2012 Moto Guzzi California 90 - VOTED: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Moto Guzzi California 90 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Moto Guzzi California 90 - VOTED: COOL

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Moto Guzzi California 90

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rnia90.htm

2012 Moto Guzzi California 90

The career of the glorious California 1100 culminates with a prestigious commemorative version for the 90th anniversary of Moto Guzzi. Built as a limited edition, the California 90 boasts the most luxurious accessories every realised on this glorious model.

After a long and glorious career the California 1100 dedicates a final, precious version to its many fans which celebrates two important events: the 90 year anniversary of Moto Guzzi and the 40 year anniversary of the California model. Introduced in 1971, the first V7 California was built based on the technical specs of the V7 Special, with the difference of a saddle which was as comfortable as an armchair to allow the rider to enjoy the scenery protected from the wind, protected behind the large windshield which, like the saddlebags, was standard equipment. This was the recipe for a successful bike, loved both in Europe and overseas, where the services of the V7 California were enlisted by the L.A.P.D. (Los Angeles Police Department) and later in other American states, besides becoming the official mount back home for the Cuirassier in the service of the President of the Italian Republic.

This legendary Italian bike has evolved continuously, always respecting the original philosophy, in numerous and esteemed versions developed on subsequent increases of engine capacity, going from 750 to 850 with the T model (1973) and then the T3 (1975), famous for its renowned "integral braking".

The 1000 engine size (948cc) was reached in 1981 with the new "square head" engine on the California I, while the public would have to wait until 1994 for the current 1100 engine size version (1064 cc), when the California 1100i made its debut, a model which, decked out in numerous accessories, accompanies us to the present, thus becoming the most successful Moto Guzzi California of the more than 50,000 manufactured on the Mandello del Lario assembly line.

Made with the care and attention of an artisan, the new Moto Guzzi California 90 introduces a brand new, two-coloured chromium plated concept called "Anniversario" which matches the metallic "California" orange colour and the "Diamante" white. The first stretches across the lower part of the California 90, while the white dominates the upper part represented by the top of the tank, the front mudguard and the saddlebags which are elegantly connected by a black line. A distinctive element of this new livery is certainly the logo on the tank, which reproduces the writing used by Moto Guzzi in the early 1930s, the years characterised by the legendary Omobono Tenni. In addition to this, the saddle is hand made from cowhide and on the steering yoke, right in front of the rider, there is an identification plate which certifies the numbered production of this final edition of the California 1100.

The beating heart of the California 90 is the standard two cylinder, big block engine, the latest evolution of an engine which was introduced in 1994 and became famous for its tremendous torque and proverbial reliability. With a bore and stroke of 92 and 80 mm respectively, the 1064 cc unit features aluminium alloy cylinders and pistons with a special wear-resistant graphite coating. Fuelled by the Weber Marelli IAW electronic injection system with 40 mm diameter throttle bodies, it boasts low emissions and a weighty thrust even at low RPMs which stems from a maximum torque output of 94 Nm at just 5,000 RPMs, and further capacity to stretch out to 6,400 RPMs where it puts out its maximum power of 74 HP.

Just like the engine, the chassis aspects of the Moto Guzzi California 90 also share the same characteristics as the Vintage version.

The frame is a faultless modular double cradle with a steering radius of 29° which ensures stability and precision in turns. Comfort is guaranteed by quality suspension components. At the front is a Marzocchi fork with 45 mm stanchions and 140 mm wheel travel while at the rear there is a swingarm linked to two shock absorbers, featuring adjustable spring preload and offering 104 mm of wheel travel. The braking system boasts the best components available on the market: it consists of 320 mm dual front floating disc operated by two precious Brembo callipers with 4 pistons and a 282 mm rear disc with Brembo two-piston callipers. It is also characterised by the famous Moto Guzzi integral braking. Other standout features are the spoked wheels, with 18 inches at the front and 17 at the rear to cater for high profile tyres, providing outstanding agility and superlative feel.

2012 Moto Guzzi California 90 Model Highlights

The "Anniversario" graphic has the privilege of enhancing the beautiful spoked wheels, the steel mudguards and the supplementary fog lights, elements which were inherited from the Vintage version along with the windshield with its stainless steel support and the typical cow-horn handlebar, besides the characteristic hard saddlebags with velvet lined interior and the solid, chromium plated luggage carrier.

2012 Moto Guzzi California 90 - International Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: TBA

90° V-shaped twin cylinder, four-stroke, air cooled engine
Engine capacity 1,064 cc
MAX Power 54 kW (73.4 hp) at 6,400 rpm
MAX Torque 94 Nm at 5,000 rpm
Exhaust system in stainless steel, 2 pipes connected to 1 expansion chamber, connected to two chromium plated steel silencers; 3-way catalytic converter and oxygen sensor.
5 speed transmission, permanently meshed gears with built in flexible coupling
Cardan shaft final drive, ratio 8/33 = 1:4,125
Front suspension Marzocchi hydraulic telescopic fork, Ø 45 mm, adjustable separately
Rear suspension swingarm, 2 hydraulic shock absorbers, adjustable hydraulic response
Front brake dual 320 mm stainless steel floating discs and Brembo callipers with 4 differently sized pistons
Rear brake 282 mm stainless steel fixed disc, Brembo calliper with 2 parallel pistons. Combined Moto Guzzi braking system.
Tyres 110/90 VB 18" (front) - 140/70 VB 17" (rear)
Max. Length 2.380 mm
Max width 815 mm
Height 1,150 mm
Saddle height 780 mm
Dry weight 251 Kg
Tank capacity 19 litres (including 4 litre reserve)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2012 Moto Guzzi California 90 - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is such an interesting bike to discuss this week. It's the new 90th Anniversary version (thus the "90").... has it aged well, does it appeal? What do you think about the graphics?

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

I don't know if it is the Orange/White/Brown colour scheme, the oversized fuel tank, or just the overall styling...but to me they are trying very hard, but it looks awkward??

I voted: fail

It's just not for me...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

I went with cool coz there is no option between uncool and cool....to me it a meh bike, yet another cruiser in already flooded market. The engine is basically what swung my vote over to the cool side, just coz its different from all the other Harley wannabe bikes. Mind you, only 74 BHP from an 1100 sounds a bit anemic for an engine of that size in this day and age.
Always ask why.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

It's a damned shame what a bad paint job can do to a nice motorcycle. Here it is in vintage form:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

I actually like the orange creamsicle color scheme. Not sure of the big cartoonish Guzzi on he gas tank tho..... :boat:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

High_Side wrote:It's a damned shame what a bad paint job can do to a nice motorcycle.
+1

Uncool. It's pretty hard for me not to like any Guzzi, but I guess there has to be an exception. Orange and white with that weird logo on the side? Looks like it's a promo vehicle for some retro soda brand.

But in black with white pinstripes? Classically awesome.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

Speaking of doing up Guzzis right: The 2007 Bellagio may have been the one cruiser that would have swayed me away from a sport-bike. I think that they nailed the look with this one. Too bad there were never any imported to Canada....

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

Darn it, I'm really undecided on this one. Not fond of the color scheme, low hp output, flimsy looking lowers, all adds up to a near fail in my books. Like ceemes, the engine design might be it's redeeming factor in my eyes, still I think the best I can do is uncool...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Uncool.

I really like it's history, the uniqueness and the luxury idea behind the California, when you are riding it I bet there isn't another bike that feels quite like it. I also like the orange/white color combination... but not in the paint scheme Moto Guzzi has chosen for this ride... augh. But it's so classic it should be cool my brain says, but my heart says... oh that paint job...and the "Guzzi" logo (to me) looks like "GURZI" in that font...

"the 90 year anniversary of Moto Guzzi and the 40 year anniversary of the California model." Congratuations Moto Guzzi, I wish you many, many more years ahead... keep turning out these unique bikes!

BTW - High_Side, that 2007 Bellagio looks the part doesn't it. :D

Mike