2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniv - Coolness Factor: 81.25%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniv is...

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniv - Coolness Factor: 81.25%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniversary on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ersary.htm

2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniversary

Everyday usability

With its thin waistline and wide handlebars, the Monster 696 provides unrivalled ergonomics, striking a carefully designed balance between performance and everyday usability that will appeal to a wide range of riders. Sport-derived chassis technology and the proven power and flexibility of the legendary Ducati L-Twin engine, make the Monster 696 as comfortable in city traffic as on the open road. Enhancing the "less-ismore" philosophy that has made the Monster a global legend, the Monster 696 continues to redefine expectations. Every finely engineered element of the chassis and engine is on display, allowing its true beauty to be showcased for all to see.

Riding the 696

The riding position of the Monster 696 has been specifically designed to put the rider firmly in control. With its low 770mm (30.3in) seat height, easy-to-reach handlebars and user-friendly 4-point adjustable levers, every rider will find it easy to master.

The beautifully sculpted fuel tank cover allows maximum comfort and control and the narrowing of the "waist" area of the 696 has the same effect as lowering the seat height, making it easier to get both feet flat on the ground. Careful attention to every detail has led to a substantial weight saving, making the Monster 696 the lightest in its class at an impressive 161kg (355lb) (dry weight).

Passenger comfort and safety arealso carefully considered, with neat, under-seat grab handles moulded into the seat unit maximising pillion security without detracting from the legendary Monster 696 styling, or external grab-handles available as an accessory from Ducati Performance.

696 power trip

The 696 engine produces 80hp (59kW) and 50.6lb-ft (7kgm) of torque ensuring a smooth and powerful delivery for a relaxed and enjoyable ride as well competitive and owner-friendly service intervals of 7,500 miles (12,000 kilometres).

The highly efficient, lightweight engine uses a bore and stroke of 88x57.2mm and, like the 796, features an advanced APTC 'wet' clutch. With a 'slipper' type action that prevents destabilising of the rear-end under aggressive down-shifting, the APTC clutch also gives the extra benefit of a super-light feel at the lever, a great benefit in stop-start city traffic. The oil-bath clutch represents a power-enhancing weight reduction over the 'dry' system as well as having a considerably quieter operation.

Providing a deep and rich exhaust tone within current regulations is no mean feat, but the Monster 696 definitely provides Ducati's famous L-Twin sound. Its bold, high-level twin mufflers not only make a striking style statement, but also provide a healthy increase in power and torque and ideal positioning for two lambda exhaust gas sensors, crucial for the optimisation of fuelling and emissions.

696 chassis

Outstanding handling and control is provided by 43mm Kayaba forks offering 120mm (4.7in) of finely controlled travel. At the rear, a progressive Sachs monoshock unit provides adjustability in both spring preload and damping.

Lightweight 3-spoke aluminium alloy wheels increase agility and reduce rider effort and use 120/60ZR front and 160/60ZR rear Pirelli Angel ST tyres. The end result provides a light, predictable and confidenceinspiring "feel" with outstanding stability at a wide range of speeds.

The Brembo brakes deliver exceptional braking power front and rear, enhancing rider safety. 320mm front floating discs are gripped by 4-piston, radially mounted callipers, while a 245mm rear disc works in combination with a twin-piston calliper. This powerful braking set-up offers unrivalled feel and feedback that inspires confidence across a broader spectrum of riding abilities. Riders looking for even more security will benefit from the optional ABS system.

Every carefully selected component of the Monster 696 has a net benefit to the overall weight of the machine and not only enhances manoeuvrability and ease of use, but also contributes directly to increased performance of both braking and acceleration.

Celebrating 20 years of iconic Monster style

The Monster family reaches a milestone 20 years of production in 2013 and Ducati celebrates the iconic naked motorcycle with special 20th Anniversary editions of its latest 696, 796 and 1100EVO models.

Standing proudly alongside the exclusive Monster Diesel, this bold range of lifestyle motorcycles is engineered with high attention to user-friendly and safety-conscious detail ensuring the Monster's cult status remains as authentic as ever.

With stylish Trellis frames, excellent chassis components and torque-laden, Desmodromic engines giving that unmistakable sound and character, the entry-level 696 and premium mid-range 796 Monsters provide a desirable way to enter the world of Ducati.

2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniversary - USA Specifications/Technical Details
MSRP Price: See dealer for pricing

Engine
TYPE
L-Twin cylinder, 2 valve per cylinder Desmodromic, air cooled
DISPLACEMENT
696cc
BORE X STROKE
88 x 57.2mm
COMPRESSION RATIO
10.7:1
POWER
58.8kW - 80hp @ 9000rpm
TORQUE
7.0kgm - 50.6lb-ft @ 7750rpm
FUEL INJECTION
Siemens electronic fuel injection, 45mm throttle body
EXHAUST
2 aluminum mufflers
Transmission
GEARBOX
6 speed
PRIMARY DRIVE
Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.85:1
RATIO
1st 32/13, 2nd 30/18, 3rd 28/21, 4th 26/23, 5th 22/22, 6th 24/26
FINAL DRIVE
Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 45
CLUTCH
APTC wet multiplate with hydraulic control
Chassis
FRAME
Tubular steel Trellis frame
FRONT SUSPENSION
Marzocchi 43mm upside-down forks
FRONT WHEEL
3-spoke light alloy 3.50 x 17
FRONT TYRE
Pirelli Angel ST 120/60 17"
REAR SUSPENSION
Progressive linkage with preload and rebound Sachs adjustable monoshock
REAR WHEEL
3-spoke light alloy 4.50 x 17
REAR TYRE
Pirelli Angel ST 160/60 17"
FRONT WHEEL TRAVEL
120mm (4.7in)
REAR WHEEL TRAVEL
148mm (5.8in)
FRONT BRAKE
2 x 320mm discs, 4-piston radial caliper
REAR BRAKE
245mm disc, 2-piston caliper
INSTRUMENTATION
Digital unit displaying: Speedometer, rev counter, clock, scheduled maintenance warning, oil temperature, trip fuel, air temperature, lap time, warning light for low oil pressure, fuel level, fuel reserve, neutral, turn signals, overrev, immobilizer. Ready for DDA system
Dimensions and weight
DRY WEIGHT
161kg (355lb) / 163kg (359lb) ABS version
WET WEIGHT
185Kg (407lb)
ABS WET WEIGHT
186kg (410,1lb)
SEAT HEIGHT
770mm (30.3in)
WHEELBASE
1450mm (57.1in)
RAKE
24°
TRAIL
87mm (3,42 in)
FUEL TANK CAPACITY
15l - 3.8 gallon (US) 13.5l - 3.6 gallon (US) ABS version
VERSIONS
Dual seat
Warranty
WARRANTY
2 years unlimited mileage
VALVE CLEARANCE CHECK
7.500m
Emissions and Consumption
STANDARD
follows the US Federal Regulation

More photos and information: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... ersary.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

Re: This week: 2013 Ducati Monster 696 20th Anniv: Vote Now

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Blast from the past, dying icon or timeless naked?
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#3 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

That's one tough looking bit of machinery. It's a little more architectual than usually catches my interest, and I'd like to offer a big plate of spaghetti to the person who could fit their rump on that vinyl coffee coaster they call a pillion. But my chest gets warm just looking at this, and that's worth a Cool.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote: The riding position of the Monster 696 has been specifically designed to put the rider firmly in control. With its low 770mm (30.3in) seat height, easy-to-reach handlebars ......
I swear Mike just posted this up to get me going! :shooting:

The handlebars are easy to reach as the seat slopes so hard towards them that you cannot help but reach them! :rant:
And thus begins my rant about the somewhat frustrating machine that replaced one of my favorite machines (the Ducati S2R800), that Mrs. High_Side had previously owned....

The issue is that I want to rant about my perspective, but really it is her bike and HER perspective is quite a bit different. The one thing that we DID agree on was the seat. Hands down, the worst seat I have ever owned on a motorcycle. Not because it didn't have enough padding or wasn't wide enough - it was simply the slope of the wretched thing that made it suck so much. Jen was a trooper, because she actually toured on it that way for a couple years, usually in complete agony by the second day. The solution? Budget $400 for an aftermarket Seargent seat that completely fixes the problem. Experimenting with extra aftermarket seat cushions will only prolong your pain.

The next issue is maintenance. This does not so much bother her, so much as "pee" me off. The previous old school monster has a nice hinge under the tank. Do you want to remove the battery? Easy - unleash the seat with your key, flip the latch at the front of the tank, tilt it up and your there. Air filter too. Beautiful. The new bike? The battery is roughly in the same location but you will be unleashing 17 screws to get to it as well as sliding the "floating tank under the tank" out of and back in to position. They went from a fantastic design to something completely moronic. Now I trickle charge the battery all winter and say screw it. Not a huge deal but kind of symbolic of some of the design that went in to the bike.

As for how does it run? Like the other recent Ducati I've owned (the GT1000), super lean form the showroom. While the GT was almost unrideable in stock form, this one is better, but not nearly as good as the older Monster. If this kind of thing doesn't bother you (like Mrs.HS), then it is not a big deal. For me though it bugs me to have to spend money to fix a stock, brand new bike and I would have sold it (like the GT). But for Mrs HS, she loves the bike, and to her it IS worth fixing. Thus we have now purchased Arrow pipes for it and it is currently in the shop getting ecu work with the dyno.

So that's really the deal. I really preferred the old S2R800 that she owned, but for her the 696 checks many more of the right boxes. Being small, there are very few sport bikes that fit the bill, and this one fits perfectly. The narrow tires it runs (160 rear vs. 180 on the S2R), make the bike more flickable, and the handling more balanced. And it's pearl white - this had her at "Hello".
It may require work to make it what you want, but having test ridden, and even owning other bikes during her time with the 696, she still loves it, and gives it a "cool" only because it took some work to make it right. And that makes my rating not really matter....

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

Fail....

The Monster was one of the best looking bikes ever made and a true icon for Ducati.
The re-do is quit mfugly, unoriginal, and does no justice to such an iconic bike.

The interest in the Monster has dwindled so much, you don't even hear about the bike anymore.
The dearth of acitivity here pretty much concurs with my above assertion.

I don't think I have ever seen one on the road... :shock:

This area used to be flooded with the old Monsters back in the days.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

It's a descent starter or women's bike as it's tame and lighter with fair to good breaking. The guys that ride Duc's with us kinda steer more to the 848 or hypermotards but alas Duc's are to pricey for me. I gave it 2 points.
there aint nothin like it

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

When the 696 was first launched, I thought it wasn't as classically good-looking as the previous Monsters. I think a bit of time has been kind to the design though, and now I think it's quite a well-done evolution of the Monster look. In fact, I find older Monsters a bit dated now. I also prefer the ergos of the current Monsters, although given a choice, I think the 796 is the best looking of the line (single-sided swingarm adds a lot of sexy points).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I do love the look of a Ducati Monster, but after riding Mrs. High_Side's last summer I can't give this one an Awesome, just a Cool. But damn is it a sexy looking ride!!! Every time they update the Monster it looks better and better, IMO.
Andrea :sun:

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#9 Unread post by sapaul »

I gave it an awesome form one perspective only, it's ridability, it can be very well behaved or it can be a screaming street monster (I made a funny again) the balance really is first class and you can ride it without thinking. Everything is there to hand and everything seems to fit.

Always did like the look, still like the look of this one.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#10 Unread post by BobK »

I never see these on the road; I just hear a roar and a blur goes by. They're very popular in this part of the world.