2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17: Voted: Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17 is...

You may select 1 option

53%
13%
4%
30%

Total votes: 107

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17: Voted: Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-VMAX.htm

2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17

The intelligent monster.

The ultimate power cruiser delivers unmatched performance and style.

Unlike any other motorcycle available today, the 2012 Yamaha VMAX is truly in a class of its own. The awesome acceleration and muscular beauty combines with sporty handling and Yamaha's latest electronic engine management technologies to offer an incredibly exhilarating riding experience.

The legend continues.

In '85 the original V-Max turned the motorcycle world on its ear. Our engineers took a big dose of the original "Mad Max" DNA then added a bunch of Yamaha's latest sport bike technologies like our chip controlled variable intake stacks, a high tech fuel injection system and our famous fly by wire throttle. The result is the next generation VMAX. The legendary sound, engine character and amazing acceleration are all part of the latest design but there is a twist. The VMAX offers truly sporty handling, thanks to its lightweight aluminium chassis and fully adjustable suspension. Scorched any pavement lately?

The ultimate muscle bike.

The 2012 Yamaha VMX17 is the ultimate marriage of brawn and brains, and is the ground breaking result of its evolutionary journey. The unique features of this iconic beast are richly blended with advanced sportbike technology and forward thinking style. It all ads up to a machine with immense performance and visual power. The 2012 Yamaha VMAX truly is in a class by itself.

2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17 Highlights and Key Features:

Fuel Consumption ± 11.4kpl, 32mpg(Imp)

1679cc, V-4 powerplant with YCC-I & YCC-T

Aluminium chassis with fully adjustable suspension

Key Features:

•The ultimate power cruiser delivers unmatched performance from its 65-degree, four-valve-sper-cylinder, 1679cc V4—plenty of eye-opening, controllable acceleration from a compact engine that looks as powerful as it is.

•Downdraft four-bore fuel injection with YCC-I® intake technology and YCC-T® fly-by-wire throttle provide awesome acceleration throughout the broad powerband.

•Lightweight aluminum chassis puts the engine low and forward for mass centralization, resulting in a machine designed to handle curves as well as straightaways.

•Borrowing liberally from advanced sportbike technology, VMAX features a slipper clutch, wave-style brake discs, ABS, and complete suspension adjustability front and rear.

•Functionality and forward-thinking style uniquely combine with features like oxidized-titanium-coated 52mm front fork tubes, magnesium engine side covers, fluorinated polyethylene fuel tank and the organic electroluminescence multifunction display.

New for 2012:

•A stylish new side cover finish matches the intake cover – adding to the menacing looks of the VMAX.

2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17 - USA Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP* $19,890 (Matte Black) Available from November 2011/CA model December 2011
Canada MSRP Price: $22,999 CDN

ENGINE
Type 102-cubic-inch (1679cc) liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder
Bore x Stroke 90.0mm x 66.0mm
Compression Ratio 11.3:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed, multiplate slipper clutch
Final Drive Shaft

CHASSIS
Suspension / Front 52mm telescopic cartridge fork w/oxidized titanium coating. Fully adjustable preload, compression and rebound; 4.7 in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock w/remote reservoir and remote adjustable for preload, compression and rebound
Brakes / Front Dual 320mm wave-type discs; radial mount 6-piston calipers, Brembo® radial pump master cylinder
Brakes / Rear 298mm wave-type disc, single-piston caliper and Brembo® master cylinder
Tires / Front Bridgestone® Radial 120/70-R18 59V
Tires / Rear Bridgestone® Radial 200/50-R18 76V

DIMENSIONS
Length 94.3 in
Width 32.3 in
Height 46.8 in
Seat Height 30.5 in
Wheelbase 66.9 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 31.0 in
Trail 5.8 in
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Fuel Economy** 27 mpg
Wet Weight*** 683 lb / 685 lb (CA model)

OTHER
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: This Week - 2012 Yamaha VMAX / VMX17: Vote and Discuss

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

I went with cool. The basic design is fairly dated, plus I don't like the look of the headlights. That being said, it is pretty much a unique bike in a class by itself, that alone makes it cool, as does the V-4 mill. Pity Honda gave up on the early V-4 Magma's and Sabre's, it would of been interesting to see where the competition between the V-Max and Mag/Sab could of lead.
Always ask why.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#3 Unread post by mogster »

ceemes wrote: I don't like the look of the headlights.
I agree with ceemes about the headlights but I would be prepared to overlook them if it was parked in our shed!

Has to be a big grunting AWESOME from me :thumbsup:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Well, those headlights do seem to be an issue, and I agree. I want that engine tucked into the frame of my bike... I hope that Yamaha comes to their senses and reworks the Venture with this motor. Makes no sense to build that engine for just one bike...

I voted Awesome...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

I vote cool. Put inverted forks on it instead of the biggest regular forks ever made for a production bike, and offer a few variations of it or at least put the motor in a few bikes.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#6 Unread post by pchast »

I'll give it a cool. The lights and design are a little weird.

Why do they rarely show a picture that you can evaluate
the rider's seat position by?
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

pchast wrote:I'll give it a cool. The lights and design are a little weird.

Why do they rarely show a picture that you can evaluate
the rider's seat position by?
Trust me when I say it is fairly comfortable. It's also the only stock bike that's ever left me shaking...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

My daughter thinks it's cool, and so do I...my buddy has the older version and it's a rocket...although there is a bike that is quite competitive to it...Ducati Diavel...not quite as much power, but it is lighter...it also has quirky styling...

I still like my bike...Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#9 Unread post by Markg1 »

I was wondering when the mighty Vmax would be on the "wall". I must say this the most amazing bike I have ever owned! It has incredible power...It is just flat out fast!!!! But the power is not what impressed me. Sure it has amazing horsepower and the torque is out of this world, but it is amazingly easy to maneuver at low speeds. When I first swung my leg over on this bike I was surprised how high the seat was placed. I'm 6 foot and I think somebody 5' 7 or shorter might have a little trouble with the bike. But once you start that V4 engine you'll notice how smooth it runs. Put it in first gear and pull out of your drive way, the first thing you'll notice is how easy it is ride a low speeds. Now it's time to get this animal on the highway. You pull out and you have to twist the throttle and run through a few gears and you fall in love. Smooth, quick, and very addicting! You take it through the back country roads with some twist and turns and you notice is how well it handles. Then you look down at your gas gauge and notice that this bike will pass anything but a gas station. So you pull up to a gas station and people start asking you about the bike. People will ask me if it is sports bike or a cruiser. I always say it is a muscle bike. But always compliments on the bike. I know they are not great sellers but I actually like that. That means very few on the road. I believe they only make 2500 per year...does anyone know? Well I guess you know my vote....AWESOME +
Attachments
vmaxforum.jpg
vmaxforum.jpg (120.04 KiB) Viewed 17115 times
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

It's a V-Max that can turn. Agreed on the lights, but if you can afford this one, you can afford to switch that out and add a few other customs. Awesome.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars