2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - VOTED: Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - VOTED: Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nigale.htm

NOTE: There are 3 different versions of the Panigale. This one below is the BASE MODEL. See the other 2 here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ducati.htm

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Supreme performance, superlative technology, magnetic personality, enthralling design: on track or on road, there’s nothing to beat the 1199 Panigale.

This model is equipped with Marzocchi’s new 50mm lightweight aluminium front forks and Sachs rear suspension unit.

This version is also equipped with DTC, DQS, EBC and Power Mode combined into the Ducati Riding Modes.

The 1199 Panigale is available in standard configuration with optional ABS*.

The most extreme benchmark

Our Designers and Engineers were given a “blank canvas” to reach the apparently impossible 1199 Panigale targets of 10kg less weight and 25hp more power. Every detail, every dimension and every design decision has been driven entirely by a zero-compromise brief to create the highest performance Ducati Superbike of all time.

This new model breaks with our Superbike tradition by adding a name to its 1199cc engine capacity, making a significant association to our historic roots in the Borgo Panigale area of Bologna. In an Italian territory known as “Motor Valley” and where high performance and racing runs through the veins of its passionate people, we now underline our pride in being world ambassadors for the “Made in Italy” title and immortalize our birthplace in the name of the new Superbike.

Unmistakably Ducati

Every last detail of the 1199 Panigale pays tribute to our rich heritage of racing: each component is not only functionally efficient, but beautifully engineered into pieces of automotive art.

The fairings sweep back towards the rear of the bike, emphasizing the pulled-in effect, so much that the fairing surface had to be cut to house the engine covers and exhaust pipe.

Another highly distinctive feature of this bike is the rear light mounted in the streamlined and pointed tail.

Everything about this bike communicates power, elegance and agility.

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Key Features and Benefits

Monocoque technology

The 1199 Panigale’s chassis represents a step forward in motorcycle design, merging multiple parts into one compact and lightweight component, while re-evaluating rider posture with a revised ergonomic triangle.

Using the Superquadro engine as a stressed member of the chassis, the short and strong aluminium monocoque is made in die-cast aluminium and is responsible for 5kg (11lb) of the overall weight saving of the new design.

The monocoque attaches to the cylinder heads of the new specially designed engine, protruding forward to house the steering head bearings and forming the airbox along the way, which is capped-off and sealed when the 1.9kg (4.2lb) lighter aluminium fuel tank is attached, again using one component to the fulfil the roles of two.

Weight distribution and ergonomics

This optimal configuration has been achieved by centralising the mass at the front.

While the cylinders remain true to Ducati’s signature 90° L-twin configuration, the new engine has rotated the top-end backwards around the crankshaft a further 6° to give more clearance on the front wheel and enable engineers to modify the front and rear weight bias. This also enables a front-end geometry of 25.5° of rake and 100mm (3.94in) of trail.

Attaching directly to the rear of the engine, the new fully die-cast aluminium, single-sided swingarm is 39mm longer than the 1198, contributing to the increased the wheelbase of 1,437mm (56.6in) and the optimal weight distribution of the 1199 Panigale.

With the exhaust system now relocated below the engine, the die-cast aluminium rear sub-frame is considerably lighter and also attaches directly to the Superquadro engine, while the super lightweight, magnesium front sub-frame attaches directly to the monocoque frame, providing secure support for the headlamp, instrumentation and fairing. This combination of weight saving and centralisation of mass around these high front and rear sub-frame areas substantially contributes to overall vehicle agility.

The new ergonomics parameters for seat position and handlebar are defined to offer a fatigue-free riding position which ensure a perfect integration between the rider and the bike.

Seat-to-handlebar dimension is shorter, 30mm (1.18in), and bar height is higher, 10mm (0.39in), and wider, 32mm (1.26in).

Innovative suspension

The electronic suspension adjustment can be made either by using the pre-set Riding Modes, or in independent mode, which allows riders to use their own personal and saveable settings.

The 1199 Panigale uses brand new, incredibly lightweight 50mm Marzocchi usd forks that feature hard-anodized aluminium sliders. This new fork, fully adjustable in spring pre-load and compression and rebound damping, represents a cutting-edge solution, saving a further 1kg (2.2lb).

The matte champagne coloured fork bodies house low-friction, hard-anodized black aluminium sliders and aluminium, cnc-machined fork bottoms with beautifully formed radial calliper mountings.

A fully adjustable Sachs rear suspension unit completes the package.

The triple-clamp fork centres are set to World Superbike-style widths enabling uncompromised flow for optimum brake cooling.

The rear suspension of the 1199 Panigale features a stylish and practical side-mounting, enabling increased space for the rear cylinder head, which has been rotated further backwards around the new engine. The unique positioning renders the unit totally accessible for spring pre-load and rider-height adjustment, and is designed to provide a fast and easy linkage adjustment by simply changing the pushrod fixing-point from “progressive rate” for road use with a passenger to “flat rate” for track use.

New generation brakes and ABS

The twin Monobloc M50 callipers each have four 30mm pistons that grip 330mm discs to achieve spectacular braking performance.

The 1199 Panigale introduces a very latest in sport-oriented ABS technology to enable full integration with the three-programmed Riding Modes.

Operating with the latest generation 9ME Bosch processor, the system enables full ABS on the front only, when in Race mode, allowing the rider initial braking drift on the rear during race track corner entry. The system also boasts a refined “rear lift-up” detection activated in Sport and enhanced in Wet Riding Modes.

Remaining almost undetectable at the lever, these advanced features enable shorter braking distances by optimising brake force distribution for superior vehicle stability.

The advanced ABS, which is optional on the 1199 Panigale and 1199 Panigale S and standard equipment on the 1199 Panigale S Tricolore, can also be deactivated via the instrumentation control panel.

New wheel and tyre designs

The 1199 Panigale rolls on brand new 10-spoke wheels in 3.5in front rim width and 6.00in rear. Enabling an even faster change of direction and enhanced acceleration and braking performances, the new black-finished wheels provide a 0.5kg (1.1lb) weight-saving over previous components.

All 1199 Panigale versions roll on Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres, at 120/70 ZR17 for the front, and 200/55 x ZR17 on the rear – the widest rear tyre ever fitted to a road-going Ducati Superbike.

Designed for precise line-holding and corner trajectory, the rear 200/55 x ZR17 effectively increases the contact patch area and speed of lean by combining the 200mm width with a higher profile.

The structures and compounds are derived directly from Pirelli’s experience in World Superbike competition. They present a complex carcass designed for stiffness under heavy braking and shoulder areas that maximise contact patch, further enhanced with a bi-compound tread laced with new polymers to generate rapid warm-up and constant grip.

LED lights

The horizontal twin headlamps have become more integrated with the frontal intake ducts and create a true “race face” for the new Superbike.

While the 1199 Panigale illuminates with LED positioning lights and main light bulbs, the 1199 Panigale S and Tricolore boast full LED positioning and lighting solutions, for the first time in the motorcycle world.

Twin rear lights are moulded perfectly around the recessed seat air ducts and illuminate with an attractive light-guide surround effect, enhanced with LED brake lights. Front LED indicators are integrated into the mirror bodies and rear indicators, which are also LED* (*Country specific), are styled with clear lenses.

Thin Film Transistor instrumentation (TFT)

Along the bottom of the screen from left to right, is the current status and/or setting of Riding Mode, ABS (if equipped), DTC, DQS and EBC and on the right of the screen an easy-to-read gear indicator.

In “Road” and “Wet” Riding Modes the vehicle speed takes precedence in the centre of the display with large numerals, while two framed “additional information” panels, situated below, present total mileage by default and engine coolant temperature .

In “Race” Riding Mode, the display automatically reconfigures, moving the lesser important vehicle speed to the lower left info frame and making way for the latest lap time to be displayed large in the centre of the screen.

The 1199 Panigale display is also equipped with a “dynamic” over-rev indicator: a strip of red lights rising on the right and left outer edges and across the top of the instrumentation illuminate incrementally upwards to warn of over-rev. When the 1199 Panigale is stationary, the instrumentation is also used as a user-friendly control panel to personalise ABS, EBC, DES, DTC, DQS, and RbW settings within each Riding Mode before saving.

Ducati Riding Modes

An electronic Ride-by-Wire (RbW) system administers different mappings (Power Mode) to regulate power delivery, while Ducati Electronic Suspension (DES), by Öhlins, instantly configures the suspension set-up with electronic adjustment. The Ducati Traction Control system (DTC) uses eight levels of system interaction to enhance control by reducing wheel-spin and the latest generation of ABS processor provides ideal anti-lock levels. EBC monitors crankshaft de-acceleration under heavy braking and administers RbW throttle opening to maintain optimum grip.

Race Riding Mode

The Race Riding Mode provides the track rider with an unrestricted 195hp with direct RbW throttle response and, on the ‘S’ version, an instant track-oriented suspension set-up. Race mode also reduces the DTC system intervention, provides a race-oriented EBC and front-only ABS with reduced anti-rear-lift-up and instantly reconfigures the instrumentation layout with a track-oriented display.

Sport Riding Mode

The Sport Riding Mode provides the road or track rider with 195hp, delivered with a “smooth” RbW throttle response and, on the ‘S’ version, a sport-oriented suspension set-up. Sport mode slightly increases the DTC system intervention, provides a sport-oriented both EBC and front and rear ABS with incresed anti-rear-lift-up.

Wet Riding Mode

The Wet Riding Mode provides the road or track rider with 120hp, delivered with a “smooth” RbW throttle response, increased DTC system intervention, environment-appropriate EBC, DQS off and fully enhanced ABS and, on the ‘S’ version, a suspension set-up optimised for low grip conditions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - North American Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: See Americian Dealer for pricing.
Canada MSRP Price: See Canadian Dealer for pricing.

Chassis
Frame Monocoque aluminum
Front suspension Marzocchi 50mm pressurized and fully adjustable usd fork with hard anodized aluminum lightweight slider
Front wheel 10-spoke light alloy 3.50" x 17"
Rear suspension Fully adjustable Sachs unit.
Adjustable linkage: Progressive/flat.
Aluminum single-sided swingarm.
Rear wheel 10 spoke light alloy 6.00" x 17"
Front brake 2 x 330mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo Monobloc M50 4-piston callipers
ABS optional +2.5kg (+5.5lb)
Rear brake 245mm disc, 2-piston calliper
Fuel tank capacity 17l (4.5 gallon US)
Dry weight 164kg (361.5lb)
*Wet weight 188kg (414.5lb)
Engine
Type Superquadro: L-twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
Bore x Stroke 112 x 60.8mm
Power 195hp (143kw) @ 10,750rpm
Torque 98.1lb-ft (132Nm) @ 9.000rpm
Exhaust 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes. Twin stainless steel mufflers with alumimum outer sleeves

Transmission
Clutch Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - VOTE NOW!

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

"Supreme performance, superlative technology, magnetic personality, enthralling design: on track or on road, there’s nothing to beat the 1199 Panigale." - Ducati

Well, I'll hand it to Ducati for creating the most powerful V-Twin ever, but will "there’s nothing to beat the 1199 Panigale" hold up on the Cool Wall?

Let's find out!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

It's difficult to vote anything but awesome for a new Ducati Superbike but this one may be a wrong turn for Ducati. The Monocoque technology that replaces the trellis frame on this model has proven to be anything but successful in Moto-GP and it certainly misses one of the most distinct features of all Ducati superbikes for the past 25 years (the frame). So therefore I'll only give it a cool, as I think that as Ducati evolves more towards looking like a Japanese superbike it loses a lot of what made Ducks appealing in the first place....

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

I'm with High_Side on this one...they are turning into "Plastic Fantastic", which I'm sure is for aero reasons, but the appeal of Ducati isn't that they were the fastest bike, but they had an appeal through beauty of design...it's kind of lacking here...

Plus, I prefer the under tail exhaust look to the under slung...but I doubt I'll ever own any supersport bike, so it's not marketed toward me...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#5 Unread post by rayian »

The frame used in the MotoGP bike was made of carbon fibre so I think we'll have to wait for the next WSBK season to get a fair assessment of the aluminum version. I'll go for awesome.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

The first pic looks like there is a dent in the gas tank :?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Hmmm . . . a gorgeous bike, but by normal Ducati standards, it's disappointing. The trellis frame was so distinct and gave Duc superbikes lots of character, so it's too bad they gave it up for the Panigale. I understand why they gave up the undertail exhaust as well, but the underslung version looks a bit too Kawasaki ER-6 for me. I'm sure all these changes result in a bike that performs a hell of a lot better, but Ducati looks like it's going the way of Ferrari; in the quest for improvements in performance, they're giving up the design excellence which is traditionally associated with both companies.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:It's difficult to vote anything but awesome for a new Ducati Superbike but this one may be a wrong turn for Ducati. The Monocoque technology that replaces the trellis frame on this model has proven to be anything but successful in Moto-GP and it certainly misses one of the most distinct features of all Ducati superbikes for the past 25 years (the frame). So therefore I'll only give it a cool, as I think that as Ducati evolves more towards looking like a Japanese superbike it loses a lot of what made Ducks appealing in the first place....
No Ducati looked unique as the 999. Also the 999 didn't race under the benefit of affirmative action bullsh!t like the 1098/1198 and now the 1199. The 999 was the most original and the most awesome looking Duc superbike ever. The 916-998 series, the 1098-1198, and now the 1199 series were all highly influenced by japanese bike design but the 999 was all Ducati (Terblanche). Then again nothing wrong with going with what works. Just ask Casey Stoner. :laughing:

That being said, I want a Panigale and I voted awesome. :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#9 Unread post by ZRex »

It will be way out of my price range and even if I could buy it my wrist would hate me, but I would Love to own this bike, so I have to vote Awesome. I've allways loved Ducati superbikes, I also love the fact it is a V-twin, for the same reason I love the aprillia RSV4's V-four engine or a Triumph triple.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I voted cool

Ducati will always have a distinctive look, no matter what compromises they make. However, their last few iterations of superbikes have disappointed me. I can get significantly more bang for my buck out of a new R1, S1000RR or ZX10 and have a much more enjoyable experience. Their new bikes are starting to feel dead in their handling and don't give me the confidence I want to feel as a rider.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars