2012 BMW K1600GTL: Voted - Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 BMW K1600GTL is...

You may select 1 option

59%
24%
15%
3%

Total votes: 34

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 BMW K1600GTL: Voted - Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 BMW K1600GTL

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 600GTL.htm

2012 BMW K1600GTL

When luxury is freed of all ballast, it moves to a new level. At the very top of this evolution is the new K 1600 GTL – a high-class touring bike like none before it. With the most compact and efficient in-line 6-cylinder engine ever installed in a series production motorcycle.

The ergonomics of the K 1600 GTL are designed for long trips and leave nothing to be desired for either rider or pillion passenger in terms of comfort. The slim design in the area of the rider's seat and the fact that the handlebars reach far back allows a relaxed seating position - for hours and over hundreds of miles. The pillion passenger enjoys a sizable seating area and a comfortable backrest.

Available for the first time in a motorcycle: the adaptive headlight (special equipment feature) - a revolution which matches the visionary front section of the K 1600 GTL and provides the very highest level of active safety.

The GTL makes luxury light-footed. This is because its unique chassis provides excellent handling. With a totally direct ride feel due to the ground-breaking Duolever front suspension. At the rear, it is the Paralever that put's the power of the engine onto the road, The optional ESA II (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) ensures that the GTL always glides completely smoothly since the systems allows the damping and suspension to be adapted according to situation and preference at the press of a button.

Every detail is designed for maximum riding pleasure. A motorcycle for people who are looking for a new kind of supremacy.
The K 1600 GTL. UNSTOPPABLE TOUR.

------------------------------------

2012 BMW K1600GTL - American Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $23,200 USD inc ABS
Canada MSRP Price: $29,500 CDN

Engine
Type Oil-/water cooled 4-stroke in-line 6-cylinder engine, two overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder
Bore x stroke 72 mm x 67,5 mm
Capacity 1.649 cc
Rated output 160 hp (118 kW) at 7,750 rpm
Max. torque 129 lb-ft (175 Nm) at 5,250 rpm
Compression ratio 12,2 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic intake pipe injection, digital engine management (BMS-X)
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed Over 125 mph (200 km/h)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 51 mpg, at a constant 55 mph.
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h
Fuel type Unleaded super.
Electrical system
Alternator three-phase alternator 580 W
Battery 12 V / 19 Ah, maintenance-free
Power transmission
Clutch Multiple-disc clutch in oil bath
Gearbox 6-speed, helical, gearbox
Drive Shaft
Chassis / brakes
Frame Bridge-type frame, cast aluminum, load-bearing engine
Front wheel location / suspension BMW Motorrad Duolever; central spring strut
Rear wheel location / suspension BMW Motorrad Paralever
Suspension travel front / rear 4.9"/5.3" (125mm /135 mm)
Wheelbase 66.7 inches (1,680 mm)
Castor 108.4 mm
Steering head angle 62.2°
Wheels Cast aluminum wheels
Rim, front 3,50 x 17"
Rim, rear 6.00 x 17"
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 190/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Dual disc brake, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
Brake, rear Single disc brake, diameter 320 mm, double-piston caliper
ABS Series: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
Dimensions / weights
Length 98.0" (2,489mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 39.4" (1,000 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 57.5" (1,465 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 29.5" (750 mm), (high seat bench: 30.7" [780 mm])
Inner leg curve, unladen weight
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 767 lbs (348 kg)
Dry weight 2) 708 lbs (321 kg)
Permitted total weight 1,235 lbs (560 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 467 lbs (212 kg)
Usable tank volume 7 gallons
Reserve 1 gallon
" Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
" 1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume, (GT without panniers)
" 2) Unladen weight without fluids (GT without panniers)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week - 2012 BMW K1600GTL: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This week's Total Motorcycle Cool Wall bike was suggested by JackoftheGreen. He wanted it up because "The staff at Rider magazine gave the nod to the BMW K1600 GTL for their Motorcycle of the Year award (July 1012 issue). I thought I'd suggest that bike for the Cool Wall next -- do they know something we don't, or do we know something they don't?"

The more accurate line would be we (Total Motorcycle) knew something Rider, Motorcyclist and Cycle World didn't know and that was the introduction of the K1600 and BMW 6-cylinder engine back in 2010! We told them about it, but they didn't believe us. Glad to see they not only believe TMW now but also believe in the bike. But is the 2012 BMW K1600GTL cool? That's for you to decide!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

I haven't had a chance to sample one, but what a BIKE!! (wonder what my vote was?)

Great power, awesome inline 6 sound (thank you Beemer!!), comfort, nice big fuel tank...it's a little pricey, but if you compare the price of this to the Honda Goldwing, it's completely in line! Just depends of you lean toward tour, or if you want a little more sport...I'm not quite ready for a Goldwind, but this bike would be welcome in my garage anytime (not that a Goldwing isn't, but I would pay for the BMW)

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

Mike...

Can you let us know if the volumes that are used are US or Imperial...or provide liters to clarify...that way the mpg & fuel capacity could be more informative...51mpg is awesome if it's US...4.6L/100kms...but 51mpg Imperial isn't awesome, it's good but not mind blowing...5.5L/100kms...

Same with the fuel tank size...7gal US ~ 26.5L...7gal Imp ~ 31.8L...

Thanks

Later.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

I like the GT but not crazy about the GTL...a little too over the top for me. In fact, most bike mags liked the GT but not the GTL. And the price is sky high. I voted cool on the strength of the engine nonetheless.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I did suggest this bike for the Cool Wall, but a caveat -- I suggested it because it had won a prestigous award, not necessarily because I liked the bike.

That said...

I like this bike. And I don't know why.

If you've read my previous posts in the Cool Wall, you know that's a pretty big deal for me to like anything ST. Touring bikes in general really aren't my thing, in fact, but for some damn reason this bike just looks better every time I look at it. Even more disturbing, it's a Beemer, and I have a poor boys habitual distaste for anything from Bavarian Motor Vorks (SP intentional). Hand in hand with that is the fact that this bike is so far beyond any price range I will ever shop in, it's like exploring my opinion of a tropical island being offered for sale.

And yet I can't help but like this thing. The panniers sure look better than any others I've seen on this type of bike, and I like the slope and crease in the tank -- sorta reminds me of my old Magna. On the downside, the slope of the rear pillion looks less than comfortable for long distances, and something about the 'fender under fairing' combination always seems to make the front end look way too flimsy. That exhaust looks great though...

Ultimately, what really impresses me is that fuel economy. I know that sounds a little silly, but for a bike claiming to be a prime choice for long distance touring it really stands out in my mind. 300 miles or more between fill-ups is an incredibly attractive selling point, especially given how much effort I put into planning fuel stops for the rides Rubia and I take together. In the end, I can say with confidence that if we ever decided to give up our two cruisers and trade into a single 2Up tourer, I'd want this or something like it. So I have to give it a Cool.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

madjak30 wrote:Mike...

Can you let us know if the volumes that are used are US or Imperial...or provide liters to clarify...that way the mpg & fuel capacity could be more informative...51mpg is awesome if it's US...4.6L/100kms...but 51mpg Imperial isn't awesome, it's good but not mind blowing...5.5L/100kms...

Same with the fuel tank size...7gal US ~ 26.5L...7gal Imp ~ 31.8L...

Thanks

Later.
I'd be happy to let you know. All data from a country is in that countries system (to make it as easy as possible); Ie. US data is in US measurements, UK is in imperial; unless otherwise noted by the manufacturer or me. :D

Mike

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

Sorry, missed the "American Specifications" in the bike description...awesome fuel consumption, but who really goes 90kph~55mph? You remember Alberta Hwy 2 'The Alberta Autobahn', you're lucky if you don't get run over doing 120kph~75mph...

Still an excellent bike!

If I start saving now, maybe I can afford a used one in 5yrs...

Later.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by madjak30 »

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

madjak30 wrote:Sorry, missed the "American Specifications" in the bike description...awesome fuel consumption, but who really goes 90kph~55mph? You remember Alberta Hwy 2 'The Alberta Autobahn', you're lucky if you don't get run over doing 120kph~75mph...

Still an excellent bike!

If I start saving now, maybe I can afford a used one in 5yrs...

Later.
Not a problem at all! In fact, if there wasn't so much information on the page it would be easier to spot, but I cram as much on one page as possible (more information the better right!?)

And for BMW, can you please make a NAKED bike version so I can actually see the 6-cylinder beauty!!

Mike