2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition - VOTED: AWESOME

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition - VOTED: AWESOME

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... dition.htm

2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition Review

Dark and interesting, the W800 Special Edition mixes matt and gloss black surfaces with gold anodised style rims, detail features and subtle highlights into an intoxicating cocktail.

Back to the future, the new W800 Special Edition delivers a classic blend of retro style with up the minute technology. Drawing fans of all ages, the quality and W heritage of the air-cooled parallel twin shine through.

Classic Beauty + Vintage Ride Feel + Historic Roots

The W800 Special Edition is the result of a thorough pursuit of the beauty and ride feel posessed by vintage notorcycles.

It offers a rare beauty care of components meticulously crafted down to the smallest detail, as well as a feeling of authentic quality that can only come from using metal parts. The throb of the air-cooled Vertical Twin engine and the distinct handling character that comes with large-diameter wheels recalls the ride feel of machines from an older generation, gone but not forgotten.

The W800 Special Edition, in both looks and feel, pays homage to Kawasaki's legendary W1, the model that started a brand that spans 45 years.

Classic Beauty

Beautiful Appearance Care of Meticulously Sculpted Forms-Visual impact from air-cooled Vertical Twin engine with iconic bevel-gear- driven-cam- Classic image from well-balanced chassis with large-diameter wheels- Meticulous attention to detail- Simple yet elegant muffler design

Metal Parts

Add Radiance and Authentic Quality- Metal parts used in favour of plastic throughout- Deep chrome and buffed engine covers add to high-quality finish- Even small parts are formed of blacked-out aluminium- Corrosion-resistant parts ensure lasting beauty.

Vintage Ride Feel

Vertical Twin Engine Rich in Character- Loads of feel-good pulse from an engine displacing 773 cm3 - Unique pulse care of a 360° crankshaft- Maximum torque at 2,500 rpm- Strong low-mid range torque enhances unhurried pleasure of a Vintage Ride- Heavy flywheel contributes to the strong torque feeling in the low-mid range- Now with fuel injection.

2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition Features and Benefits
All the great features of the W800 plus:

Wheel rims - Gold style anodising, just one subtle way the W800 Special Edition stands apart from the crowd

Black engine parts - Contrast and compare. The W800 Special Edition shines thanks to a black engine and clever highlights

Matt black exhaust - Talk softly, but speak strong. Cool matt black exhausts sound good and add subtle streetwise character.

Emblem on tank - The look of love. Every time you look down you can see the unique Kawasaki Special Edition logo

Vertical Twin Rich in Character

The W800 Special Edition produces loads of feel-good pulse from the Vertical Twin engine displacing 773cm3. The strong low-mid range torgue enhances the unhurried pleasure of the vintage ride.

Electronic Fuel Injection

The W800 Special Edition features a fuel injection system that does not take away from the vintage look of the motorcycle.

Historic Roots

The W800 Special Edition is the latest model in a brand that spans 45 years with Kawasaki's original W1 debuting in 1966. It was the largest displacement Japanese model of its time.

Metal...Not Plastic!

Metal parts are used in favour of plastic throughout the W800 Special Edition. Corrosion-resistant parts have also been used to ensure lasting beauty.

Large Diameter Wheels

The 19" front and 18" rear wheels add to the classic appearance of the W800 Special Edition. The 19" front provides that classic handling feel with a fine balance of relaxed, light turning and straight line stability.

Seat

Long, comfortable seat with thick, ribbed padding has plenty of room for rider and passenger. Urethane at the front of the seat is shaped to facilitate the reach to the ground. Piping around the edge of the seat follows the line between the rider and passenger's legs to ensure it does not cut into the rider's thighs when at a halt.

Details

As much as possible, plastic was eschewed in favour of metal. The result is a feeling of authentic quality that can only be obtained from the solid feel of metal parts.

"W" styling

Voluptuous fuel tank finished in high-quality paint contributes to the W800 Special Edition's aura of functional elegance.
Newly designed tank emblems, finished in chrome, contribute to the high quality appearance.

Adjustable levers

5-way adjustable clutch lever and 4-way adjustable brake lever enable riders to fine-tune lever span.

Front brake

Single 300 mm front disc brake offers sure stopping power.

Large headlamp

Large headlamp is offset wonderfully by the speedometer and tachometer and simple console.

Elegant muffler design

Simple, elegant muffler design comprises smooth curves and long, straight lines.
Peashooter-style silencers with slim chambers and long tailpipes add a vintage touch.

Instrumentation

Traditional instrumentation includes individual speedometer and tachometer with classic display. A multi-function LCD screen incorporates an odometer, tripmeter, and clock. A full range of indicator lamps includes an FI warning lamp, dual turn signal indicators, low fuel level indicator, high beam indicator, neutral indicator, and oil pressure warning lamp.

Classic-styled Engine

"Building a beautiful engine" was a key concept when designing the air-cooled Vertical Twin. The classic-styled engine is lightweight, simple and a joy to behold. Iconic bevel-gear-driven cam adds beauty to the cylinder head while contributing to the engine's classical appearance.

Rear shock absorbers

Dual rear shock absorbers, adjustable for spring preload, offer a smooth ride and clean look.

Traditionally styled front fork

Traditionally styled front fork uses rubber gaitors to protect the fork tubes and ensure long fork seal life. Outer tubes have a buffed finish, which contributes to the light looking front end.

----------------

2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition - UK/European Specifications/Technical Details

Engine

Fuel system
Fuel injection:?34 mm x 2 with sub-throttles

Ignition
Digital

Starting
Electric

Lubrication
Forced lubrication, wet sump

Engine type
Air-cooled, 4-stroke Vertical Twin

Displacement
773 cm³

Bore x stroke
77.0 x 83.0 mm

Compression ratio
8.4:1

Valve/Induction system
SOHC, 8 valves
Transmission

Clutch
Wet multi-disc, manual

Primary reduction ratio
2.095 (88/42)

Gear ratios: 1st
2.353 (40/17)

Gear ratios: 2nd
1.590 (35/22)

Gear ratios: 3rd
1.240 (31/25)

Gear ratios: 4th
1.000 (28/28)

Gear ratios: 5th
0.851 (23/27)

Final reduction ratio
2.467 (37/15)

Transmission
5-speed, return

Final Drive
Chain
Frame

Frame type
Double-cradle, high-tensile steel

Rake/Trail
27° / 108 mm

Wheel travel, front
130 mm

Wheel travel, rear
105 mm

Tyre, front
100/90-19M/C 57H

Tyre, rear
130/80-18M/C 66H

Steering angle, left / right
37° / 37°
Suspension

Suspension, front
39 mm telescopic fork

Suspension, rear
Twin shocks
Type: Twin shocks
Spring preload: 5-way
Brakes

Brakes, front
Type: Single 300 mm disc
Caliper: Twin-piston

Brakes, rear
Type: Drum, 160 mm
Dimensions

Dimensions (L x W x H)
2,180 x 790 x 1,075 mm

Ground Clearance
125 mm

Wheelbase
1,465 mm

Seat height
790 mm

Fuel capacity
14 litres

Curb Mass
216 kg
Performance

Maximum power
35 KW (48 PS) / 6,500 rpm

Maximum torque
60 Nm (6.1 kgf-m) / 2,500 rpm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2012 Kawasaki W800 Special Edition - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

In case you are thinking... "Man, I'd like one of those!", it's not available in North America as of yet... but if the response is positive here and Kawasaki does read this forum, then maybe...
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

I love this bike, but hate this colour - therefore I can only give the "special edition" a cool rating...

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#4 Unread post by rayian »

I guess I'm a retro kind of guy cause for me this bike is freakin awesome all the way.

By the way, the link at the top of the page is for the wrong bike.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

It's retro, and I like the colour scheme, plus there is something about those old parallel twins with peashooter silencers...it just screams awesome to me....I'd buy one in a heart beat...if I had the pennies and it was available here.
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

The old W650 that was only sold here for one year (2001) was cool. I guess this bike would be pretty cool if it was for sale here..... :humm:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#7 Unread post by ZRex »

Although I can't buy one, I still have to vote Awesome, I just love the looks of it. I do wish it had the (backup) kick starter like the W650 had, I would probably not use it much but, there is just something cool about kicking an engine to life (I grew up on dirtbikes).

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

rayian wrote:I guess I'm a retro kind of guy cause for me this bike is freakin awesome all the way.

By the way, the link at the top of the page is for the wrong bike.
Doh! Fixed - thanks for the tip.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

I too love the retro styling and the colour scheme. I voted awesome and would love to have one of these for my daily commute...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Effin' awesome.