2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius: Voted - Awesome

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius: Voted - Awesome

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ladius.htm

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius

The Suzuki SFV 650 provides a new definition of aggressive sport bike styling. With a trellis frame openly highlighting its chassis design, stylish five-spoke cast aluminum-alloy wheels and a bold, upswept exhaust system, the Gladius promises exciting performance. The proven 650 V-twin engine provides the power you crave.

Fashion Meets Technology

Introducing a unique work of motorcycle art, a masterpiece of fresh styling.

Powered by a sporty 645cc V-Twin engine featuring the best of modern technology, delivering broad power.

A motorcycle that blends traditional displacement with an elegant new look, smooth handling and a friendly, comfortable ride.

Think of it as a combination of style and technology, efficiency and fashion, an unmatched value on two wheels, with an extra dose of daily fun included.

It is called the Suzuki SFV650 (GLADIUS).

Unveiled in Paris, Suzuki's all-new Gladius 650 was a complete surprise to the press. A new naked middleweight model featuring Suzuki's legendary 650cc V-Twin engine, the Gladius boasts unique styling in a user-friendly package.

With a fuel injected, twin plug head engine delivering enhanced performance, combined with great style and neutral lightweight handling, the Gladius is perfect for first time or experienced riders alike.

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius Key Features

39mm throttle bodies

645cm3 fuel-injected DOHC 90-degree V-Twin engine based on the SV650 power plant with proven long-term reliability, broad power and quiet rumble.

Twin Iridium spark plugs for each cylinder improve combustion. Use of Iridium alloy allows the electrode to be finer to produce a stronger spark.

Race-proven Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Materials (SCEM) cylinder reduces friction and improves heat transfer, durability and ring seal.

Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) downdraft digital fuel injection enhances throttle response and acceleration and helps reduce emissions.

10-hole, extra-fine-atomization fuel injectors improve combustion efficiency.

Automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) system integrated into each throttle body improves cold starting and reduce emissions

Elegant styling with a richly curved bodywork highlighted by edgy frame covers, seat rail/engine cover detailing and buffed stainless steel muffler cover.

Steel-tubing compact trellis frame.

Color combinations and contrasts of front fender, radiator covers, fuel tank covers, side covers, steel fuel tank and frame in each color scheme attractively characterize fresh and stylish appearance of the GLADIUS.

Two-tone seat, with a relatively low 785mm (30.9-inch) height, ample padding and bolstered rear edges to well-support the rider's hips.

Comfortable riding position composed with tubular handlebar shape, footpeg and seat positioning, and the slim fuel tank/seat meeting section.

41mm-stanchion-tube front forks and progressive-link rear suspension are both spring-preload adjustable.

5-spoke 17-inch cast aluminum-alloy wheels, shod with Dunlop Qualifier sport radial tires.

Front brakes with floating 290mm discs and dual-piston calipers; rear brake with 240mm disc and a single-piston caliper.

Carefully shaped multi-reflector headlight incorporates high and low beams as well as a position light, and is flanked by clear-lens turn indicators.

Instrumentation includes an analog tachometer and LCD speedometer, digital dual trip meters, odometer, LCD digital clock and gear-position indicator.

Indicator lights include a two-way remaining fuel warning lamp backed up by an LCD reserve trip meter.

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius - Canadian Specifications/Technical Details
Canada MSRP Price: $8,299 CDN
UK RRP Price: £5,465 GBP
USA MSRP Price: NA

Chassis
Brakes Front 2-piston calipers, 290 mm disc, twin
Brakes Rear 1-piston caliper, 240mm disc
Color Pearl Mirage White/Glass Sparkle Black and Glass Sparkle Black
Curb Weight 202kg (446lbs)
Final Drive Chain
Fuel Tank Capacity 14.5 L (3.19 Imp gal)
Ground Clearance 140mm (5.5 in.)
Overall Length 2130 mm (83.9 in.)
Overall Width 760 mm (29.9 in.)
Seat Height 785 mm (30.9 in.)
Suspension Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension Rear Lynk type, coil spring, oil damped, spring preload 7-step adjustable
Tires Front 120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
Tires Rear 160/60ZR17M/C (69W), tubeless
Transmission 6-speed, constant mesh
Wheelbase 1445mm (56.9 in.)
Engine
Bore Stroke 81.0 mm x 62.6 mm
Compression Ratio 11.5 : 1
Engine 645 cc, 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90-degree V-Twin
Fuel System Fuel Injection
Ignition Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
Lubrication Wet sump
Starter Electric
Warranty
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week - 2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The Suzuki Gladius WAS for sale in the USA (final year was 2009 at MSRP: $6,499 USD). You can still find them used around.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Awesome bike, a true UJM. I wish I had one.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

Long, long gone from the US market.

As a replacement for the naked SV650, I never saw the point. Suzuki replaced an aluminum frame with a steel trellis frame (Ducati Monster wannabe) so it's heavier. Personally I never cared much for the looks compared to the naked SV650. It's engine and mechanicals are supposed to be pretty much the same as the SV.

So it's kind of a "meh" bike for me. 650cc nakeds are cool as a rule, but the SV650 is more cool than this. Suzuki kind of went backwards. Meh. (no vote). :dunno:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:Long, long gone from the US market. It's engine and mechanicals are supposed to be pretty much the same as the SV.
Just a few counter and funny points:

Well, 2009, yes, I guess that could be long, long gone. haha. But to be fair, long, long gone should be the 80's. It is a shame it isn't sold in the USA right now, it is quite a popular bike in Europe and wins a lot of awards there for it's performance and value.

The Gladius engine was not developed from the SV engine even though they share the same displacement while the V-Strom's 650 engine was a SV650 engine tweaked. The Gladius engine was designed specificly for this model alone (quite a surprise really Suzuki did that).

New Engine

- An automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) system is integrated into each throttle body, and produces stable idle while improving cold starting and reducing emissions immediately after start up.

- Each 39mm throttle body carries a 10-hole fuel injector. The extra-fine atomization injectors produce an average spray particle diameter that is smaller for improved combustion efficiency

- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) liner reduces friction and improves heat transfer, durability and ring seal

- SFV650 is powered by a sporty fuel injected, DOHC 90 degree V-twin engine based on the proven SV650 powerplant famous for its long term reliability, broad power and quiet rumble.

- 645cc displacement with a bore and stroke of 81.0mm x 62.6mm and a compression ratio of 11.5:1

- Each cylinder head features a compact combustion chamber with two 31mm intake valves set at 14 degrees from the cylinder centerline and two 25.5mm exhaust valves set at 16 degrees from the cylinder centerline.

- New single valve springs reduce inertia weight and mechanical losses while maintaining accurate valve control.

- Dual spark plugs cylinder heads feature iridium spark plugs reduce spark plug electrode degradation and allow the electrode to be finer producing a more intense, hotter spark and further enhancing combustion.

- Conventional pressed in iron liners are replaced with Suzuki?s own race proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide coating (SCEM), which reduces friction and improves heat transfer, durability and ring seal.

- Increased low ?to-mid range torque output as well as a broad and smooth power delivery are produced through changes in Cam profiles, valve lift, a 10% increase in crankshaft inertia, newly staggered intake and exhaust tract lengths and an increase in exhaust system volume. All this without affecting top end power.

- Clutch release mechanism is changed from ball-screw type to cam type system and the transmission gear engagement dogs are strengthened to help improve shifting of the six speed transmission. .

- To reduce mechanical noise, a scissor type primary gear is split length wise with the two halves spring loaded, and the clutch and countershaft sprocket covers are now double layered for additional sound reduction.

- New more efficient radiator is lighter and narrower, while the new liquid to liquid oil cooler reduces weight.

- Fuel pump is lighter and more compact and located within the 15 liter fuel tank.

- An oval throttle pulley helps smooth low rpm/mid-range power delivery

- SDTV fuel injection system uses two butterfly valves with the primary valve controlled by the rider and the secondary throttle valve controlled by the engine management system to maintain proper intake air velocity needed for maximum combustion efficiency and improved throttle response

- The newly patented Suzuki Idle-speed Automatic Control (SIAC) system is integrated into each throttle body, using internal passageways to eliminate external hoses and control valves. A notch machined into the secondary butterfly valve shaft precisely matches the volume of air flowing through the idle circuit with actual throttle position, producing stable idle while improving cold starting and reducing emissions immediately after start up.

- The engine is so efficient in burning fuel that it doesn?t need a secondary system to inject fresh air into the exhaust ports to ignite unburned hydrocarbons.

- The SFV650 has a catalyst built into an exhaust chamber mounted underneath the engine and connected to a stylish upswept muffler.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:The Gladius engine was not developed from the SV engine even though they share the same displacement while the V-Strom's 650 engine was a SV650 engine tweaked. The Gladius engine was designed specificly for this model alone (quite a surprise really Suzuki did that).
I guess it's semantics what is considered to be a "new" engine versus what is evolved from an existing engine. The Gladius engine has the exact same bore and stroke as the SV650 engine. Compared to the SV, they made the crank heavier, changed the cams, made the valve springs lighter, and modified the intake stacks. To me that's evolution, not a brand new engine. YMMV.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#7 Unread post by madjak30 »

I voted AWESOME...

I think it is a great bike...yes, it's heavier than the old SV but is is also more comfortable, more powerful and more efficient...and the look has grown on me, copy cat or not...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I really like this category (mid-weight standards from 600-800cc); perfectly sized, comfortable, practical do-it-all bikes, and the SV650 was my favorite Japanese bike in the group. I was disappointed in the Gladius. The SV was so cool, a poor man's Monster. On the other hand, there's something about the Gladius that seems too influenced by a marketing department, from the cheesy Latin name (yes, naming it after a sword makes it seem soooo masculine), to the bulbous looks, to the toy-like color schemes. How the mighty have fallen.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#9 Unread post by Thumper »

I had a 2009, and that bike was pure fun. It felt a lot lighter than 450 pounds, was easy to control and creepingly slow sleeps, accelerated to stupid fast quickly...it was just a ton of fun, and if my back wasn't total crap, I'd probably still have it.

It's a shame it didn't do well in the US...poor marketing, I guess. So many guys online sneering at it as a "girl's bike..."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went for: Awesome

You know, I really like the Gladius myself, one of the last true UJM's out there, middle weight class (as in CC's), light in weight, great torque and (from reviews) fun to ride; plus it's a great price for what it is too. Awesome.

It's too bad it isn't sold new in the USA anymore. But then, the USA is missing out on other great UJM's too like the CB1300, the XJR1300, the GSX1400, the GSR750F, so many and now the SFV650 too. I truly wonder what the US manufacturers are thinking sometimes limiting their market so much.

Mike