2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Voted Fail

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Voted Fail

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rosser.htm

2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser

The Zero XU blends industry leading technology, performance and practicality to deliver the ultimate urban-crosser. A low seat height, no-shift operation and removable power pack allow riders of all kinds to enjoy pure exhilaration without all the hassles and maintenance that other motorcycles require.

The Zero XU is an innovative, lightweight, electric motorcycle that blends industry-leading technology, performance and practicality to deliver the ultimate urban commuter and allaround fun motorcycle. A low seat height, zero-shift operation and removable modular power pack technology allow riders of all kinds to navigate the city with a new kind of freedom.

Ride the way you want. Roll on the throttle, relax and leisurely wind your way from one destination to the next. Or… take full advantage of instant and seamless acceleration at any RPM. Designed for utility and pure enjoyment, the Zero XU transforms the city into a motorcycle amusement park.

Built around Zero’s lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum frame, the Zero XU is styled to be minimalistic, strong, eye-catching and comfortable. As with Zero’s entire model line, the 2013 Zero XU costs only cents to recharge and, with its maintenance-free powertrain, is one of the most economical motorcycles to own and operate.

2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser - North American Specifications/Technical Details
USA MSRP Price: $7,995 MSRP for the ZF2.8 and $10,490 MSRP for the ZF5.7 USD
Canadian MSRP Price: $7,995 MSRP for the ZF2.8 and $10,490 MSRP for the ZF5.7 CDN

Z2.8
City/Highway/Combined range* 38/17/24 miles (61/27/39 km)
Max torque 42 ft-lb (57 Nm)
Max power 27 hp (20 kW) @ 4000 RPM
Top speed* 77 mph (124 km/h)
Power pack maximum capacity 2.8 kWh (expandable)
Estimated power pack life to 80% capacity (city) 95,000 miles (153,000 km)
Typical cost to recharge $0.30
Equivalent fuel economy (city) 512 MPGe (0.46 L/100 km)
Charge time, empty to 95% 3.7 hours
CHAdeMO charge time to 95% (acc.) 1 hour
Weight 218 lb (99 kg)
Seat height 31.1 inches (790 mm)
MSRP** $7,995.00

Z5.7
City/Highway/Combined range* 76/35/48 miles (122/56/77 km)
Max torque 42 ft-lb (57 Nm)
Max power 28 hp (21 kW) @ 4000 RPM
Top speed* 77 mph (124 km/h)
Power pack maximum capacity 5.7 kWh
Estimated power pack life to 80% capacity (city) 190,000 miles (306,000 km)
Typical cost to recharge $0.60
Equivalent fuel economy (city) 512 MPGe (0.46 L/100 km)
Charge time, empty to 95% 7.4 hours
CHAdeMO charge time to 95% (acc.) 1 hour
Weight 260 lb (118 kg)
Seat height 31.1 inches (790 mm)
MSRP** $10,490.00

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rosser.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week - 2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Vote & Discuss

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Brand new for 2013... could this be the electric motorcycle we have all been waiting for?? (ie, "cheap" and has range to commute on? Or is it a fail?)

You decide!

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Gonna have to get a super loud stereo to play the sounds of a custom exhaust, remember, loud pipes save... LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

dr_bar wrote:Gonna have to get a super loud stereo to play the sounds of a custom exhaust, remember, loud pipes save... LOL
You are right, for a city bike you really don't want a completely quiet bike, other drivers just won't hear ANYTHING beside them and that would increase the chances of a side swipe for sure.

In fact, just two days ago I almost got side swiped by a Ford Bronco, thankfully I had time to react as I saw him come right into my lane, braked and honked. Unusually rare for Houston, but the driver said "sorry" in his mirror and when we pulled up to a red light, opened his door and apologised. +1

But yes, no sound motorcycle? Hmmm...

Mike

snakedoctEr726
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '11 BMW K1300S

#5 Unread post by snakedoctEr726 »

I voted fail because it's an ugly, slow bike with no range. Why anybody would spend $8000 on this is beyond me.
Last edited by snakedoctEr726 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#6 Unread post by madjak30 »

At first glance, it reminded me of a Buell Blast...with the minimal tail and standard riding position...but it could only be used as a commuter, not even for evening rides. Great economy and good shelf life of battery, but the range is aweful!!

Voted: FAIL

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#7 Unread post by pchast »

I want one. I can do all my local riding without concern about fuel and carbs.
My motorcycle is LOUD now. I'd prefer quieter.

Mike, Loud did not stop me from from being run off my lane twice this week.
Once the Jerk was on his cell. The second, the woman never looked both ways
before pulling from her drive way. Luckily I was watching her. I just knew...
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#8 Unread post by BobK »

I'm intrigued by these things. I might just have to buy one.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

I gave it a cool vote, but only because we don't have a "meh" option between cool and uncool.

For what it is, its not too bad. Looks wise there is nothing really that stands out on this bike, its pretty generic looking. Price is fairish and as an urban commuter, its range is good. Its not really meant to be a touring bike, but something to get you from point a to point b in the urban environment cheaply and greenly. Did I say greenly? Well sort of greenly anyways. Electric powered vehicles are no doubt the future of transportation be it cage or bike. Mainly because oil is too damned precious to continue to be wasted in the inefficient internal combustion engines we currently run, especially in the urban sprawl crawl we put ourselves through daily.

However its green Achilles Heel is its batteries. There are three major non-green issues with battery powered vehicles.

1) They have to be charged up by being plugged into the local grid system and in the vast majority of the world that energy is created by electrical generating plants that burn some form of fossil fuels, be it oil based or coal. And the more electrical vehicles plugging into that system to be recharged means greater demand which will lead to an increase in production, demanding more fuel, thus generating more pollution. Basically instead of burning fuel themselves, they have the power companies do it for them.

2) The batteries that make modern electrical vehicles viable are made of "rare earths" and those must be mined, processed and manufactured into batteries. If I recall correctly, there are only two nations with reserves of these rare earths that make mining viable, Canada and China. These rare earths are then shipped to places like India, Thailand and other 3rd world areas to be processed and once processed, shipped to I believe the Netherlands to be made into batteries and then shipped again to manufacturers of the equipment that will use them. Not very green at all.

3) Once these batteries have reached the end of their useful life, they have to be disposed of and replace. Disposal of these batteries is a major environmental issue in that they are not all that recyclable and are toxic. Also, the current replacement cost of them is somewhat prohibitive. To replace the battery pack of the ever popular and hell spawned Toyota Prius costs damn near as much as 1/4 of the buying price of that horrid little car.

Electrical powered vehicles are the way of the future however not battery powered vehicles. The future more then likely is fuel cell or hydrogen technology to power our vehicles.

As for this bike, it is good at what it is, an urban commuter, with decent range for the urban environment, low operating costs, fast(ish) recharging times, and fairly generic bike looks. Consider it not so much as the Model T of the electric biking world, but say something in between the Model T and Daimler/Benz first gas powered buggy.
Always ask why.

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#10 Unread post by BobK »

I don't know this for a fact, it's only what I read in an article about the Zero motorcycle, but they claim that their batteries are very non-toxic:

http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/ze ... ric-bikes/