2012 Yamaha Raider SCL: Voted Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Yamaha Raider SCL is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Yamaha Raider SCL: Voted Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Yamaha Raider SCL

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... derSCL.htm

2012 Yamaha Raider SCL

Very limited edition Custom Raider S for ultimate culmination of style, power and performance..

A true productin custom unlike no other. Introducing the all-new 2012 Yamaha Raider SCL - a very special, very limited production Raider for those wanting a truly unique chopper-inspired machine. Only 500 will be built and will feature everything that makes the 2012 Yamaha Raider S one of the world's great performance cruisers and more.

2012 Yamaha Raider SCL Highlights and Key Features:

Key Features:

•The limited production Raider SCL is loaded with premium cruiser features. Crafted for riders who value exclusivity, only 500 of these exceptional machines will be built.

•Newly developed high-metallic Blazing Orange paint was created specifically for the Raider SCL. Coupled with a metal flake and shine made possible by a 6-layer painting process, its vibrancy is unlike any other color produced for a Star® Motorcycle. This bike is sure to stand out from the crowd.

•Stainless steel mesh throttle cables as well as clutch and brake lines give this bike a premium look.

•Custom 5-spoke chrome wheels co-developed by Star and Performance Machine, with matching chrome pulley and chrome belt guard, help elevate the Raider SCL to a true production custom.

•Great attention to detail was taken into consideration when designing the genuine leather two-tone seat with embossed SCL logo, and matching orange stitching – keeping the discerning cruiser customer in mind. Over time, the seat will develop a character of its own and will be unlike any other.

•An exclusive metal SCL badge with hologram is placed on top of the fuel tank as a constant reminder to its owner that only 500 of these unique machines exist.

New for 2012:

•The 2012 Raider SCL is a new model for 2012.

2012 Yamaha Raider SCL Features and Benefits

ENGINE

•113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled, OHV with 4 valves per cylinder, pushrod 48-degree V-twin pumps out max torque at just 2500 rpm and max power at 4500 rpm for powerful, relaxed cruising.

•Four pushrod-activated valves and two spark plugs per cylinder provide optimum combustion efficiency along with classically beautiful engine architecture.

•Ceramic-composite plated cylinders for superior heat dissipation with forged pistons cooled by oil jets. Provides outstanding reliability and longer engine life.

•9.48:1 compression ratio and aggressive cam timing increase power output across the board.

•Computer-controlled, twin-bore fuel injection monitors multiple engine parameters to calculate perfect mixture under all conditions; wide-angle 12-hole fuel injectors provide excellent atomization.

•A 3.5-liter airbox is hidden in the area below the fuel tank for great performance and clean styling.

•Two-into-one-into-two exhaust with Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP®) inside boosts torque in the 2500~3500-rpm range.

•Special custom-machining of the cooling fin edges gives a jewel-like appearance to the engine as light hits it from different angles.

DETAILS / FEATURES

•Left-thumb operated high-beam switch, and right-thumb activated accessory driving light switch for great visibility.

•Jewel-like fit and finish, and Star quality paint, chrome and attention to detail are evident all over the Raider.

•Cool, tank-mounted instrumentation complements the custom look, and contains analog speedometer and fuel gauge, along with twin digital tripmeters, odometer and self-diagnostics.

•Bright multireflector headlight, LED taillight, and amber turn signals behind clear lenses give a custom look.

•02 sensor and three-way catalyst reduce emissions.

•Raider SCL (Star Custom Line) comes equipped with billet wheels & pulley, custom leather seat, braided stainless steel throttle cables, clutch and brake hoses.

2012 Yamaha Raider SCL - USA Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP* $19,990 (Blazing Orange) Available from February 2012

ENGINE
Type 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder
Bore x Stroke 100.0 x 118.0mm
Compression Ratio 9.48:1
Fuel Delivery Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection; throttle position sensor
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Belt

CHASSIS
Frame Double cradle
Suspension / Front Telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear Swingarm; 3.5-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic disc, 310mm
Tires / Front 120/70-21
Tires / Rear 210/40-18
Wheels 5-spoke cast

DIMENSIONS
Length 101.2 in
Width 36.4 in
Height 45.9 in
Seat Height 27.4 in
Ground Clearance 5.8 in
Wheelbase 70.9 in
Fuel Capacity 4.2 gal
Fuel Economy** 42 mpg
Wet Weight*** 729.9 lb

OTHER
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... derSCL.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

Re: This Week - 2012 Yamaha Raider SCL: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

Fail. This is an obvious ripoff of a Harley Davidson Wide Glide, right down to the rear fender. I'm sure It's ok to ride and It's not a bad looking bike but because It's a clone it gets a fail.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

I have to vote AWESOME...a clone usually implies that is a lesser copy...the Harley has more cache as a premium brand, but doesn't perform as well and won't be as reliable...don't get me wrong, Harley makes nice bikes (some very nice!) but don't bash a bike for taking their design and improving it while at the same time providing it at a much lower price point...

I understand that you are a Harley owner and you bought into the brand, I get it...but I'm a Yamaha owner and I bought into reliability and power...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Voted uncool, just way too many of these cruiser look a likes out there.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

Not a bad looking bike as far as cruisers go....I would never buy one but to my eyes one of the best looking designs for this genre. Since there is no neutral rating, I guess I will give it a cool rating.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by HYPERR »

snakedoctEr726 wrote:Fail. This is an obvious ripoff of a Harley Davidson Wide Glide, right down to the rear fender. I'm sure It's ok to ride and It's not a bad looking bike but because It's a clone it gets a fail.
I don't see the resemblence. The Wide Glide is a much stouter looking bike and Raiden has a longer, leaner look. Raiden is also much wilder looking than the relatively sedate looking Wide Glide. They are both good looking bikes but they don't look similar at all to my eyes.

2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#7 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

First off, the Raider looks nothing like the Wide Glide, not even 'down to the rear fender'. The Raider's rear well is raked downward for most of its length and terminates in a sharply truncated upsweep, whereas the Wide Glide has a mostly tubbed fender out back. The list goes on too. Raider has a concealed monoshock, whereas the WG has duel outboards. Raider has a large headlamp nacelle, WG has the stubby little bulb Harly likes so much. Raider has it's turn signals mounted lower than the headlight and mag wheels, WG has the high turn signal stems and spoked wheels. Com'n SnakeDoc, at least look at a competitors cruiser before tossing your hair and calling it a Harly clone. That attitude is why us metric riders don't wave at you. (-:

What I especially like about the Raider is that they've stayed close to the classic cruiser profile. What I mean is, if you take a look at some of the other "ultra-stylized factory custom' offerings out there -- and here I'm thinking specifically of the Victory line -- you'll see that they've become so backswept and buttoned under that they just can't be optioned tastefully. A Victory 8-Ball would look terrible with a windshield, sissy bar, bags and luggage rack. The Raider, though, stays close enough to the cruiser legacy that you could option this bike without ruining the silhouette, and I appreciate that.

I'm giving this bike an 'Awesome', and believe me that's tough for me to do with a Yamaha cruiser. Yamaha's VStar line has always struck me as the "Buick" of the industry -- mostly heavy, rather sedate and ultimately the sort of thing a motorcop might find attractive. That Yamaha has injected some new blood and edgy styling with this new Star line is, to me, a significant step in the right direction, and I for one look forward to strolling through a Yamaha dealership without having to stifle a yawn.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#8 Unread post by sapaul »

I am with Jack
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#9 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

I just caught my mistake, I was thinking of the stock rear fender on the Fat Bob, not the stock rear on the Wide Glide. The Raider SCL is still a clone though.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#10 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Okay, I'll concede there is some 'clone' in the Raider. I can't deny that it has two wheels, a seat and handlebars. The Fat Bob has the same.