2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Voted - 64.4%

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Triumph Thunderbird is..

You may select 1 option

View results

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: This week: 2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Vote Today

#21 Unread post by sunshine229 »

After much thought, I went with Cool.

I am not much of a cruiser person and the look of this bike doesn't really appeal to me, however the unique engine, big gas tank and 100+ customizable parts, I couldn't see myself voting uncool.

I hate voting on bikes like this... :confused2:
Andrea :sun:

Bullet Bill
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Nighthawk 250

#22 Unread post by Bullet Bill »

I must have flip-flopped half a dozen times with my thoughts on this thing. Looks top-heavy, but by all reports it's not. Looks heavy and bulbous, but handles very well. I like it more than I did at the start of the week, but I still feel unqualified to cast a vote.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#23 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I think I would've at least given this a cool for the engine, but I can't help thinking it's uncool compared to the late 90s Thunderbird Sport.

All the cans on one side, twin disks in front, and it looks a heck of a lot more distinct, nimbler and sportier than the current Thunderbird. More of a retro standard than a cruiser, which I'd prefer.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#24 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:I think I would've at least given this a cool for the engine, but I can't help thinking it's uncool compared to the late 90s Thunderbird Sport.

All the cans on one side, twin disks in front, and it looks a heck of a lot more distinct, nimbler and sportier than the current Thunderbird. More of a retro standard than a cruiser, which I'd prefer.
For me, the late 90s Thunderbird Sport is more awesome of a bike for the "Thunderbird" name. It isn't the first time that a manufacturer has taken a name from their line up and re-vamped the look of a bike, the Honda Nighthawk comes to mind:

Cruiser Nighthawk

Sport Nighthawk

Standard Nighthawk
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#25 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Does the Thunderbird live up to it's historical name? Will it leave a mark for itself in the motorcycle world? These are the questions that were discussed and it's a hair-splitting debate. It is easy to look back into history with 20/20 hindsight, but when you are living it the answers are never as clear.

Your Coolness Factor of the 2013 Triumph Thunderbird is..

Awesome (3 points) 29% 29% [ 12 ]
Cool (2 points) 45% 45% [ 19 ]
Uncool (1 point) 17% 17% [ 7 ]
Fail (0 point) 10% 10% [ 4 ]

Total votes : 42

Average points per vote: 81/42 = 1.93
Standardized to a maximum of 3 points: 1.93/3 x 100 = 64.4
...Therefore, this bike ranks a Coolwall Factor of 64.4%
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#26 Unread post by ceemes »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:I think I would've at least given this a cool for the engine, but I can't help thinking it's uncool compared to the late 90s Thunderbird Sport.

For me, the late 90s Thunderbird Sport is more awesome of a bike for the "Thunderbird" name. It isn't the first time that a manufacturer has taken a name from their line up and re-vamped the look of a bike, the Honda Nighthawk comes to mind:

Cruiser Nighthawk

Sport Nighthawk

Standard Nighthawk
To me, Honda really screwed the pooch when they revamped the Sabre name.

It went from this, a mean hot V4 naked sport (this is my V-45, still have, its gathering dust awaiting restoration)Image

To this god awful twin cyclinder cookie cutter cruiser. :wallbash: :puke: :vomit:

The T-Bird may be leaning more towards the cruiser end of the styling spectrum, but it still has more then a few naked standard elements in it.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#27 Unread post by HYPERR »

jstark47 wrote:How the heck does a 270 crank equate to a fail?? :blink: Bonneville Americas, Speedmasters, and Scramblers have had 270 cranks for years. I don't hear you guys hating on those bikes...... ???
The only reason they put the 270 crank in those bikes is to make it sound like a V-Twin, which is a joke. The parallel twin is a far better sounding engine than a V-Twin. Nothing says MOTORCYCLE! like a parallel twin or a big thumper. Why resurrect the iconic Triumph name, build the trademark parallel twin for it, just to dumb it down to make it sound like a V-Twin??? :frusty:

The only possible exception may be the Scrambler where the dumbed down 270 crank may give better traction off road over the 360 crank. That being said, I doubt anyone that buys the scrambler is going to do any off roading more than gravel roads or dirt roads.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

Re: 2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Voted - 64.4%

#28 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I hate the added balancer to reduce vibration. Sure it brings the torque down low in the rev range, but why would you buy that big of a motor and work to keep the revs down.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: 2013 Triumph Thunderbird: Voted - 64.4%

#29 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Harmonics maybe IDK perhaps it'll grenade if you over rev it?
there aint nothin like it