2013 Ural Gear-Up : Coolness Factor = 64.0%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Ural Gear-Up is..

You may select 1 option

View results

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: This week: 2013 Ural Gear-Up : Vote Today

#21 Unread post by Wrider »

Tony216 wrote:Motorcycles are so supposed to be practical?

Let's face it, if practicality was the only important factor in buying a motorcycle, we'd all be driving a Ford Focus.

While it's a not a bike I would be interested in for myself; I can understand the appeal of buying a brand new, old POS. If I had more money to spend on toys, I would love a Morgan. Much like a Morgan, I don't think Ural is trying to market this bike as anyone's primary means of transportation. It's opportunity to drive a time machine. IMO, that's cool.
Not necessarily. My motorcycle is very practical for my uses. I get my speed bug out, I get my performance bug out, it's easier to park at my school than my car, and I get 40 mpg doing it.
Besides there is no way I'm driving a focus... And that's coming from a guy who owns a Subaru Forester... Aka the "lesbian mobile".
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#22 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

The post on the previous page is not mine??????????????
there aint nothin like it

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#23 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

IMO motorcycles are a part of the soul it either moves you or it doesn't. The history of the machine the Ural represents is what makes it awesome to me. I love the old WWII stuff from Panzer III to T-34 to matilda tanks to jeeps through kubel wagons it's all awesome to me.

Just throwing a sidecar on a small cc japanese machine couldn't do it for me sorry. It is practical but I never ride the highways unless I have to and my Buell will go as fast as I need to so a nice slower paced nostolgic machine.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#24 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Nostolgic? :lol: Spent a lot of time with the Germans or Russions during WWII did you? Throwing a sidecar on a small cc Russian bike apparently does it for you though...
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#25 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

What are you talking about?

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#26 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I spend a lot of time with Germans and Russians some of which were in WWII as well. I really love all the WWII stuff . What is your problem with it?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#27 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Most people aren't nostalgic for war, especially not the bloodiest one in history.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#28 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I'm not most people, and it's not the war I am Nostalgic about it's the equipment!! I do study WWII but that doesn't mean I am all about war it's quite the contrary actually but thats not for here.
I would also enjoy riding a WWI era Triumph and an HD WLA so what? We are not reviewing knock off's of them.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#29 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

This is a bike that advertising it does everything and it doesn't under deliver. If there was a bike I would take around the world with me in hostile conditions which I could see a need to repair it along the way, this would be a strong contender.

I do agree with many that the price isn't very attractive, but there are very few side car rig options out there and side cars (I would imagine) are not cheap. Ural does make a lower cost ($10,500) version called the T that has a side car, but with this one you are getting 2WD. Yes, there are ATV's, better bikes and more technology available from basically everyone else, but don't forget these are hand built as well and not as mass produced as a Honda is. Would I like to see the price less? You bet. Would I like it to have more power considering the heavy weight of it? You bet. Would I like to see them offer more up to date (insert any part)? You bet!

But it's still very unique and while you could commute to work driving a SUV in the winter, you just wouldn't get the looks as riding this in the snow to work. And extending your riding into the snowiest days of winter is worth something.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

Re: 2013 Ural Gear-Up : Coolness Factor = 64.0%

#30 Unread post by ZRex »

I watched a show a few years ago about the Australian Outback and the expert on there said you don't see modern cars out there because "if a modern car breaks down you die". Most of us are not going to cross the outback or some desert but the fact is "outdated" simple vehicles are easier to fix than modern complicated ones, so for what this bike is designed for "outdated" is probably better (although disk breaks could not hurt). Like any niche bike it is not going to be great at a lot of different types of riding, but the Ural Gear-Up is just the definition of Awesome to me. Plus it is called the "Cool Wall" not the practical wall or great value wall (although practical and value can be cool.)