2011 Triumph Rocket III Roadster- COOL WALL VOTE: Uncool

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster is...

You may select 1 option

68%
18%
11%
3%

Total votes: 99

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 Triumph Rocket III Roadster- COOL WALL VOTE: Uncool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 Triumph Rocket 111 Roadster

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... adster.htm

2011 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

The world’s ultimate motorcycle Roadster moves out of pure cruiser territory and transcends into that of the ultimate muscle streetfighter with the new Rocket III Roadster.

Coming in two mean and moody black color options, metallic Phantom Black or an aggressive Matte Black alternative, the Rocket III Roadster is powered by an uprated version of Triumph’s iconic three-cylinder 2,297cc powerplant. Maximum power has increased over the outgoing Rocket III, with torque up by 15% to a mighty 163 ft.lbs.

Triumph’s sophisticated anti-lock braking system is fitted as standard to the Rocket III Roadster, the first time that an ABS system has been specified to the Rocket III platform.

New ergonomics give the Rocket III Roadster a completely different riding experience from its predecessors while new rear suspension units have been designed to offer a more comfortable and controlled ride than the previous Rocket III, while the main components take on a blacked-out appearance to reinforce the Rocket III’s ‘bad boy’ image. Many components have been taken back to black, including the forks, yokes and rear springs. New silencers, one on each side, are the final touches. These have been designed to release more power and torque and optimize the aural experience of the Triumph Rocket III Roadster.

With its iconic turbine-like 2.3 litre engine, the Rocket III delivers an unforgettable experience.

Choose the Rocket III Touring and enjoy a mile-munching custom touring motorcycle with a unique character and charisma. Suspension has been tuned to achieve high levels of comfort without compromising control, while the with 180mm rear tyre and 16 inch wheels make for surprisingly agile handling. Alternatively, go for the Rocket III Roadster which transcends pure cruisers as the ultimate muscle streetfighter. Maximum power is up, and torque is up - to say nothing of the hairs on the back of your neck.

2.3 litres. 221Nm of torque. Blacked out. Blinged up. Streetfighting cruiser. Hard.

The Rocket III Roadster is not normal, it is very, very special.

No other motorcycle on the planet comes close to delivering the tree-pulling levels of torque that comes as standard with the turbine-like triple.

Twist and go. Sounds great, stops great. Standard ABS. Classic streetfighter looks. Are you 'bad' enough for the Rocket III Roadster?

Triumph Rocket III Roadster

It may sound like a cliche, but Triumph's Rocket III Roadster truly is a unique motorcycle with massive presence and a legendary powerplant.

With its 2,294cc three-cylinder engine, the Rocket III Roadster is home to the worldfs largest production motorcycle engine. Delivering a 221Nm wallop of torque at just 2750rpm, the Rocket III Roadster delivers a riding experience unmatched by anything else on two wheels.

Although featuring in Triumph's Cruiser range, the Rocket III Roadster transcends genres. With its midmounted pegs and relatively upright riding position, the Roadster takes on a streetfighter stance and delivers an attitude-laden ride that every motorcyclist should experience at least once in their
two-wheeled career. Shrinking violets need not apply.

The ergonomics ensure that the Roadster delivers a completely different riding experience to any other
Rocket IIIs and one that is easier to hustle through the corners. With a plush seat for both rider and
pillion, and a more comfortable and controllable rear suspension, the Rocket III Roadster is capable
of covering long distances with aplomb.

As you would expect from a flagship model, the Rocket III Roadster comes highly equipped
as standard, with a comprehensive instrumentation including fuel gauge, gear selection indicator
and clock, 43mm upside down front forks, adjustable rear suspension, low maintenance shaft drive
and sophisticated anti lock brakes as standard.

Up front, the Rocket III Roadster sports Triumph's trademark twin headlights to make this imposing
motorcycle even more striking, while the components carefully balance black and chrome to create
an aggressive stripped down look.

For 2011, the Rocket III Roadster comes in two new special colour options. In addition to the popular metallic Phantom Black comes in two flamboyant colour schemes: Phantom Red Haze and Phantom Blue Haze. These are hand painted in Triumph's Hinckley factory and contain high sparkle content which create an impression of incredible depth in sunlight, transforming from near black to a vibrant red or blue.

2011 Triumph Rocket III Roadster - Specifications

Engine Type
Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity
2294cc
Bore/Stroke
101.6 x 94.3mm
Compression Ratio
8.7:1
Fuel System
Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with twin butterflies and progressive linkage on primary butterflies

Transmission
Final Drive
Shaft
Clutch
Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox
5-speed constant mesh

Cycle Parts
Frame
Tubular steel, twin spine
Swingarm
Twin-sided, steel (houses drive shaft)
Front Wheel
Cast aluminium alloy 5-spoke, 17 x 3.5in
Rear Wheel
Cast aluminium alloy 5-spoke, 16 x 7.5in
Front Tyre
150/80 R17
Rear Tyre
240/50 R 16
Front Suspension
Kayaba 43mm upside down forks, 120mm travel
Rear Suspension
Kayaba black spring twin shocks with 5 position adjustable preload, 105mm wheel travel
Front Brakes
Twin 320mm floating discs, Nissin 4-piston fixed calipers, Nissin ABS system
Rear Brakes
Single 316mm fixed disc, Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, Nissin ABS system

Dimensions
Length
2500 mm (98.3 in)
Width (Handlebars)
970 mm (38.2 in)
Height
1165 mm (45.8 in)
Seat Height
750 mm (29.5 in)
Wheelbase
1695 mm (66.7 in)
Rake/Trail
32 degree / 148 mm
Wet weight
367 kg (807 lbs)
Fuel Tank Capacity
24 litres (6.3 gals)

Performance (measured at crankshaft to 95/1/EC)
Maximum Power EC
148PS / 146bhp / 109kW @ 5750 rpm
Maximum Torque EC
221Nm / 163 ft.lbs @ 2750 rpm

Colours

Phantom Black, Phantom Blue Haze, Phantom Red Haze, Matte Black
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Re: 2011 Triumph Rocket 111 Roadster- COOL WALL VOTE in Prog

#2 Unread post by mogster »

More torque?!!! The first time I sat on the back of my fella's '06 Rocket III I could feel the beast just waiting to be unleashed!

As a pillion criticism of the '06 model would include poor comfort on long trips with footpegs too far back & suspension too hard. Any improvements to pillion comfort are welcome.

So obviously I have to vote AWESOME in fact there should be a super awesome category for this one! :uk: :blowup:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

It's possibly the most outrageous production bike in existence and there's a snowball's chance in hell that I'd ever buy one, but I thank the gods and John Bloor that bikes like these are being manufactured. A 2.3 liter engine? 163 ft/lbs of torque? Over 800lbs wet? How can it NOT be awesome?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

Gargantuan. Clumsy. Overweight. Radiator looks like a freakin' billboard. Overkill in every department. Like a vintage V65 Honda, good for only one thing: stupid fast acceleration in a straight line.

These things sit on the floor of our local dealership for months and years at a time, glowering at the customers, and taking up enough space for two normal bikes. No one buys them until they're discounted by ungodly amounts.

Uncool.

:stickpoke: :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

Uncool, for the same reasons as the Touring model I rode a couple years back: http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopi ... 10&t=35492
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#6 Unread post by Markg1 »

Alright...good choice! I really like true muscle bikes and this is definitely one! Having a v65 when I was fifteen set the standards for me when it came to muscle bikes. I would ride a few of my buddies bikes but never compared to my v65 as far as power. Well this rocket iii sure can. After I got rid of my vmax gen1, I was looking for a new muscle bike for my self. I wanted a vmax but they were expensive and hard to come by. I looked at the rocket iii and it was huge! I didn't take for a test ride but it seemed a little on the bulky side for me. Not much later I found my vmax gen2 (perfect for me)! Although the rocket iii may be big and bulky, I gave it an awesome vote...just because it is one of the few true muscle bikes!
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

jaskc78
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#7 Unread post by jaskc78 »

I can't say it really does much for me at all, but I also can't put my finger on exactly why. I mean, there's the usual few minor things that don't suit my fancy but nothing individually that I can look at and say, "That's it. That's why I don't like it."

The radiator...they need to find a way to make it not so intrusive on the rest of the bike or find somewhere else to put it. Where, I don't know, but I'm not an engineer. Also would like to see something else done with that upswept megaphone exhaust, but I think that's pretty much a trademark of most Triumphs. I do like the dual headlight look, but it doesn't really fit on this bike the way it does the Speed Triple, or maybe it's just that gaudy horn cover looking thing mounted just below them that gives that almost alien bug-eyed look to the front of the bike. And while I understand the classic styling cues that inspired the fender cap, what I don't understand is why they left it on there when trying for a streetfighter look.

Overall, I'm going to have to vote uncool and I think after organizing my criticisms and expressing them in text I can say it's because the bike looks like it started as a touring bike and the designer team had a dream of turning it into a muscle cruiser. Halfway through the process, though, they were told that it was supposed to be a streetfighter and the end result is somewhere in the middle of all three.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

jstark47 wrote:Gargantuan. Clumsy. Overweight... Like a vintage V65 Honda..."Uncool.
yeah. too pragmatic -- lacks beauty. Just a big lump and BIG isnt enough. That engine does nothing for the lines of the bike. It's automotive. Reminds me of a Honda Valkyrie (ugly bike), but the Rocket III is quite a bit better. There's a definite reason why a V-Twin works so well in a bike - asthetics, torque, etc... while this layout isnt right for a cruiser --- which requires a visual prescence.

A 2.3L is automotive. A nice exercise in stuff a monster triple in a chassis, and I'd like to hear it running, but it's not my thing.

I agree with Grey Thumper "I thank the gods and John Bloor that bikes like these are being manufactured. A 2.3 liter engine? 163 ft/lbs of torque?..." --- i agree moreso in the sense that the freedom to build it is important... and let those who want one buy it.... having twice the torque that even a typically large bike engine has is worth a laugh too.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Definately an insane muscle bike!

But is this a case of too much of something good is just too much? Too big, too heavy and too much power to use in traffic? Hmmm....

I like the idea of a muscle bike (or muscle cruiser) and it's definately different, that engine as mentioned is closer to an automotive engine than a motorcycle engine so IMO that's a negative, but the Rocket 3 is so unique (maybe a copy of a Boss Hoss V6/V6 bike) it is ok.

The one thing that has confused me since Triumph brought out the Rocket III is the name... Is it:

Rocket 3
Rocket III (with 3 i's)
Rocket 111
or
Rocket Three

It drives me nutz.

Would I ride one? Sure. Would I own one... I'm just not "bulky enough" to pull it off myself, if I was, maybe I would buy one though.

Is it a bike screaming for attention? Yes
Is it a bike for someone who wants attention? Yes

If I owned one I'd have to vote Awesome, as it is the biggest, baddest, bike on the road. Would I be happy with it as my only bike? No. I sure wouldn't want to push that around in a gas station or parking lot or pull my leg doing it.

So I'll go with Uncool

I love the idea but I feel like the bike is trying to make up for something it doesn't have more than any other bike I know.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is a Boss Hoss BTW I was talking about: