2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800: Voted Uncool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort is...

You may select 1 option

View results

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Re: This Week - 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800: Vote and Discus

#21 Unread post by sapaul »

Not to worry Ceemes

if we ever meet I will brake his face

BBBbaaawwwaaahhhh Sho, pedantic ne'

Never mind is still a lekker plak to hang out.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#22 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I had to vote: Uncool

Sorry guys, for me, it's kinda uncool, it's so large, wide, big, heavy that I have to ask myself, is it worth giving up the agile lightweight freedom a motorcycle offers and trade it for the ultimate in touring comfort? Sure, I can see the positive points about the Goldwing, but has Honda really over done it? Since the introduction of the super-scooters (like the Suzuki Burgman 650 or BMW C650/600 for example), I've heard market share is being taken away from the heavy touring class as riders are generally choosing lighter touring bikes.

There are lots of jokes about the Goldwing, but in the end, it's the ultimate touring machine, but it's a very single purpose built bike IMO.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

New Cool Wall bike today around noon.

Feel free to keep voting on this one till then. :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#24 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I voted Uncool.

I get that this bike is all about long distance comfort, and I'm sure it's awesome in that respect, but to me it's just a massive hunk of a machine that is not within my definition of what motorcycling is all about.
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

And now the results!

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 Audio Comfort is...

Awesome 30%
Cool 30%
Uncool 40%
Fail 0%

Yet, again, a very close vote spread between Awesome, Cool and Uncool. It sure appears that the Goldwing will offer up mixed comments to those who own, ride and see it. As the vote was so close this time (yet again) remember your vote really does make a difference and so does getting your friends to vote as well.

Next bike now up... and it's a 2013 one...

Mike

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

Re: 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800: Voted Uncool

#26 Unread post by BobK »

My missus would like that passenger seat. I've been thinking I might have to get one of these:

The Snoring Eagle pillion.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#27 Unread post by ceemes »

been thinking about the way votes are counted on this one....while more actual votes went uncool, the combined total vote between cool and awesome were higher...9 to 12....basically more people thought the big wing was in the cool range, split evenly between cool and awesome.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#28 Unread post by HYPERR »

ceemes wrote:been thinking about the way votes are counted on this one....while more actual votes went uncool, the combined total vote between cool and awesome were higher...9 to 12....basically more people thought the big wing was in the cool range, split evenly between cool and awesome.
+1

Fully agree. I said that from day one. It should be on a point system and the final verdict should be by average score.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

dablade
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2004 GL1800 ABS

#29 Unread post by dablade »

If you think the Goldwing is no fun to ride, either you haven't ridden one, or didn't twist the throttle hard enough. In spite of their size, they handle the twisties well. :goldwing: It is also real fun to meet Harley riders, then take them out for a ride. They are always blown away by the smooth ride and comfort.
The wing is staying. The ZX6R has been sold, and the FJR will be sold to finance some home improvement projects. :goldwing:

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#30 Unread post by High_Side »

dablade wrote:If you think the Goldwing is no fun to ride, either you haven't ridden one, or didn't twist the throttle hard enough. In spite of their size, they handle the twisties well. :goldwing: It is also real fun to meet Harley riders, then take them out for a ride. They are always blown away by the smooth ride and comfort.
The wing is staying. The ZX6R has been sold, and the FJR will be sold to finance some home improvement projects. :goldwing:
It's not my kind of bike but well put :righton: I've followed a well ridden wing through a mountain pass and with the right rider aboard they can really haul azz. Pick the bike that is right for you and it doesn't matter what others think - (even if 60% of the votes were cool and higher)