’s muscular, forward-moving looks make it clear right from the start that this bike means business. The aggressive headlight and 3-piece tank cover set the tone, but it’s the powdercoated frame and jet-black engine that steal the attention.

New 779cc engine

An all-new engine combines new cylinder bodies, crankshaft, top end and forged pistons with a new displacement of 779cc - to craft the perfect power curve and character for this new category.

Instant torque meets slingshot horsepower

The new FZ8 engine is designed for instant drive down low with a thick torque band – making it a lively machine even on shorter trips. But rev it toward the red line, and you’ll discover that trademark Yamaha rush of top-end power when it’s time to unleash serious sports performance.

Aluminium frame

The black, powdercoated Deltabox frame at the structural centre of the FZ8 series features a low weight, high rigidity design - giving you outstanding highspeed stability and cornering confidence.

Slim fuel tank and compact, roomy ergonomics

The Fazer8 has a slim tank and speciallypositioned footrests and handlebars – for a riding position that feels light, compact and gives you the space to move.

Optional ABS

The optional linear control ABS is an incredibly effective safety system – it will outbrake almost any rider in the dry, and becomes a massive advantage when the road is wet, bumpy or slippery.

Brand new for 2011

2011 Yamaha FZ8 - Specifications
MSRP: $8,490 US - MSRP: $10,499 CDN

Engine Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, inline 4
Displacement 779cc
Bore and Stroke 68 x 53.6 mm
Compression Ratio 12:1
Maximum Torque 8.4 kg-m (60.8 ft-lbs.) @ 8,000 rpm
Fuel Delivery Mikuni 35mm throttle body F.I.
Estimated Fuel Consumption* TBA
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition / Starting TCI / Electric
Transmission 6-speed
Final Drive "O"-ring chain

Suspension (Front) 43mm inverted fork
Suspension (Rear) Link Monocross
Brakes (Front) Dual 310mm discs
Brakes (Rear) 267mm disc
Tires (Front) 120/70ZR17
Tires (Rear) 180/55ZR17

Length 2,140mm (84.3")
Width 770mm (30.3")
Height 1,065mm (41.9")
Wheelbase 1,460mm (57.5")
Rake / Trail 25° / 109mm
Seat Height 815mm (32.1")
Fuel Capacity 17 litres (3.7 imp. gallons)
Wet Weight 212 kg (466.4 lb.)
Colour(s) Metallic Black
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

Re: 2011 Yamaha FZ8 - COOL WALL VOTE: In progress

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

I vote awesome. I love bikes like this. The price, the style, the versatility. I love it. She's hot and nekid.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted Awesome (for the White version, the black would just get cool).

As Yamaha says "Have it all."

I really like the Standard motorcycle styling, the naked bike look, the engine cc size, the idea of all day riding comfort... For style I love the light gold rims and gold front forks on the white version. I would love to see it in Yamaha Deep Metallic Red (man, I LOVE that color!) Yamaha uses on the YFZ-R1 (and other models).

I'm not a big fan of the 17l (3.7 gal) gas tank size, I would have liked to see it 19l for more touring distance, but that's minor (at least it isn't a 15l!) and the price is just right at MSRP: $8,490 US - MSRP: $10,499 CDN. I think some people will still go for the FZ1 for $2k more or the last of the FZ6's for less (the 2009 FZ6's sold for $7,290 US and $9299 CDN).

While I really like the 779cc engine size (I think it's a great do-it-all size) I wouldn't recommend this as a first bike like I "could" recommend the FZ6 as an advanced learner. The FZ8 is more of an experienced rider bike, maybe someone coming off of a 600cc or smaller but doesn't want a 1000cc + bike or see no use for one. I have also heard the FZ8 is really a FZ1 engine sleeved...

It will be interesting how the FZ8 will also compete with the new Z750 when it comes (maybe next year) to North America.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#4 Unread post by jaskc78 »

I voted Uncool. The headlight, to me, is just hideous, and I'm a big fan of the naked bike segment but some of them--like this one--just look completely wrong to my eye in the profile view. I don't know what it is, but it just looks wrong. If I had to put my finger on something, I'd say that the airbox/tank section just arches up too high without having any plastics on the side to help balance it out for my taste.

That being said, I am really excited that it seems more bike manufacturers are willing to start selling nakeds in the US again and I think it's an awesome concept. Hopefully they'll release that engine in the supersport class and give the GSXR750 some competition. That's my $0.02.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#5 Unread post by sunshine229 »

AWESOME all the way!

As you know I used to own a Z750S (check out my avatar!) but before buying the Z I seriously checked out the FZ6. I liked the Z slightly more at that time, but now that the Z has gone really angular and origami I would look at owning the FZ8.

I would not recommend the older FZ6 as a beginner, and so I certainly wouldn't recommend the FZ8 as a beginner either. However, the fact that the bike is now in the 800cc range rather than 600, it will probably attract more of those experienced riders who want a naked sports with good oomph but don't want the FZ1 (I am not at all interested in owning a 1000cc version when the power of the FZ6 almost scared the pants off me...).

The Fazer 8 also interests me a lot...
Andrea :sun:

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#6 Unread post by rayian »

For me this bike is not quite awesome but definitely very cool. Sitting in the middle between the R1(FZ1) and the R6(FZ6) with all of Yamaha's racing experience behind it I'm sure this bike will be a blast to ride.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I love standards/streetfighters/nakeds . . . pretty much any bike that's simple, elemental, with a humane riding position and good useable performance. 700-800cc is an interesting engine size too, very versatile. I voted cool for the FZ8, and would've voted awesome, but it's got a lot of really interesting competition in the class; Street Triple R, Monster 796, F800R, Aprilia Shiver, etc.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:I love standards/streetfighters/nakeds . . . pretty much any bike that's simple, elemental, with a humane riding position and good useable performance. 700-800cc is an interesting engine size too, very versatile. I voted cool for the FZ8, and would've voted awesome, but it's got a lot of really interesting competition in the class; Street Triple R, Monster 796, F800R, Aprilia Shiver, etc.
Great points.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Just checked the pics of this bike out again and wow, what a great looking bike! Love the naked look. :D

Guys - only a day and a half left on the cool wall for this one! Get your vote in... :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

waterbuffalo750
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1999 Harley Davidson Night Train FXSTB

#10 Unread post by waterbuffalo750 »

eh, it's cool. If there was a "eh, it's alright" category, I'd have picked that. It's definitely not uncool though. I like the basic style of it, but the whole headlight assembly looks like an afterthought. The folks at Yamaha were thinking "people have to know it's a Yamaha!" And they just pushed that too far. I don't like that look on their atv's either. If(when?) I get a naked bike, I really prefer the European ones, this one looks definitely more Japanese styled.