2012 Triumph Sprint GT: Voted Cool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Triumph Sprint GT is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Triumph Sprint GT: Voted Cool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Triumph Sprint GT

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rintGT.htm

2012 Triumph Sprint GT

For all the roads ahead.

The perfect all rounder. Built for your lifestyle. Two up or solo, loaded or light, the Sprint GT takes it all and delivers a fast and stable GT experience in a value for money package.

Triumph spoke to many sports touring riders when developing the Sprint GT, including many Sprint ST owners. The result is a package that delivers all that is good about the ST, updated and incorporating a number of features aimed at improving practicality and mile eating capabilities. A classic British GT.

The New Sprint GT. All round entertainment.

Designed by long-distance riders for long-distance riders. That’s why the GT has the 1050cc triple renowned for power, reliability and soul. That's why the GT has a fuel tank that'll cover 200 miles. That's why the GT has an uprated headlight an extended swing arm for better stability and that's why the GT has up to 117 liters of luggage capacity with an accessory top box including 12v electronics.

Sport or Touring? How about both with the supremely versatile Sprint.

Sprint ST. 1050 engine, mile eating capacity, bags of torque, comfort and plenty of "go".

Sprint GT. Power, handling, practicality and versatility in equal measure.

Fuel Efficiency:

40 MPG City / 59 MPG Highway

Performance:

Triumph's 1050cc triple engine uprated and good for 128bhp as well as 80ft.lbs of torque. The new ECU helps deliver smoother throttle response, more power and torque and improved fuel consumption. A 200 mile fuel range for more time between stops. The new ECU helps deliver smoother throttle response, more power and torque and improved fuel consumption.

Handling and Comfort:

With the same twin-spar aluminium beam frame as the ST, plus uprated internals and a new chassis, the new Sprint GT combines Sports bike performance with two up all day touring comfort.

Practicality:

Underseat storage with space for a u-lock. Built in rack and grab handle. 200 mile fuel range. World class luggage handling with 31 litre helmet-swallowing panniers as standard. The Sprint GT is as practical as you need.

Even More Practicality:

Triumph's Accessories division offers a full range of accessories for you to create your own GT. Start with a colour coded and powered top box. Check out the seating options, heated grips and taller aero screen.

2012 Triumph Sprint GT - US Specifications/Technical Details
USA MSRP Price: On The Road $13,399
Canada MSRP Price: On The Road $14,699

Engine and Transmission
Type Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity 1050cc
Bore/Stroke 79 x 71.4mm
Fuel System Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI
Exhaust Stainless steel 3 into 1, side mounted stainless steel exhaust
Final Drive X ring chain
Clutch Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox 6-speed
Oil Capacity 3.5 liters (0.9 US gals)
Chassis, Running Gear and Displays
Frame Aluminum beam perimeter
Swingarm Single-sided, aluminium alloy with eccentric chain adjuster
Wheel Front Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 17 x 3.5in
Rear Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 17 x 5.5in
Tire Front 120/70 ZR 17
Rear 180/55 ZR 17
Suspension Front Showa 43mm cartridge forks with dual rate springs and adjustable preload, 127mm travel
Rear Showa monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound damping, 152mm rear wheel travel
Brakes Front Twin 320mm floating discs, Nissin 4-piston calipers, ABS
Rear Single 255mm disc, Nissin 2-piston sliding caliper, ABS
Instrument Display/Functions Analogue speedometer, trip computer, clock and analogue tachometer

Dimensions and Capacities
Length 2260 mm (88.9 in)
Width (handlebars) 760 mm (29.9 in)
Height without mirrors 1210 mm (47.6 in)
Seat Height 815 mm (32.1 in)
Wheelbase 1537mm (60.5 in)
Rake/Trail 23.5.0º / 84mm
Fuel Tank Capacity / Efficiency 20 liters (5.3 US gals)
Wet Weight (ready to ride) 265 kg (583 lbs)
Performance (measured at crankshaft to 95/1/EC)
Maximum Power 130PS / 128bhp / 96 kW @ 9200rpm
Maximum Torque 108Nm / 80 ft.lbs @ 6300rpm
Fuel Efficiency 40 MPG City / 59 MPG Highway *Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle conducted under ideal laboratory conditions. Actual mileage may vary based upon personal riding habits, weather, vehicle condition, and ot

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rintGT.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: This Week - 2012 Triumph Sprint GT: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

I want one so much, I would cheerfully kill and torture anyone you like if you gave me one.....LOL.....well not really, kill and torture that is....but I do want one, the only bike I want more is the Sprint ST, which I think is a tad bit more sporty then the GT....still...an awesome vote from me natch. :uk: :ohyea: :uk:
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:I want one so much, I would cheerfully kill and torture anyone you like if you gave me one.....LOL.....well not really, kill and torture that is....but I do want one, the only bike I want more is the Sprint ST, which I think is a tad bit more sporty then the GT....still...an awesome vote from me natch. :uk: :ohyea: :uk:
I don't think it really came across how much you like the bike... :laughing:

Ok, in all seriousness, what is it that really turns your crank about the 2012 Triumph Sprint GT? Power? Handling? Style or maybe the alternator output or color of the front tire? :D

:taco: <-- that smilie always makes me hungry, might have to get tacos tonight. :pizza:

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Best I could do was cool, I didn't like the looks of the side bags and I just can't get my brain to make my body like the sport riding stance.

The side bag looks like it was originally made too big and someone cut off the back end to make it fit the bike, there may be a lot of room in there but I think the bike suffers from the look.

As to the colour of the front tire, meh, I like the rear tire colour better...

Other than that, a cool bike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Look at the other bikes in the class: VFR1200, R1200RT, Concours 14, FJR. Compared to them, the Sprint is gorgeous, even if it's one of the older sport-touring models around. Plus, it's a Triumph triple? How can it not be cool?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#6 Unread post by High_Side »

It's a nice bike and attempts to fix the issues with the Sprint ST to make it a better two-up tourer. It's longer and the passenger seat is lower due to the loss of the underseat exhausts. With this change it lost a lot of its good looks in my opinion and apparently it doesn't handle as well either. Therefore it's a cool from me whereas the ST would have been awesome.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

In many ways, I have to agree with High Side's points not all the changes from the ST to the GT are positive in regards to looks and sporty performance.

When Triumph first released the Sprint, it already had a the Trophy filling the big ST niche. It was a good pairing in my opinion, the Trophy lean more towards the gentleman touring side of the ST world whereas the Sprint leaned more towards the sporty hooligan side. When the Trophy was discontinued, the Sprint ST slowly edged up more towards the touring side and in my opinion sort of stopped at the halfway point between hooligan and gentleman, a great all rounder bike and if given a choice between owning a brand new 2012 GT or a 2011 ST, I would go with the ST.

I do have one worry about the GT and that Triumph is about to make the same mistake as Honda and Kawasaki have made, forgetting what ST's are all about, having a bike that is joy and comfortable enough to ride all day and still have the heart of a hooligan when it comes time to blast through the twisties. I currently ride a Concours 1000, a great bike, fast and fairly nimble but when I sat on the Connie 14, it felt huge and lumbering, the same with the Honda ST aka the Pan European.

Triumph, in changing the Sprint's designation from ST (Sport Touring) to GT (Grand Touring) hints at this push to a bigger and less sporty bike, I fear they are loosing their focus on sporty bikes for which they are known for. In my opinion, bigger is not always better and the more bells and whistles you put on a bike, the less fun it can be. If Triumph continues in this direction, they may soon have to come up with another lighter ST model, perhaps an ST version of the Daytona.

Still, the Sprint GT is in my opinion awesome, it is one of the few ST's apart for the FJ1200 that tried to stay within the sporty side of the ST equation. Oh and Doc, that luggage comes off and the Sprint is one of the few ST bikes that actually look good without its baggage. Even my Connie 1000 looks a little odd without its panniers on.
Always ask why.

High_Side

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

Well today there has been a new Trophy 1215 announced so the GT will have a thinner slice of the sport-touring market. As for the old ST, last fall I damned near bought one at a screaming price - tornado red with factory bags. After getting to ride it for an hour or so, the bike hit all the right nerves. If I would have bought it I would have never had a chance to go for the new VFR however. The jury is still out on whether or not that was a good move....

Damned good looking bike:

High_Side

#9 Unread post by High_Side »

ceemes wrote: If Triumph continues in this direction, they may soon have to come up with another lighter ST model, perhaps an ST version of the Daytona.
How about an ST using the 800cc Tiger engine? Would be about perfect in my opinion.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:Well today there has been a new Trophy 1215 announced
Yes indeed. I had that information as of June 20th but it was embargoed till end of 22nd. but here you go (more to follow monday with it's own page and specs in our 2013 Motorcycle Guide)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45317

However, back to the discussion of the 2012 Triumph Sprint GT...