2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS - VOTED: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS is...

You may select 1 option

34%
42%
16%
8%

Total votes: 50

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS - VOTED: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 0GTABS.htm

2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS

VERSATILE AND MULTIFORM, THE APRILIA MANA 850 GT IS THE MOST COMPLETE
MOTORCYCLE ON THE MARKET.INTELLIGENT, INNOVATIVE, COMFORTABLE WITH A UNIQUE ON-THE-ROAD FEEL THANKS TO ITS SPORTGEAR TRANSMISSION, IT OFFERS ALL THE ADVANTAGES OF THE MANA WITH AN EXTENDED RANGE OF USE.

APRILIA MANA GT 850

A completely new motorcycl ing concept, the result of technological expertise, the courage to
believe in innovation and be daring which is Aprilia's hallmark together with attention paid to motorcyclists' needs and a tendency to look to the future: Mana 850 is a complete motorcycle, the
new frontier, the missing link in an evolution that makes the world of motorcycling and its emotions
accessible to all types of user.

Sequential/automatic transmission, radial brake calipers, helmet compartment, upside-down forks,
Aprilia Mana combines the potential of the motorbike with an unmatched functional nature and flexibility of use. A unique bike in the motorcycling world with a potentially endless number of
variations: this is the Aprilia Mana GT 850, the version that extends the proverbial versatility of the
850 cc produced in Noale even further.

Mana GT 850 is Aprilia's response to a constantly evolving market which is increasingly aware of mobility needs, impatient to try out vehicles that satisfy in daily use as well as on long trips.

The Mana GT version is designed to do just that: an elegant half-fairing perfectly integrated in the lines of the bike protects both rider and passenger on long journeys as well as in daily commuting making the bike ideal for touring. The adjustable windshield means that the level of protection can be adjusted to suit your own needs with a unique level of customisation.

2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS Features

Here are some of the Aprilia Mana GT 850's special features:
- Half-fairing with adjustable windshield;
- Sportgear transmission: electronically controlled sequential gearshift with two shift
modes: seven speed manual or Autodrive with three different mappings:
Sport/Touring/Rain;
- Helmet compartment with non-scratch lining for a full-face helmet, with mobile phone
holder, toolkit/glove-box and 12V-power socket;
- New latest generation 2-channel Continental ABS system as standard
- Lateral shock absorber easily adjustable with the hand grip in preload and extension;
- 90° V engine with four valves per cylinder, Euro 3 homologated;
- Brakes with radial calipers;
- 43- mm upside down fork;
- Steel trellis frame with single piece aluminium swingarm;
- Under-seat fuel tank.

With these characteristics, the Mana 850 GT is the most functional and complete bike on the
market.

INNOVATIVE MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION

The half-fairing makes the GT version even more unique and lets you get the very best out of the V2 850-engine performance with Sportgear transmission. A two-cylinder engine that with its 76 HP and exceptionally flat torque curve gives excellent performance already at low revs, in acceleration, pick-up and at speed, and is the perfect match for the touring soul of the Mana 850 GT and the motorcyclist's need for responsiveness.

Intelligent transmission

The primary drive is the focal point of the entire Mana range. The Sportgear transmission offers the
rider a choice of different driving modes:

- Sequential mode: The rider decides when to change gear by using the conventional control on the pedal or by pressing a switch on the handlebars as desired. An electronically-controlled servo mechanism acts on the main pulley which changes the gearshift mode with seven gear ratios amazingly quickly. Only during deceleration, if the rider does not manually change gear, the engine automatically changes down gear using the Semi-Sequential function and preventing the minimum RPM threshold from going below the set limit. Another valuable aid to safe riding.

- Fully automatic mode (Autodrive): the sophisticated electronics control everything and the CVT transmission keeps the engine running at maximum torque speed for optimum pick-up and acceleration. The rider can choose from three different mappings:

1. Touring: for those who want a softer power delivery and minimum fuel consumption;

2. Sport: for maximum performance and quick acceleration;

3. Rain: on wet or slippery roads in maximum safety;
Semi-Autodrive mode only allows the rider to change down gear. This is useful for overtaking at maximum torque revs or when riding down a hill when engine braking is required.

You can switch from Autodrive to Sequential mode and vice versa at any time and in any riding conditions. The handlebar gearshift control can be disabled from the dashboard.

With this technical solution, the Mana GT 850 adapts perfectly to any type of road and offers
relaxed cruising or exhilarating sports riding depending on the rider's needs or wishes.

ELEGANT DESIGN AND INGENIOUS SOLUTIONS

Mana GT 850 uses the same technical base as the Mana and shares the same exclusive and unmistakable Italian design. The original fairing with adjustable windshield that surrounds the
characteristic round headlamp, a distinctive feature of the Mana range, is practical and elegant.

The 16-litre tank is located under the saddle in a lower position to distribute weight more evenly
and lower the bike’s centre of gravity making it incredibly light and easy to ride. Where the tank
would normally be is occupied instead by an illuminated storage compartment lined with non-slip, non-scratch material and big enough to hold a full-face helmet as well as a mobilephone holder and a 12V-power socket. All this offers storage capacity which is virtually unheard of in the world of motorcycling.

Like its Naked sister bike, the compartment is opened electrically by a switch on the handlebar. Opening is controlled by a hydropneumatic damper that is designed to prevent accidental opening while the bike is in motion. A manually operated lever under the passenger seat is provided to release the compartment lid in the event of a flat battery.

SPECIAL CHASSIS

The refined chassis on the Aprilia Mana GT 850 guarantees relaxed, safe handling on all road surfaces. The robust steel tube trellis frame has a single piece aluminium swingarm that directly controls a laterally-offset shock absorber that frees precious space for the exhaust pipe in the delicate area behind the engine which makes the motorcycle very compact and manageable when changing direction both in town traffic and when out riding in the hills during the weekend.

On the Mana GT 850 the spring preload and damper rebound can be adjusted with a knob and has been moved to the outside. It can be easily accessed for quick and precise adjustments to adapt to your own particular riding needs and bike load (passenger, luggage, etc.).

The 43-mm upside down fork slides easily and has an optimised set-up that suits the new weight distribution and the touring nature of this bike.Its 120-mm front wheel travel allows you to effortlessly tackle all sorts of road surface and offers the right support even under sport riding conditions.

SAFETY FIRST

The Mana GT 850 is the most versatile motorcycle on the market with the most complete range of
technical equipment that focuses on the concept of safety. The only one in its category, the efficient braking system, which has a front system with 320 mm discs and radial calipers, combined with a latest generation two-channel Continental ABS system that increases active and passive riding safety even when braking on difficult road surfaces avoiding locking up the brakes as well as improving braking performance. In fact, on the Mana 850 GT ABS all riders can fully use the bike’s generous braking power in perfect safety on any road surface.

Add to this the total concentration on riding guaranteed by the Autodrive gearshift mode even in busy city traffic. Plus traffic light burning acceleration for an agile, responsive and quick motorcycle that pulls you away from any emergency situation as well as Rain mapping to help when riding on road surfaces with reduced grip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS - Specifications
American MSRP: $10,999 USD
Canadian MSRP: $12,295 CDN

Engine type Aprilia longitudinal 90‹ V-twin engine, 4 stroke, liquid cooled, single overhead cam with chain drive, four valves per cylinder
Fuel Unleaded fuel
Bore and stroke 88 x 69 mm
Total engine capacity 839.3 cc
Compression ratio 10:1
Maximum power at crankshaft 56 kW (76.1 cv) at 8,000 rpm
Maximum torque at crankshaft 7.45 kgm (73 Nm) at 5,000 rpm
Induction and fuel system Integrated electronic engine management system.
Weber Marelli electronic injection with 38-mm throttle body
Ignition Digital electronic, with two spark plugs per cylinder, integrated with fuel injection system
Starter Electric
Exhaust system 2 into 1 exhaust system in 100% stainless steel with three-way catalytic converter
and lambda probe
Alternator 450 W at 6,000 rpm
Lubrication Dry sump system with separate oil tank
Transmission Sequential with manual or automatic mode selectable by the user.
7 ratios in manual mode.
3 mappings (Touring . Sport - Rain) in Autodrive mode.
Gear change by pedal or handlebar control.
The user can switch from automatic to sequential mode and vice versa at any time
Clutch Automatic
Primary drive Belt
Secondary drive Chain
Chassis High-strength steel trellis
Front suspension Upside-down fork, . 43 mm stanchions. Wheel travel 120 mm
Rear suspension Single- piece aluminium alloy swingarm
Hydraulic shock absorber with adjustable spring preload and rebound damping.
Wheel travel 125 mm
Brakes Front: dual . 320 mm diam. stainless steel floating discs. Radial calipers with four pistons.
Rear: . 260 mm stainless steel disc. Single piston caliper.
2-channel Continental ABS system
Rims Aluminium alloy
Front: 3.50 X 17" Rear: 6.00 x 17"
Tyres Radials tubeless;
front: 120/70 ZR 17
rear: 180/55 ZR 17
Dimensions Max. length 2,080 mm
Max. width 800 mm (at handlebar)
Max. height 1,270 mm (1,320 mm at rear-view mirrors)
Saddle height 800 mm
Wheelbase 1,463 mm
Trail 101 mm
Steering angle 24‹
Tank 16 litres
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Here we go, not only our first Aprilia motorcycle model, but also our first 850cc V-Twin bike and our second Sequential/automatic transmission two wheel motorcycle as well!

Have fun and enjoy talking about this one.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Great pick, I hope this is another love it or hate it bike. Although, wasn't the DN-01 the first auto tranny bike on the Cool Wall?
Last edited by Grey Thumper on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:Great pic, I hope this is another love it or hate it bike. Although, wasn't the DN-01 the first auto tranny bike on the Cool Wall?
Yes indeed, I forgot about the DN-01. :doh: also I think you are right, this will be a love it or hate it bike due to it's automatic transmission... does it take away from the experience or add to it? Is a 850cc automatic the same "power band" as a 850cc manual?

Ooooo...the people want to know. :D

Mike

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by TechTMW »

I like the auto trans. It may encourage more people to ride, but I think that it will be a "meh..." kind of a thing for most of the biker crowd. But it may encourage some of the scooter riders out there, and I've ridden automatic scooters and they are fun in their own way!! Hopefully the electronics will be good and there won't be any kind of problems (no reason to think that there would be, but you never know!) Also, We can never have enough naked bikes, especially naked vtwins so for that reason I give it a cool :)
I think the styling is spot-on as well, except the muffler is a bit of an eyesore - I think it would look better with a Titanium shorty on it :D
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

Mfugly beyond belief. And not charismatic ugly like the BMW R-GS series, but in a boring bland way. Italian bikes especially ones of highly questionable quality like Aprilia need to be pretty to make up for its other shortcomings.

Epic Fail :banging:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Discounting the tranny for the moment, I really like this style of bike; essentially naked, but with a small windshield attached to the frame, not the fork or handlebars (ie, FZ6, Versys, Bandit, Wee-Strom, etc.). I think they're incredibly practical and versatile.

I don't find an auto tranny all that useful, but since it'll give more people more options and possibly bring more people into the motorcycling fold, I'm all for it. The Mana has other features I find more interesting; hard panniers, helmet storage in the tank, a charging outlet, variable shift modes, etc. Props to Aprilia for pushing things and trying something different. I think the Mana should at least get a cool vote.

That said, IMHO, the Shiver GT looks a lot better, and I would've given that an awesome vote.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I had this sent to me about it:

"I had the 1st one to come to Canada Very expensive bike to run .There are maintance issues that have to be done appr. every 12000 & 20000 miles... at 70years old I went for the automatic because I hadn't ridden a bike since 1955.It is a great bike and I like it a lot, has a lot of power no problem riding at 160k"

So it does appear me to that TechTMW and Grey Thumper have it right, the Mana 850 is attracting returning riders to it due to it's auto transmission (and looks/style/fit).

Mike

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#9 Unread post by Thumper »

I wouldn't buy one, but I'd be quite happy if one suddenly showed up in my garage with my name on the title...

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

From the right side, its a pretty nice looking bike, but from the left it is one ugly am-fm. Plus I don't like the placement of the rear shock, looks like it could pinch your left leg if you are not careful. The exhaust is an exercise in excess ugliness. But what I don't like is all the wizzbang golly geewilikers electronic doohickys, such as the tranmission. Bike should stay with the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid. Once you start cramming all manner of electronic wizardery into a bike, you take away from the simplistic pleasure that is riding, plus you have more things to go tiits up on you, leaving you stranded on the road side and having no clue how to get going again. I say save all those electronic goodies for the cagers, they are generally so simple minded that they need all the help they can get, bikers don't need it. Well, I will allow for ABS braking and possibly a small measure of traction control, but that's about it.
Always ask why.