2009 Yamaha MT-01 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2009 Yamaha MT-01 is..

You may select 1 option

67%
30%
No votes
4%

Total votes: 57

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2009 Yamaha MT-01 - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2009 Yamaha MT-01

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... a-MT01.htm

2009 Yamaha MT-01

The MT-01 is the bike that started the "Torque Sports" revolution.

Sports Torque is a unique kind of motorcycling experience, and the MT-01 is one of the finest examples of this breed. Torque Sports performance opens up a new world of sports riding because it offers an alternative to high RPM rush to today's in-line four cylinder supersport bikes. Grab a handful of throttle and discover the arm stretching torque that flows from the MT-01's massive V-Twin powerplant.

Maximum torque is unleashed at a mere 3,750 rpms. The MT-01's soul stirring torque is guaranteed to put a smile on your face while the agile sports chassis offers its rider all the exhilaration of a supersport machine. At Yamaha we recognize that as many sport riders mature, they often seek a slightly less extreme alternative. If you are ready to take the next step in sports riding, you owe it to yourself to check out the revolutionary 2009 MT-01.

The MT series is here to shake up the streets with a whole new style of sports riding. We call it Torque Sports and it's all about uniting big-piston engines with sports chassis for a dramatic new riding experience. Our Torque Sport roadsters perform to a different kind of beat, like Japan's legendary Kodo drumbeat, an earth-trembling expression of awesome latent power produced by massive bass drums.

Minimal… maximal… the MT-01 seems like a mass of contradictions, like nothing you’ve ever known before, an air-cooled 1,670 cc V-twin that rocks like a sports bike. The MT-01 is a revolutionary motorcycle, with a soulbeat character that unleashes maximum torque at 3,750 rpm, when most engines are still half asleep. That’s the whole idea of Torque Sports – mega-thrust is right there, the instant you grab the throttle. And this mega-capacity, long-stroke engine is bolted into an aluminium supersport-derived frame with R1-style truss swingarm, 43 mm upside-down forks, low-slung rear shock, radial-mounted calipers and a uniquely chiselled, radical design. MT-01 – performs like nothing else on this earth.

EVERY BEAT OF THIS ENGINE IS AN EVENT
The heart of the MT-01 is its engine - a massive, air-cooled, 1,670cc V-twin drumming out its own kind of heartbeat that will reverberate through motorcycling history. This is iconic sports performance like nothing else on the street, unleashing mega torque and a throbbing exhaust note from its long-stroke crankshaft, forged pistons, ultra-efficient pent roof combustion chambers and ceramic composite-plated cylinders.

TORQUE SPORTS FROM TICK-OVER TO REDLINE
This monumental V-twin has been tuned for Torque sports.
At low rpm the massive pulsing torque output delivers an instant rush of thrust. And at increased revs - peak torque arrives at 3,750 rpm - that thrust growls and swells to produce astonishing sports performance. The low-mass crankshaft encourages easy-revving performance, while the tall-ratio gearbox allows you to use the incomparable torque output to maximum effect. In other words, no matter what the revs are, the enjoyment is all yours with MT-01.

MINIMUM CHASSIS, MAXIMUM ENGINE
With a bike like the MT-01 the engine has got to be the centre of attention, so when we came to designing the frame we wanted it to be minimal, to allow the engine to rule, and yet great to look at.

Which is why we used our exclusive CF die-cast technology. This hi-tech process - developed by Yamaha - allows lighter, more intricate castings, giving us the freedom to create a weldless frame that is stiff, light, compact and stunning to look at. The upside-down truss-style swingarm - similar to the arm used on our YZF-R1 supersport weapon - is also cast aluminium for an optimum stiffness/flex ratio, contributing to the bike’s confidence-inspiring handling.

INHALE
The MT-01 breathes in and lives. Yamaha engineers focused special attention on the bike’s intake system, working to cram the delivery of fresh, dense air into those massive cylinders for a lusty, big-torque feeling. Air enters the large-capacity, variable intake downdraft airbox - neatly housed within the frame - to feed the digital fuel injection system, featuring twin-bore downdraft injectors for astonishing low-rpm performance and transient power characteristics.

EXHALE
The MT-01 lives and breathes out. It feeds on gasoline and air, the burned mix exhaling through a titanium exhaust system that maximises the MT-01’s pounding heartbeat. Superbly sculpted from large-radius curves for reduced exhaust-flow resistance, the exhaust system – featuring a muffler cover cooling system - uses Yamaha’s renowned Supersport-bred EXUP device, for enhanced low-rpm torque, and culminates in magnificent twin mufflers that emit a rhythmic, throbbing beat you can both feel and hear.

SENSORY OVERLOAD
Just in front of you, the MT-01’s dash panel tells the story of every mile travelled, its 3D-effect analogue tacho marking every heartbeat, its digital speedo so easy to read. Even the instrument illumination contributes to the MT-01 riding experience, with individually adjustable backlighting for each device. DimensionsOverall length 2,185 mm
Overall width 800 mm
Overall height 1,105 mm
Seat height 825 mm
Wheelbase 1,525 mm
Min. ground clearance 145 mm
Dry weight 243 kg
Fuel tank capacity 15 litres)
Oil capacity 5.0 litres

2009 Yamaha MT-01 Highlights:

- 1670cc V-twin produces massive torque
- Sportbike spec chassis with fully adjustable suspension

2009 Yamaha MT-01 - Candian Specifications
MSRP: C$16,099

Engine Air-cooled, OHV, 8-valve, 48 degree, V-twin
Displacement 1670 cc
Bore and Stroke 97 x 113 mm
Compression Ratio 8.4:1
Maximum Torque 15.3 kg-m (110.7 ft-lb) @ 3,750 rpm
Fuel Delivery 40 mm Mikuni throttle body F.I.
Lubrication Dry sump
Ignition Digital TCI
Transmission 5-speed
Final Drive O-ring chain

Suspension (Front) Fully adjustable 43 mm inverted fork
Suspension (Rear) Fully adjustable link Monocross
Brakes (Front) Dual 320 mm discs
Brakes (Rear) 267 mm disc
Tires (Front) 120/70ZR17
Tires (Rear) 190/50ZR17

Length 2,185 mm (86")
Width 800 mm (31.5")
Height 1,105 mm (43.5")
Wheelbase 1,525 mm (60")
Rake / Trail 25° / 103 mm (4.1")
Ground Clearance 145 mm (5.7")
Seat Height 825 mm (32.5")
Fuel Capacity 15 litres (3.3 imp. gallons)
Wet Weight 260 kg (572 lb.)
Colour(s) Metallic Black

GLOBAL SPECIFICATIONS:

EngineType Air-cooled, 4-stroke, V-twin, OHV, 4-valves per cylinder
Displacement 1,670 cc
Bore and Stroke 97.0 x 113.0 mm
Compression Ratio 8.4:1
Max.Power 66.3 kW (90HP) @ 4,750 rpm
Max.Torque 150.3 Nm (15,3 kq-m) @ 3,750
Lubrication Dry Sump
Fuel Supply Fuel injection
Clutch Type Wet multiple-disc
Ignition TCI
Starter System Electric
Transmission Constant mesh, 5-speed
Final transmission Chain
Primary reduction ratio 71/48 1.479
Secondary reduction ratio 39/17 2.294
Gear ratio: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 38/16 2.375, 30/19 1.579, 29/25 1.160, 24/25 0.960, 24/30 0.800

ChassisFrame Alu CF die-cast, double cradle
Front suspension Telescopic forks
Front wheel travel 120 mm
Rear suspension Swinging arm (Link suspension)
Rear wheel travel 117 mm
Front brake Dual discs, 310 mm
Rear brake Single disc, 267 mm
Front tyre 120/70 ZR17M/C (58W)
Rear tyre 190/50 ZR17M/C (73W)

* Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2009 Yamaha MT-01 - VOTE: In Progress

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, here we go! Our 31st Cool Wall bike for this year is now up!

Fire a broadside and have at 'er!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm not so sure it "started the torque sports class". In 98 the TL1000R produced 8 ft lbs less torque (98) but 45 more (135) HP.

I find it cool, but I also find it kind of a copy off of the Buells, sticking a cruiser motor into a sportbike frame and all that.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

Fail. Not sold in the USA. :mad:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:Fail. Not sold in the USA. :mad:
Ouch.

Yamaha did consider bringing it over to the USA, I don't think it made it over there due to the fact that the of slowing US economy in 2008... It's been on shaky ground in Canada as well, 2009 was the "last" year for it here but it may be back again for 2012 as Europe still has it.

You'll have to come to Canada to buy one, but what a bike to buy.

I think it was considered the new "V-Max" before the new VMAX arrived.

Mike

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#6 Unread post by mogster »

I'm not sure of the age of this particular MTO1,
cider%20bike.jpg
cider%20bike.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 17281 times
but it looked quite funky! :D
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#7 Unread post by mogster »

cider%20engine.jpg
cider%20engine.jpg (38.07 KiB) Viewed 17281 times
Check out the cider cans!
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

mogster wrote:
cider%20engine.jpg
Check out the cider cans!
That's funny!!

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Wrider wrote: but I also find it kind of a copy off of the Buells, sticking a cruiser motor into a sportbike frame and all that.
It looks more like a cruiser motor in a cruiser frame..... :laughing:

The motor is one of the best looking cruiser engines I've seen. It's sort of meh overall but I'll edge out a cool rating.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

HYPERR wrote: It's sort of meh overall but I'll edge out a cool rating.
For once Hyperr and I are in agreement........hide your wimmen folk and lock up your liquor, coz that has to be sure sign of the pending appocolypse.
Always ask why.