2013 Cleveland CycleWerks (CCW) Heist: Cool Factor 56.7%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Cleveland CycleWerks Heist is...

You may select 1 option

View results

sheister
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2012

Re: This week: 2013 Cleveland CycleWerks (CCW) Heist: Vote N

#21 Unread post by sheister »

It seems the build quality problems are across the board. There have been many of the similar issues reported with tha misfit model as well. I can't imagine it will be different for tha misfit as they all seem to be made out of the same materials. Hell, in one of the test ride videos on tha ace, a brake caliper fell off.

Edit: the video was of tha misfit
Last edited by sheister on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#22 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Do you have a link to that video?
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Bullet Bill
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Nighthawk 250

#23 Unread post by Bullet Bill »

I saw that too. It was tha Misfit, in the Ride Apart comparison video for city bikes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-bW_w4RpV4

EDIT: The brake caliper is more of a retailer issue... looks like the problem was an insecure bolt after assembly. Still, keep the comments rolling, owners/former owners.

storysunfolding

#24 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Bolt backed out, that's surprisingly common across all bikes right out of the dealer. It's why the 500 mile check up is important to make sure everything is still in place and nothing is vibrating loose.

It's also why you should be checking the bolts all over your bike on a regular basis. I'm amazed at how many times a friends foot peg looked off and came away in my hands when I tugged on it.
My Blog

verbalwarfare
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2011 heist

#25 Unread post by verbalwarfare »

It seems that CCW has actually asked for help on this forum; VIA it's facebook page. They would like to counteract the "negative" comments about heist problems. I want to cover a few points here. Their angle is that "we don't know" as we have ever put our tails in the seats. Our opinions are based on racism because it is an asian build bike. Really? Besides the fact that I religiously buy subarus (fuji heavy industry), modify, and race them, let's get right to this not knowing: I posted pics, because I am a long time rider and intend on staying on this forum; as a matter of fact I have reading up on my next ride on the forums. But that is an aside; Go look at my pics. That is indeed me, and me riding my Weaver built heist. I have video posted that shows me in my garage (mind you not my personal garage, but my shop where we service customers cars, and where we are all ASE certified mechanics for a living) repairing my cush drive bushings at roughly 200 miles. Once I have a few minutes free I will start a post with all of this information, including the videos. This is the correct forum to do so, because the point of this seems to be to inform all prospective, newb, and experienced riders about bikes of all types; but this specific thread is not. So I will leave this thought with you- The info is out there in the ether. It is as easy as googling ta heist problems. Cleveland Cycle Werks can ignore these problems all they like, can try to minimize them, but we all know how it is. If you have a good experience with a company, you tell a few, If you have a bad experience, you tell EVERYONE. https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4b502ec75a
Last edited by verbalwarfare on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bikes owned 1986 Cr125
1977 Honda CB 550F
1994 Honda CBR 600 F2
1998 Ducati 748S
2001 Suzuki Katana 600
2011 Weaver CCW heist
a neato schwinn with the coolest bell horn ever.

jstone138
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 CCW tha Heist

#26 Unread post by jstone138 »

I have 2009 Heist that I have owned for almost a year now. It is not only the first bike I have ever owned but also the first bike I heve ever ridden, aside from the practice bikes at the Basic Riders Course. When I decided to finally buy a motorcycle, in early 2010, I did a fair amount of research on the internet. I knew I wanted something that I could handle and feel comfortable on but also that I wasnt embarassed to ride. I came across all the big name small displacement bikes and was instantly turned off by how lame they looked. Finally I found tha Heist and was instantly drawn in by the look and style. At that time there was not alot of info or reviews on the bike or company so I called one of the numbers listed on their contact page. I was surprised that an actual person answered and spent a hour talking to me and aswering all my questions. He put me in contact with a local dealer and even sent me a couple shirts. It was over a year later that I was finally able to purchase the bike. Let me add here that I have no mechanical skills what so ever. I know nothing about cars, motorcycles or anything mechanical. That was actually a big factor in choosing the Heist, I wanted something I could work on and learn to fix. With the type ofengine the Heist has I can do that. Like I said at the begining I have had my Heist for a almost a year now and I could not be happier with it. Its everything I wantes in a first bike and more. Of course I plan on moving up to a bike with a larger engine now that I am more confident in my riding but I will never get rid of my Heist. I have not had any of the problems other people have encountered and other than general maintenance or upgrades, I have not had to have it in a shop to be fixed. I think alot of the problems are occuring because of bad or lazy dealers nit dong proper pre selling assembly ( I cant think of the proper term right now) You also have to be alot more vigilant with your pre ride go over of the bike because it is a hard tail and stuff is gonna come loose during rides. Loc tite has become my best friend. I get tons of compliments on my bike and have even won bike of the nite at a couple of bike nites. If you take care of your Heist she will take care of you. Its definately not a bike that you can just get on and ride and not put any time wrenching on it....but to me thats half the fun of owning one. I know this was a little long winded but I wanted my experience to be noted. Tha Heist is a great little bike and CCW has been great everytime I needed anything. The dealer from 233 Customs that I bought the bike drom has become a good friend and if I ever have a question about the bike I can ask him or any of the other Heist owners who have all become good friends. Its a small but loyal group of owners and if anything is needed they are there for you. And oh yeah I voted Awesome.

sheister
Rookie
Rookie

#27 Unread post by sheister »

Point is, this bike is for the beginner that likes to wax poetic about the idea of being out on a motorcycle and in actuality really enjoys spending more time tightening bolts and adjusting the valves than actually being out on the bike riding. There are few and far between owner's of this bike that haven't had some troubling issues. There was one guy who had a complete motor failure after something like 300 miles on the motor. If you really enjoy being in the garage and on the telephone with distributors, this is the bike for you.

storysunfolding

#28 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I find the picture of the facebook page disturbing. I would love to hear from the owners of Cleveland CycleWerks on why I am a racist for not liking their motorcycle. I guess being in the same company as Motorcycle Consumer News isn't the worst place to be.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012NovMisfit.pdf
My Blog

sheister
Rookie
Rookie

#29 Unread post by sheister »

You would think they could at least get it together for review bikes. When a company can't do that, consumers should be very cautious.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#30 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Yeah, that Facebook page link is more than a little disturbing.

We just got done Failing a $30,000 Indian, and Polaris never got around to calling us a bunch of uncultured college kids with heads full of coke. That CCW saw fit to trash the user base here at TMW because we weren't liking like their bike speaks volumes about their business model and their leadership.

Also, anyone else noticed there's been a sharp increase in SPAM just in the last couple weeks?