2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T is...

You may select 1 option

View results

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Re: 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: in Progress

#21 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I went and read a couple reviews, and noticed one review was Feb 2009 (so it shows how little attention I've been paying to some bikes), so like Highside mentioned it came before the Duckie so they didnt do the copy-cat.

The edgy styling a common KTM characteristic now. It has some personality. The bird look is not the best, but it has something going for it. It does look very much an evolution of KTMs usual (excellent) dirt-bike designs, pushed towards more street duty. It's nice looking for an ugly-bike genre :D Even the best looking weight lifter looks kindof ugly to me.

I loved riding an original Duke (640) quite a few years ago now (not bad but too softly sprung for real Super Motard duty), and the only other KTM I have ridden was a 125SX (wicked 2-stroke motocrosser). The usual feedback from KTM owners is generally positive in my experience -- and having worked at a KTM dealer (albeit some time ago when they were just gaining hold again on the off-road market and moving into that new orange colour scheme) they have always built high quality stuff, which makes for that super clean look. In other words they always look cooler in person.

Decent enough horsepower; pretty light considering it is more of a HyperMo thing than a SuperMo... i.e. another category. It just aint gonna win any power contests in the hooligan market. Ducati having more horsepower helps separate the two by price and power. A "budget buy" aint about cool anyway, it's about reality, but if you can get cool for less cash then it's all good. I think the KTM is costly enough, the Ducati is pushing the envelope for cost, but they also have a stronger brand image among the masses.

Anyway, I gave the SM-T a Cool vote because it is interesting to see manufacturers working on creating new genre's of production bikes.

10-20 years ago all you had for production bikes in Canada was 90% a) Cruiser or b) Sportbike c) Dual-sport d) Trail-bike e) Motocrosser, and maybe 5% Standards at best... now the variations of standards, cruiser, dirt and adventure touring things are really strong. And the quality of dual-sports (for off-road, and for backroad adventure-touring) and the many Motards is great. It also reminds me how cool the Yamaha V-Max was 25 years ago, as well as riding KX500/CR500 ice racers, and other fun stuff that other people just didnt care about. The funny thing is my buddies and I loved the Motards starting when we first saw the ABC Superbikes series. It is amazing how long it has taken them to become acceptable/fashionable among the masses and then to breed these newer production designs.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#22 Unread post by HYPERR »

QuietMonkey wrote: I loved riding an original Duke (640) quite a few years ago now (not bad but too softly sprung for real Super Motard duty), and the only other KTM I have ridden was a 125SX (wicked 2-stroke motocrosser).
That's not the original Duke, that was the Duke II, the original Duke was the one that looked like a cartoon character, the one that was called the 620, even though the actual displacement was 609cc.

Anyways....I didn't know they were softly sprung...I suppose its because in the early days of motard, they saw a lot more dirt than they do today? :boat:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#23 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

yep, you're right. i just googled and see it was the Duke II with the stacked headlights as opposed to the cartoon eye-balls :D (i always loved the eye-ball helmet paint scheme like that too)... i remember it was about 12 or 13 grand up here too.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#24 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

At the end it was a close call between COOL and AWESOME! Good to see this KTM did so well in the voting, I wasn't sure how it was going to come out as it's our first dual sport (and KTM).

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 KTM 990 Supermoto T is...

Awesome 33%
Cool 50%

Next bike is now up for voting and discussing:

2011 Bimota Tesi 3D
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=42075
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#25 Unread post by sunshine229 »

High_Side wrote:
sunshine229 wrote:I voted cool.

I'm not a big KTM fan but this bike is pretty nice looking.
I'm so disappointed in you right now. :laughing:
I know! I'm sorry!

:giveup:

However, I didn't say I disliked ALL KTM's, I'm just not an overall fan... (is that anything close to redeeming?)

:help:
Andrea :sun:

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#26 Unread post by High_Side »

sunshine229 wrote:
However, I didn't say I disliked ALL KTM's, I'm just not an overall fan... (is that anything close to redeeming?)

:help:
I'll let it slide this time..... :rant: :P