2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

VOTE: Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS is...

You may select 1 option

42%
35%
23%
No votes

Total votes: 31

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 650ABS.htm

If you're looking for adventure, the V-Strom 650 ABS is the machine to help you find it. The 650cc V-twin is a favorite of motorcycle journalists. It combines versatile performance with exciting middleweight agility— an ideal combination of lightweight agility and crisp handling. The V-Strom 650 ABS invites you to carve up canyon roads or ride the open highway in all-day comfort. And it’s available with the added safety and piece of mind of Suzuki's Antilock Braking System (ABS).

What really sets the V-Strom apart from other street bikes, of course, is its unmatched versatility. Its lightweight, agile handling inspires confidence, while its smooth suspension front and rear performs exceptionally well in almost any situation. In addition, it has an extra-large fuel tank for extended riding. It's equally at home around town, thanks to its low seat height, light weight and overall crisp handling. And the V-Strom's V-twin engine adds excitement to every ride, offering a wide powerband and strong acceleration in every gear.

It's time to get in on the adventure—with the 2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650.

New for 2011: In addition to black, the 2011 V-Strom 650 ABS will be available in a new Pearl Mirage White finish.

2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Features

Key Features

The V-Strom 650 ABS comes with an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) for optimum braking performance. Dual front disc brakes with large 310mm rotors and twin-piston calipers, plus single-disc rear brake with 260mm rotor and single-piston caliper.

Engine Features

The V-Strom is equipped with a 645cc, 90-degree V-twin, DOHC, eight-valve, liquid-cooled engine with dual-spark plug heads for improved combustion and reduced emissions.

Suzuki's class-leading electronic fuel injection features the Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve System (SDTV), which maintains optimum air velocity in the intake tract for smooth low-to-mid rpm throttle response.

The V-Strom 650ABS comes with a high-efficiency liquid cooling system to provide optimum engine operating temperature (the motorcycle also comes with a compact oil cooler).

Suzuki Pulsed Air-Injection (PAIR ) system reduces CO and HC emissions. A California model is equipped with a catalyst in the exhaust to further reduce emissions.

The V-Strom 650 ABS has a high-mounted stainless steel exhaust system with aluminum muffler is tuned to enhance engine torque and low-to-midrange performance.
Transmission Features

The V-Strom 650 ABS is equipped with a smooth shifting 6-speed transmission with cable operated clutch.

Chassis Features

An aluminum twin-spar frame and aluminum swingarm are lightweight, compact and rigid. A bolt-on sub-frame simplifies maintenance.

The V-Strom 650 ABS comes with a preload-adjustable 43mm front fork, which provides a comfortable ride under all riding conditions.

The link-type rear suspension features a single shock absorber with adjustable rebound damping and a knob-operated hydraulic preload adjuster for easy adjustment.

The V-Strom 650 features a slim and compact front fairing for maximum wind protection, plus a large comfortable seat. The fairing includes large multi-reflector 60/55W headlights and a height-adjustable windshield for maximum wind protection and comfort.

The V-Strom 650 ABS has a large 5.8 gallon fuel tank for long-range operation.

A large rear luggage rack with rubber-padded platform helps keep bags and luggage in place.

2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS - United States of America Specifications
USA MSRP - $8,099 USD - Canada: See Dealer

CHASSIS:
Overall Length 2290 mm (90.2 in)
Overall Width 840 mm (33.1 in)
Wheelbase 1555 mm (61.2 in)
Ground Clearance 165 mm (6.5 in)
Seat Height 820 mm (32.3 in)
Curb Weight 220 kg (485 lbs)
Transmission 6-speed constant mesh
Final Drive Chain, DID525V8, 118 links
Suspension Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Link type, coil spring, oil damped
Brakes Front Disc brake, twin
Brakes Rear Disc brake
Tires Front 110/80R19 M/C 59H, tubeless
Tires Rear 150/70R17 M/C 69H, tubeless
Fuel Tank Capacity 22.0 L (5.8 US gallons)

ENGINE:
Displacement 645cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90° V-twin
Fuel System Suzuki fuel injection
Starter Electric
Ignition Electronic ignition (transistorized)

WARRANTY:
Warranty 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: 2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS - COOL WALL VOTE: VOTE NOW!

#2 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Anyone who rides one of these obviously knows what he/she wants, knows what he/she's doing, and absolutely doesn't give a donkey's about what anyone else thinks. By that definition, it's cool. In fact, it's awesome.

PS, a cool bike isn't necessarily a perfect bike. Lord knows the Wee Strom could do with a lot of changes. A restyle job, for one.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

It may not win any beauty pagents, it may be bigger than a train, it may be more practical than a wooden door stop, but the 2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS is this week's Cool Wall bike by popular demand.

Comments copied over from the Suggest a bike thread:

jstark47 wrote:V-strom's are not cool. As a matter of fact, they possess copious amounts of Anti-cool.... :tricycle: :bigsmile:
totalmotorcycle wrote:I honestly thought mine was pretty awesome if I rate awesome as motorcycling comfort and touring range.
rayian wrote:V-Strom's may not be cool but awesome bang for the buck
jstark47 wrote:I still do own one. A black 2005 DL1000. I keep it in the darkest corner of the garage; it's mfugliness tends to frighten small children and kittens..... :devil: Mfugly and Anti-cool in the same bike...... that's just wrong! :bigsmile:
Grey Thumper wrote:Aren't V-Strom's so unapologetically uncool that they're actually cool?
jstark47 wrote:The V-Strom's dork-fu is indeed strong! :mrgreen:

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

The Dork Fu may just get stronger: There are teaser pics at http://suzukicycles.com/ of a replacement V-Strom that is due to be released soon.......

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:The Dork Fu may just get stronger: There are teaser pics at http://suzukicycles.com/ of a replacement V-Strom that is due to be released soon.......
Sure isn't much there other than "coming soon" but it's news to me. Suzuki hasn't revamped the V-Strom since 2007 and that was minor. There are a few interesting V-Strom variants of it in the UK like this one: http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/dl650al1xp/

I Voted: AWSOME. (I did buy one brand new)

I really don't mind the V-Strom's look, hey, I bought one, brand new in 2007. I think the front and the rear of the bike is not the best looker but the side profile was always my favorite. :D

For me, it was all about fit and ease of maintenance. I wanted something to fit my 6'4" height, something that was comfortable, had a V-Twin engine and I could work on it. The looks were secondary. It lived up to that as the 2 years I owned it for (I would still have it today) were great. The gas milage was amazing and so was the comfort. Things I would improve on where the flimsy handlbars and the front windscreen (for taller people). No issues with the bike while I owned it and it started up even in freezing temperatures on the first go.

I also felt the 650cc V-Twin had really nice torque and while it didn't have massive horsepower I could cruise to well over the speed limit to pass on the highway. The stock seat sucked (for me) but the Suzuki OEM Gel seat was amazing. Great for 2 up too with comfort and even though it was a tall bike on 80% street tires it could corner.

If you can get past the looks (which really are not that bad, there are much worse looking bikes out there) then it's an amazing bike at an amazing price.

Mike

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

I should probably vote Uncool for three reasons:

1. It's not a value judgement, just a simple statement of fact. :mrgreen:

2. In their teeny little hearts, every DL650 really wants to be a DL1000 when it grows up.... :stickpoke:

3. It's nickname is WeeStrom. WeeStrom, ferpete's sake???!! Lookit, any bike named "wee" anything canNOT be cool.
Last edited by jstark47 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:I should probably vote Uncool for two reasons:

1. It's not a value judgement, just a simple statement of fact. :mrgreen:

2. In their teeny little hearts, every DL650 really wants to be a DL1000 when it grows up.... :stickpoke:

3. It's nickname is WeeStrom. WeeStrom, ferpete's sake???!! Lookit, any bike named "wee" anything canNOT be cool.
Oh no! haha.

1. Hey, can't fault any judgement decisions. :D

2. I did consider the DL1000 myself, I sat on both and the DL1000 was more top heavy and didn't have much more power to it and had less range due to less MPG. Thus the DL650 won out for me. When I owned the DL650 95% of the time I was very happy with the 650cc's power.

3. Yup, it's nick name, but it's still the same physical size as the DL1000, just the engine is smaller. You would think anything named "wee" is uncool, but since the bike is so big it's kinda cool it's a wee-bike... Kinda like "Little John"

Just debating and having fun with your points. :D

Mike

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#8 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Nice!

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Cool vote :mrgreen:

Before Mike owned it, I would have voted uncool because this bike is not the "coolest" looking bike your money can buy. But now that I know about it's comfort, fuel range and ability to ride many terrains, I definitely vote cool!
Andrea :sun:

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#10 Unread post by Thumper »

The Wee was a strong consideration when I was bike shopping last month...if it had been a couple inches shorter, I probably would have gone for it. But I test sat, knew I'd have issues with the height, decided to mull it over, and found the Bonneville...

It's not a beautiful bike, but it's practical, and these days practical is kinda cool for me...