2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Voted Fail

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser is...

You may select 1 option

View results

DavyP
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2008/Honda/vtx1300

Re: This Week - 2013 Zero XU Urban Crosser: Vote & Discuss

#21 Unread post by DavyP »

3.something gets you 1/2 hr of riding at 77 mph
7 gets you 1 hr at 77 mph :)

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#22 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I was looking at the Z2.8 numbers.

Again, for urban commuting I think this would be practical for a lot of people. I know this -- with the distance I commute, the 2.8 could get me back and forth to work for two weeks for about a buck. That's worth mulling over.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#23 Unread post by madjak30 »

HYPERR wrote:Diesels are the filthiest and the most disgusting engines made today. And of course for obvious political reasons are not regulated by real emission standards so they pollute the planet like crazy with their disgusting fumes and horrific odor. Why not have strict emission standard for diesels like they have for gasoline engines? Because US Congress, et al will never create a law that would for obvious reasons. Even in places they test diesels for emissins, they only test for HC and CO, which is a joke because they do not test for NO which is why diesels continue to get away with murder.

Create a emission standard for diesels that are as strict as for gasoline engines and the planet and the air quality will improve drastically. I will gladly pay my share of increased cost for goods resulting from companies like Caterpillar now having to build engines that meet these requirements instead of building engines that are antique relics from about 50 years ago.

As for passenger cars that burn diesel, they should be all banned as there is no reason for passenger cars to be burning diesels.
Diesels are tested, that's why you only see the VW diesel in economy cars. Mercedes, BMW and Audi also have them and they are also emissions tested...they are premium cars in their markets...passing testing isn't cheap...

Industrial vehicles like transport trucks and construction vehicles have a different test that is done...much more lenient...

As for the emissions testing issue, be careful...our bikes don't do very well when it comes to emissions...check out the Myth Busters episode where they compare a motorcycle to a modern car...they even compared it to an older car and the bikes were terrible...the fuel consumption was definitely better on the bike, but the emissions were aweful...but I'm double bad, I drive a diesel truck and have a bike...but I'm a Redneck from Alberta, so it fits!! :cowboy:

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#24 Unread post by HYPERR »

madjak30 wrote: Diesels are tested, that's why you only see the VW diesel in economy cars. Mercedes, BMW and Audi also have them and they are also emissions tested...they are premium cars in their markets...passing testing isn't cheap...
Most testing standards allow more than twice the NOx for diesels than gas engines. NOx is the main precursor to the oxone layer, the haze you see in polluted cities, and very toxic and harmful to human health. Why do they allow twice the amount for diesels than gas? Because the diesels would never pass the tests otherwise.

madjak30 wrote:Industrial vehicles like transport trucks and construction vehicles have a different test that is done...much more lenient...
Lenient as in non existent or practically non-existent testing of NOx. Every been behind a large diesel commercial truck when it takes off from a stop? Those huge puffs of smelly disgustin pitch black smoke aren't actually the result of perfect combustion by any stretch of the imagination.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#25 Unread post by High_Side »

HYPERR wrote:
madjak30 wrote: Diesels are tested, that's why you only see the VW diesel in economy cars. Mercedes, BMW and Audi also have them and they are also emissions tested...they are premium cars in their markets...passing testing isn't cheap...
Most testing standards allow more than twice the NOx for diesels than gas engines. NOx is the main precursor to the oxone layer, the haze you see in polluted cities, and very toxic and harmful to human health. Why do they allow twice the amount for diesels than gas? Because the diesels would never pass the tests otherwise.

madjak30 wrote:Industrial vehicles like transport trucks and construction vehicles have a different test that is done...much more lenient...
Lenient as in non existent or practically non-existent testing of NOx. Every been behind a large diesel commercial truck when it takes off from a stop? Those huge puffs of black smoke aren't actually water vapors...
The only thing that's worse is the A-holes who take a perfectly good diesel pick-up and intentionally modify it so that it does smoke. If there has ever been a massive cry for attention - this is it.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#26 Unread post by madjak30 »

Yup...over fuelling...some diesel guys think it's cool, I'm not one of those...I'm more into it for the longevity and fuel consumption...not to show my buddies how "cool my rig is"...that's what my bike is for!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#27 Unread post by sapaul »

Yet to be wowed by a total electric bike package, would like to be, I think it is coming
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#28 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:
HYPERR wrote:

Lenient as in non existent or practically non-existent testing of NOx. Every been behind a large diesel commercial truck when it takes off from a stop? Those huge puffs of black smoke aren't actually water vapors...
The only thing that's worse is the A-holes who take a perfectly good diesel pick-up and intentionally modify it so that it does smoke. If there has ever been a massive cry for attention - this is it.
Crazy question but, why would you want to intentionally modify a diesel pick up so that it does smoke?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#29 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

In case the oil slicks and little road bombs that Q installed on your ride fail to defeat persuing henchmen.

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#30 Unread post by BobK »

JackoftheGreen wrote:In case the oil slicks and little road bombs that Q installed on your ride fail to defeat persuing henchmen.
I really hate it when that happens.