2012 Hyosung GT650 - Voted: Fail

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Hyosung GT650 is...

You may select 1 option

View results

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: This Week's Bike: 2012 Hyosung GT650 - Vote & Discuss

#11 Unread post by HYPERR »

I thought Hyosung changed their name in the US. Their main problem was despite being from South Korea which is far superior to China, because of the name ending in "ng", many Westerners thought it was another POS Chinese company. Anytime anyone mistakes you for China, that is a kiss of death for any company.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Seems to be an OK bike, and I tend to like middleweight standards. It just doesn't seem like I'd take a longing look back at it after a ride, y'know? Maybe Hyosung should take a cue from Korean car companies that hired pretty famous industrial designers; Hyundai hired Thomas Buerkle (ex BMW) and Kia hired Peter Schreyer (ex Audi) to be their design heads.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#13 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I surprisingly had to go with cool. We have a fleet of their 250 version for one of our training programs since they were all we could find at the end of 2008 due to high gas prices. While there are a few quality issues, the ride is smooth and the responses were crisp. When a student brought his 650 to the advanced class, I got to rail it around the parking lot and had a blast. Upgrade the tires from Shinko, add progressive springs and she's a decent scoot for the price. Great for a first bike if there's a dealer near you.

Also, I hear alot of SV650 clone comments regarding these bikes, but the motor is significantly different (in some cases admittedly stupid) and it looks just as much like a monster.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#14 Unread post by jstark47 »

HYPERR wrote:I thought Hyosung changed their name in the US.
Hyosung sells under their own name in the USA, but also provides their products to other companies for rebadging. I think Hyosung's current such arrangement is with ATK. Previously United Motors sold rebadged Hyosungs, but UM went belly up in 2010. IMO these arrangements weaken Hyosung's brand, and I'm puzzled Hyosung can't see that.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I decided to go with: FAIL

Years ago I really believed in the GT650 when it was introduced but since then Hyosung hasn't really done anything to make it better. It is really starting to feel more of a "Chinese knockoff" thanks to Hyosung taking the road of minor bodywork and instrument changes to copy near-exact the competition from Honda, Ducati and Suzuki. And one of the reasons might be slow sales (from a too small dealer network) reduces R&D. Usually I applaud companies having a motorcycle priced very aggressively (ie, the GT650 is $3000 below Suzuki's SV650!) but in this case Hyosung should re-invest into the GT650 line, charge another $1500 per bike and get a product out that's original and unique.

If you are in the market for a good all around, inexpensive bike, then this wouldn't be a bad choice at all. I'm just giving it a Fail mainly because of what Hyosung has done with the R&D of GT650 line up.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#16 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm gonna go with uncool. Hyosung makes the SV650 motor for Suzuki, and in this model squeezes another 10 HP out of it, but slightly less torque. That said, they copy everything Suzuki does/has done with this model, save for the frame, which they do a horrible job with IMO.
Also, if you ever see these up close, the body panels (the few there are) aren't matched up at all, and in some cases are varying shades of the general color.
I'm with Mike in that they ought to reinvest in their own company, build something of their own, make it decent, and go from there. I thought Hyosung might have had something going when they came out with this thing originally in 06 ( ? ), but it hasn't changed in fit, finish, tech, etc in 6 years now...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, we have a 3 way tie!

Awesome 0%
Cool 33%
Uncool 33%
Fail 33%

This is going to a very close finish for tomorrow morning to see where the 2012 Hyosung GT650 fits into the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#18 Unread post by dr_bar »

If there was an epic fail choice, I would have selected it... Poor copy at best...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Again, thanks to everyone who voted and put in their :2cents: for the 2012 Hyosung GT650 on our Cool Wall! Please see the current bike up to vote/discuss and remember you can always go back and vote on any you missed over the past weeks/months/years.

Awesome 0%
Cool 32%
Uncool 26%
Fail 42%

Quite an interesting vote. The 2012 Hyosung GT650 is our 1st Fail bike for 2012 but with 32% Cool it wouldn't take much for Hyosung to improve the model and take higher marks.

Mike