2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S: Voted Cool

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S: Voted Cool

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... er-STS.htm

2013 Can-Am Model Guide: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... -CanAm.htm

2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S

Ample storage and wind protection with the ergonomics to handle tight corners and long rides.

Sport-touring gets an edge. Give sport-touring an even sportier look with the Spyder ST-S. From the custom trim package to the 15-inch Carbon Black wheels and refined front fender design, it screams attitude. While the rider footboards and cruise control indulge its touring side. Plus, the Spyder ST-S comes with all the features and amenities of the Spyder ST.

A perfect blend of sport and touring, the Spyder ST-S combines ample storage and wind protection with the ergonomics to handle tight corners as easily as it handles long rides. Plus, it features automotive-inspired technologies like a Vehicle Stability System and a manual or semi-automatic transmission, giving it a smooth, confident ride.

Get comfortable taking the corners. The Spyder ST-S combines the performance you long for with the comfort and convenience you need. It’s stylish and street savvy, yet still highway hungry.

2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S Key Features

• 998cc Rotax V-Twin engine
• Vehicle Stability System
• 12 gallons (44 L) of storage
• Metallic silver front rims with twin-spokes
• Adjustable windshield with wind deflectors
• Adjustable passenger footboards
• Sport touring seat
• Multifunction color digital display
• Roadster electronic command center
• Anti-theft system: Digitally Encoded Security System (D.E.S.S.™)
• Compatible with the optional RT-622 trailer

Color available: Pure Magnesium Metallic

Highlights

All the Spyder ST features, plus:
• Carbon-black front rims with twin-blade spokes
• Refined front fenders with integrated LED lights
• Electronic cruise control
• Rider footboards (w/ SE5 transmission only)
• Carbon-black trim
• Painted A-arm and front spoiler
• Compatible with the optional RT-622 trailer

2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S - Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $20,099 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $22,199 CDN

ENGINE
Manufacturer
BRP-Rotax®
Type
998cc Rotax V-twin engine, liquid-cooled with electronic fuel injection and electronic throttle control
Bore & stroke
3.82 x 2.68 in. (97 x 68 mm)
Injection
N/A
Power
100 hp (74.5 kW) @ 7500 RPM
Torque
80 lb-ft. (108 Nm) @ 5000 RPM
Transmissions
5-speed manual with reverse (SM5)
5-speed semi-automatic with reverse (SE5)

CHASSIS

Front suspension
Double A-arm with anti-roll bar
Front suspension travel
5.9 in. (151 mm)
Rear suspension
Swing arm with monoshock
Rear suspension travel
6 in. (152 mm)
Brake type
Foot-operated, hydraulic 3-wheel brake
Front brake
270 mm discs with Brembo 4-piston fixed calipers
Rear brake
Single 270 mm disc with Brembo single-piston floating caliper
EBD
Electronic Brake Distribution
Parking brake
Electromechanical
Front tires
165/55R15
Rear tire
225/50R15
Front wheel
Carbon Black six twin-blade-spoke, 15 x 5 in. (381 x 127 mm)
Rear wheel
Carbon-Black, 15 x 7 in. (381 x 178 mm)

SAFETY & SECURITY
VSS
Vehicle Stability System - Standard
SCS
Stability Control System - Standard
TCS
Traction Control System - Standard
ABS
Anti-lock Braking System - Standard
DESS
Digitally Encoded Security System - Standard
DPS
Dynamic Power Steering - Standard

VEHICLE DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
Wheel base
67 in. (1,711 mm)
Seat height
32 in. (737 mm)
Ground clearance
4.3 in. (110 mm)
Dry weight
864 lb (392 kg)
L x W x H
105 x 59.3 x 52.4 in. (2,667 x 1,506 x 1,332 mm)
Total storage capacity
12 gal (44 L)
Maximum vehicle load
440 lb (200 kg)
Fuel capacity
6.6 gal (25 L)

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... er-STS.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This Week - 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

BTW - The 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S is BRAND NEW FOR 2013! In fact, the whole ST line up is new for 2013 (there are others!).

Now, we have had 2 other Can-Am Spyders up in the past on our Cool Wall; will this one do better or worse?

2012 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - Vote and Discuss - 47% Cool - Featured: Mar 30th - Apr 6th, 2012.
2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S - Vote and Discuss - 40% Fail - Featured: April 8th - 15th, 2011.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#3 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I'm voting: Cool.

My mindset, though, is still this -- the Spyder is what I wanted before I 'bucked up' and learned to ride for real. It still feels like a 'compromise' vehicle to me, and I can't decide if they've got more or less street cred than a scooter. But, I wave at guys (and girls) on these, so in my mind at least they've got more.

For what this is, I think it's well placed. If riding the Spyder can really compare to riding a true bike, then getting the ST experience while still socking away 11 gallons of storage and long range comfort makes this attractive to a broader range of potential consumers. The RT swallows 41 gallons of stowage, but it doesn't look near as sporty as this. It's only $2,400 more though, a pittance when you're already over the 20k mark. So while the ST-S is well placed in regard to features and customer appeal, I'm not sure it's sticker is equally appropriate.

One thing's for sure though, the Spyder line is here to stay. I see them out on the road every time I ride, and I see them riding side-by-side with real bikes more often than not. They're popular, and the people who buy them are being accepted by our community. I think that's awesome, and Can-Am does us a great favor in opening our sport to a wider range of people. I'd love to take one of these for a spin.

On a final note, more's the pity for Corbin, who just didn't realize people would want three wheels while still sitting in a saddle. If he'd realized that, maybe you would have seen a couple of these on the street last time you rode:
Attachments
merlin.jpg
merlin.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 15360 times

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

Ok, I'm not a huge fan of trikes, but, if I was injured in such a way as to not be able to support a bike, I would definitely consider the Can-Am... Although I gave this one a cool rating, it wouldn't be the model I'd pick. I would rather have the touring model with it's better (for me) sitting position and all the bells and whistles...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

dr_bar wrote:Ok, I'm not a huge fan of trikes, but, if I was injured in such a way as to not be able to support a bike, I would definitely consider the Can-Am... Although I gave this one a cool rating, it wouldn't be the model I'd pick. I would rather have the touring model with it's better (for me) sitting position and all the bells and whistles...
I too would probably get the top of the line touring model with all the toys as well if I was going to get something like this. I always liked the way the Can Ams looked, I give it a cool.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Uncool, it's not a bike, it's not a car, it's not even a traditional trike, what it look like is the unholy off-spring from the unlikely mating of a snowmobile and a Smart car......If there comes a day where I can no longer ride on two wheels and need a third, I will go for a Gold Wing trike conversion, at least that still looks like a bike, or perhaps a sidecar rig....but never one of those Can-Am monstrosities.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by HYPERR »

ceemes wrote:If there comes a day where I can no longer ride on two wheels and need a third, I will go for a Gold Wing trike conversion, at least that still looks like a bike, or perhaps a sidecar rig....but never one of those Can-Am monstrosities.
Hacks are much more physically demanding than a trike aren't they?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#8 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

Uncool, and here's why.

Today, I encountered a pack of 6 people "riding" these awful contraptions while on my way home from work. Traffic was stopped because of an accident, so I was stuck next to these people for around 10 minutes. At one point, I was laughing at them so hard I nearly dropped my V-ROD. Every single one of them looked like a ridiculous, pathetic tourist. They were the kind of people you could take one look at and instantly know you wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. These people were the literal embodiment of the "poser rider" stereotype.

The entire Spyder line deserves a fail for being impossibly ugly, and the ST-S is no exception. I voted uncool because the machines serve only one purpose, to attract posers away from actual motorcycles.

DavyP
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2008/Honda/vtx1300

#9 Unread post by DavyP »

Total fail!
This is not a motorcycle IMHO.
It's just a snowmobile with wheels.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

I say it's pretty cool. It isn't a traditional trike, you're right. This one handles better and is more stable...

Snakey, why were you laughing at them? Because they weren't on a V-Rod? To me it sounds like you have a complex you ought to get taken care of.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha